ADVERTISEMENT

Any news of Cameron Johnson's sitting out if transferring to an ACC

I don't blame Cam for leaving and I don't think he owes Pitt anything but I do believe that he should have avoided the ACC in his search for a new school. By all accounts he knew Pitt would block and went ahead with attempting to transfer to UNC anyways. What was the expected outcome aside from making Pitt look bad?

As for the tools in the media bashing Pitt, they should direct their ire elsewhere. Pitt would be foolish to make an exception to the rule for Cam. If they let Cam go, what happens in a few years if another kid wants to go to Syracuse?

Then you let them go to Syracuse. UNC has already been in this position, and we let Thorpe transfer to UVa where he immediately started. A school should have ZERO say over where a GRADUATE transfers.

I don't blame Cam for leaving and I don't think he owes Pitt anything but I do believe that he should have avoided the ACC in his search for a new school. By all accounts he knew Pitt would block and went ahead with attempting to transfer to UNC anyways. What was the expected outcome aside from making Pitt look bad?

As for the tools in the media bashing Pitt, they should direct their ire elsewhere. Pitt would be foolish to make an exception to the rule for Cam. If they let Cam go, what happens in a few years if another kid wants to go to Syracuse?

Then you let them go to Syracuse. UNC has already been in this position, and we let Thorpe transfer to UVa where he immediately started. A school should have ZERO say over where a GRADUATE transfers.

If you want to be "pro-player," then I think any player should be allowed to transfer to any school without sitting out. However, if you have any transfer restrictions at all, I think the old graduate transfer rule of having to truly he transferring because your school doesn't have the grad program you want should still apply.

If Bilas is so concerned about the inhumanity of this rule, that apparently is observed by other ACC schools, why doesn't he stop drawing a paycheck from ESPN, quit thinking in 144 character sound-bites, and put that law degree to work by changing the NCAA from within?

If they allowed transferring without any waiting period kids would leave school a week or two into practice . The coach yelled at him or another kid at your position is better than you , sitting out a year makes you think a little harder about your decision , not such a bad thing .
No one trades a star /good player to a team that's in their division , just isn't done .

Blocking a player from transferring to an opponent is the norm, not the exception. Allowing a player you don't care about to go to a weaker program is not the same as letting the best team in the conference take your best returning player. Anyone using Thorpe's transfer as an argument as to what Pitt should do is an idiot.

Bilas can be like Ron Cook at times. He just says things to hear himself talk.

Blocking a player from transferring to an opponent is the norm, not the exception. Allowing a player you don't care about to go to a weaker program is not the same as letting the best team in the conference take your best returning player. Anyone using Thorpe's transfer as an argument as to what Pitt should do is an idiot.

Bilas can be like Ron Cook at times. He just says things to hear himself talk.

Right, and if you are going to remove transfer restrictions, do it across the board at the NCAA level for graduate and non-graduate transfers. Take the decision out of the hands of the school. Pitt was just following a precedent here.

I still contend it is the right decision given that the current restrictions are in place. Pitt gave Cam the opportunity to become a fringe NBA prospect and I find it odd that he tried to transfer to UNC. Not saying Cam is a bad kid or anything but it feels like a disrespect to Pitt, especially if they told him they would block ACC school ahead of time. I'm probably in the minority here, not sure. But there are plenty of competitive, non-ACC schools on which Cam could showcase his skills and win.

Easy position for a school like UNC to take when no one truly graduates, either because they jump right to the NBA or they can't even read.

Right, and if you are going to remove transfer restrictions, do it across the board at the NCAA level for graduate and non-graduate transfers. Take the decision out of the hands of the school. Pitt was just following a precedent here.

I still contend it is the right decision given that the current restrictions are in place. Pitt gave Cam the opportunity to become a fringe NBA prospect and I find it odd that he tried to transfer to UNC. Not saying Cam is a bad kid or anything but it feels like a disrespect to Pitt, especially if they told him they would block ACC school ahead of time. I'm probably in the minority here, not sure. But there are plenty of competitive, non-ACC schools on which Cam could showcase his skills and win.

As a fringe NBA prospect, I find it strange that he would go any- where that he would not be the main man. I would think that he would want to showcase his ability. I had no problem with his transferring if he felt he wanted a better supporting cast, but with the schools he is talking to it appears that he would rather be part of the supporting cast. Maybe he feels he has a better shot at a national championship than an NBA contract.

