ADVERTISEMENT

Cignetti out as OC

So did your hero Nardummy. And then we saw what it looked like the next year when Pickett leveraged Nardummy into retaining Whipple and letting him run the offense and call the plays the way Whipple wanted to, without Nardummy’s input.
Pickett had no leverage. Narduzzi could have told them both to hit the door.

And that's not the way things went down according to Pickett. But it's a good 'I hate Narduzzi' spin you put on it.

For the record, Narduzzi kept Whipple and won the ACC and leveraged that into a lot of money. Whipple & Kenny made a shitload of money too.

And that's not the way things went down according to Pickett. But it's a good 'I hate Narduzzi' spin you put on it.

For the record, Narduzzi kept Whipple and won the ACC and leveraged that into a lot of money. Whipple & Kenny made a shitload of money too.
Ultimately, Pickett wanted to win an ACC championship, improve his draft stock and leave a legacy at Pitt, all of which he did. And he wanted to do it with Whipple by his side.

“If he was gone or if he wanted to retire or if he wanted to take off and play some golf — he loves to play golf. He’s really good, too. Way better than me. I suck. If he left, I was definitely leaving,” Pickett told the Post-Gazette in June. “He’s like family now.”

Ultimately, Pickett wanted to win an ACC championship, improve his draft stock and leave a legacy at Pitt, all of which he did. And he wanted to do it with Whipple by his side.

“If he was gone or if he wanted to retire or if he wanted to take off and play some golf — he loves to play golf. He’s really good, too. Way better than me. I suck. If he left, I was definitely leaving,” Pickett told the Post-Gazette in June. “He’s like family now.”
Like I said, Narduzzi was the head coach. He could have told Whipple to get his gold clubs the hell out of the facility and told Kenny to stay close to the phone on Day 3 of the draft and there's not a damn thing anyone could do about it.

Like I said