As a fringe NBA prospect, I find it strange that he would go any- where that he would not be the main man. I would think that he would want to showcase his ability. I had no problem with his transferring if he felt he wanted a better supporting cast, but with the schools he is talking to it appears that he would rather be part of the supporting cast. Maybe he feels he has a better shot at a national championship than an NBA contract.
JS....UNC lost a lot of offense this year. Roy is a good offensive coach....Cam would get lots of good shots there.
It looks like a moot point. If Stallings gives the OK, after his hissy fit when Jeter left Vandy, he's a total jackass.
I hated seeing Cam go....but Pitt should enforce their position. Good luck to the kid.

Is Bilas issue with Pitt not giving the exception, or with transfer rule in general?
The transfer rules allow Cam to go anywhere because he is a Graduate Transfer. ACC's own rules have an exception for transfers in conference that allows in conference transfers for grad transfers without sitting out.

Him mot being able to go to an ACC program without sitting out is a Pitt decision that is beyond what the rules allow. That is what Bilas disagrees with.

Either change the rule or do not make individual schools scapegoats. Bilas would not have said a word if this were Duke, rather than Pitt.

Here is the rule you say needs changed...

Atlantic Coast Conference

Article VI. RULES OF ELIGIBILITY APPLICABLE TO ALL SPORTS

Section VI-2. Intra-Conference Transfer Rule.

A student-athlete who transfers directly to an ACC institution from another ACC institution and who was recruited by the institution from which they are transferring, for whom the athletics department interceded in the admissions process, or who received any athletically related financial aid during the academic year immediately prior to the transfer is required to complete one (1) academic year (two full semesters or three full quarters) of residency at the certifying ACC institution before being eligible to compete for or to receive athletically related financial aid from the certifying institution. Such an academic year of residency shall count as one of the student-athlete’s four (4) permissible seasons of competition permitted under NCAA legislation. During such a year of residency, the student-athlete is permitted to practice pursuant to NCAA eligibility rules regarding practice eligibility. A transfer student-athlete admitted after the twelfth day of class may not utilize that semester or quarter for the purpose of establishing residency. Waivers of this ACC rule may be considered by the ACC faculty athletics representatives, acting as a committee of the whole, provided the student-athlete has qualified for an exception or waiver of the NCAA four-year college transfer rule. Further, the waiver request must demonstrate objective evidence that proves the student-athlete’s extraordinary personal hardship necessitates the transfer to another ACC institution. (Revised: February 2006, October 2008)

a. GRADUATION EXCEPTION. A student-athlete who receives a baccalaureate degree at one member institution and who has been admitted into a degree program at another member institution may transfer to another member institution without being subject to the intra-conference transfer rule. NCAA transfer regulations would apply. (Revised: February 2006)

Reactions: seabrooksfan
JS....UNC lost a lot of offense this year. Roy is a good offensive coach....Cam would get lots of good shots there.
It looks like a moot point. If Stallings gives the OK, after his hissy fit when Jeter left Vandy, he's a total jackass.
I hated seeing Cam go....but Pitt should enforce their position. Good luck to the kid.

Ok, that makes sense. But what doesn't make sense is that, given Williams and Stallings are supposedly friends and are in the same conference, UNC would be his choice. Maybe Stallings just thinks Roy is his friend.

Didn't Bob Knight once tell Digger Phelps not to piss him off because he was Digger's only friend? Maybe Ol' Roy told Stallings the same thing.

Here is the rule you say needs changed...

Atlantic Coast Conference

Article VI. RULES OF ELIGIBILITY APPLICABLE TO ALL SPORTS

Section VI-2. Intra-Conference Transfer Rule.

A student-athlete who transfers directly to an ACC institution from another ACC institution and who was recruited by the institution from which they are transferring, for whom the athletics department interceded in the admissions process, or who received any athletically related financial aid during the academic year immediately prior to the transfer is required to complete one (1) academic year (two full semesters or three full quarters) of residency at the certifying ACC institution before being eligible to compete for or to receive athletically related financial aid from the certifying institution. Such an academic year of residency shall count as one of the student-athlete’s four (4) permissible seasons of competition permitted under NCAA legislation. During such a year of residency, the student-athlete is permitted to practice pursuant to NCAA eligibility rules regarding practice eligibility. A transfer student-athlete admitted after the twelfth day of class may not utilize that semester or quarter for the purpose of establishing residency. Waivers of this ACC rule may be considered by the ACC faculty athletics representatives, acting as a committee of the whole, provided the student-athlete has qualified for an exception or waiver of the NCAA four-year college transfer rule. Further, the waiver request must demonstrate objective evidence that proves the student-athlete’s extraordinary personal hardship necessitates the transfer to another ACC institution. (Revised: February 2006, October 2008)

a. GRADUATION EXCEPTION. A student-athlete who receives a baccalaureate degree at one member institution and who has been admitted into a degree program at another member institution may transfer to another member institution without being subject to the intra-conference transfer rule. NCAA transfer regulations would apply. (Revised: February 2006)
Fair enough. Would you please post the NCAA bi-laws regarding academic fraud? It seems as though there were quite a few NCAA infractions that were broken by UNC. We should enforce all laws.

I like how the national media said almost nothing (at least I heard nothing) when stallings wouldn't let Jeter transfer home to Pitt. But holy hell if you don't bend over backwards and change the rules to cater to a blue blood you are wronging the kid. Nothing against cam but seriously, what is wrong with Kentucky or Arizona?

Stallings job is to put the Pitt basketball program in the best position to win as many games as possible. How exactly does letting a kid bypass a rule to play for another team in your conference do that? Big, bad stallings with his swearing and "mean" demeanor does not need to cave on this just so some people don't think he's a total d**k.

It is absolutely ridiculous that people like jay bilas are serious. He's an analyst for espn, an NCAA puppet. It all comes down to that he seriously believes the blue blood schools should be able to do whatever they want and the NCAA should just look the other way, and in cases like this other schools should just roll over and die. I will almost always side with the players, but I can not feel bad for cam when he has the choice of basically any school in America outside of the ACC and the mostly mediocre programs on our non-conference schedule this season.
Bilas most definitely took shots at Stallings for the Jeter thing, too.

If Bilas is so concerned about the inhumanity of this rule, that apparently is observed by other ACC schools, why doesn't he stop drawing a paycheck from ESPN, quit thinking in 144 character sound-bites, and put that law degree to work by changing the NCAA from within?
This is entirely Pitt's decision, though. Other schools, including UNC, have allowed graduate transfers to transfer in conference with no penalty. It is completely on Pitt here. Neither the ACC, nor the NCAA has a rule that Pitt is following or would have to waive. There is no rule, except that the schools can dictate the release.

Fair enough. Would you please post the NCAA bi-laws regarding academic fraud? It seems as though there were quite a few NCAA infractions that were broken by UNC. We should enforce all laws.

Sure. There has been multiple cases regarding substandards classes in regards to Academic Fraud.

In all, NCAA has ruled they do not have jurisdiction over Academics in regards to school standards. Auburn and Michigan are the biggest and most recent cases.

North Carolina has not given such classes to only athletes and more non-athletes than athletes took the "paper" classes which does not refer to fake classes but instead refers to INDEPENDENT STUDY classes, which Pitt, Duquesne, and Cal U all offer. (I went to 2 of the 3 personally and participated in such classes).

The question is easy classes which have reaffirmed accredidation by the Accrediting Agency. Thus, no players were ever inelligible. If they dinged programs for easy classes, then basically every school would be dinged. From Duke's sociology program to Stanfords famed program.

Reactions: NCBlueWonderz
This is entirely Pitt's decision, though. Other schools, including UNC, have allowed graduate transfers to transfer in conference with no penalty. It is completely on Pitt here. Neither the ACC, nor the NCAA has a rule that Pitt is following or would have to waive. There is no rule, except that the schools can dictate the release.
I'm neutral w/r to my thoughts of Pitt and/or Stallings if they decide to allow or block his transfer to UNC or another ACC school. I can see the viewpoint either way.

I guess I'm more disappointed in Cam. I can understand his motivation and reasoning for leaving but he has a good number of schools to choose from. I think he could at least be courteous or respectful enough to not put Pitt in this position to have to make a decision one way or the other. And I 'd also think he'd want to avoid coming back and playing the school he just left anywhere from 1 to 3 times next year.

I'm neutral w/r to my thoughts of Pitt and/or Stallings if they decide to allow or block his transfer to UNC or another ACC school. I can see the viewpoint either way.

I guess I'm more disappointed in Cam. I can understand his motivation and reasoning for leaving but he has a good number of schools to choose from. I think he could at least be courteous or respectful enough to not put Pitt in this position to have to make a decision one way or the other. And I 'd also think he'd want to avoid coming back and playing the school he just left anywhere from 1 to 3 times next year.

Word up!

He had his pick from Kentucky and Arizona it's not like wright and Cleveland state. If he wants to go to unc so bad then sit out. He wants it all. If he had one year maybe but he's got two years. He's got a problem him and Roy should petition the NCAA for a rule change. Alums seem to do Pitt worse then anyone.

Last edited:
Sure. There has been multiple cases regarding substandards classes in regards to Academic Fraud.

In all, NCAA has ruled they do not have jurisdiction over Academics in regards to school standards. Auburn and Michigan are the biggest and most recent cases.

North Carolina has not given such classes to only athletes and more non-athletes than athletes took the "paper" classes which does not refer to fake classes but instead refers to INDEPENDENT STUDY classes, which Pitt, Duquesne, and Cal U all offer. (I went to 2 of the 3 personally and participated in such classes).

The question is easy classes which have reaffirmed accredidation by the Accrediting Agency. Thus, no players were ever inelligible. If they dinged programs for easy classes, then basically every school would be dinged. From Duke's sociology program to Stanfords famed program.
It looks like UNC is trying to spin the truth and spending a boatload of $ to cover things up. Just admit you guys cheated, accept the penalty, and move on.

Yes and no. As I have said before, if you read the rules on grad transfers on the NCAA web site Pitt can put whatever restrictions they want on any grad transfer. However if they attempt to enforce a restriction the player can appeal. And in grad transfer cases the athlete is going to win the appeal almost every single time. If Johnson really wants to go to UNC and Pitt attempts to block it, assuming that Johnson meets the other requirements for a grad transfer, the biggest one being that he has to be admitted to a grad school program at the new institution that the old institution does not offer, then if Johnson appeals Pitt's decision he will win. Not could, not might, will.

So basically, if Johnson really wants to go to UNC and UNC offers some graduate program that Pitt does not offer, Pitt can make it a pain in the arse for Johnson to go to UNC (by forcing him to go through an appeals process with all that entails), but they can't really stop him.

You don't wanna play against a guy who was In your huddle last season. They know everything that your playbook has in it. It won't matter this year because we're awful but it may in the future and you can't set the precedent.

If you can block a player from from transferring to a team that you play, then you damn well better do it. Any team that allows such a transfer either doesn't think that player is very good or is run by a bunch of idiots.

Cam knew this was the case when he decided to transfer. I don't feel bad for him. Frankly, I understood why he was transferring and wished him the best. This whole situation has changed my opinion on that.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
If you can block a player from from transferring to a team that you play, then you damn well better do it. Any team that allows such a transfer either doesn't think that player is very good or is run by a bunch of idiots.

Cam knew this was the case when he decided to transfer. I don't feel bad for him. Frankly, I understood why he was transferring and wished him the best. This whole situation has changed my opinion on that.
Why?

Acting in his best interests is what he should do.

We'll lose by 30+ with or without cam on their roster

By all rights Cam should go to TCU. Dixon is the guy that gave Cam his shot to play in an elite conference. TCU will be a good team next year, and is a good school.

All this amounts to is more bad pub for Pitt. CBS Sports calling out Pitt for holding Cam back. Even if CBS is wrong, still, this is not a time when we need more bad pub. Let him go, so they beat us by 55 instead of 50, who cares?

Perhaps he'd enjoy coming home & torching KS?? Probably not, seems out of character.
My guess he wants to play in Roy's system, a top 5 program with a chance to win a championship.

That makes me feel a little better. But in this situation, it still just comes off as "bow down to the big dogs"
I don't even like Bilas, but I am not sure how you can interpret it that way, if you know his problem is with any transfer restrictions and not the destination prominence.

Why does UNC need a transfer? They are top 3-4 every year in recruiting. We should not try to help UNC out! He has plenty of options outside of the ACC.

While it might not matter this season, Cam knows 100% of Pitt's plays, terminology, etc... Allowing him to transfer to an in conference school makes zero sense for Pitt and sets a bad example moving forward. You are basically handing UNC your playbook as long as Stallings is coach by allowing Cam to go there. Again, while not important this season, or maybe never with UNC specifically because they are at another level. But what happens if later on a kid wants to go to Syracuse or Wake or Virginia, or NC State, or Miami, etc.. teams that we would most likely be in more competition against. You can't allow that.

They gave him his release to 300+ schools of his choosing. Frankly, he is being completely disrespectful to Pitt by trying to do this. He could go to Kentucky, Arizona, etc.... I get the draw of UNC but tough.

If the NCAA changes the rules to prevent schools from putting stipulations in place and everyone follows that then fine. I actually agree with doing that. But Pitt should not be roasted for something 99% of the schools do.

I think it'd be kind of fun seeing Cam come back to the Zoo. I'm envisioning, in the spirit of the giant Steven Adams cutout with the moveable arms, Cam's head photo-shopped on Josh Baskin's body when he's in the oversized suit.

131220034259-big-suit-story-top.jpg

Plus, fun signs such as, "Cam Johnson makes Bill Buckner look like George Brett."

Perhaps he'd enjoy coming home & torching KS?? Probably not, seems out of character.
My guess he wants to play in Roy's system, a top 5 program with a chance to win a championship.
You could be right with either of those guesses. But neither one would change my thoughts of him on this. He could be more respectful and choose from any number of other options available to him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT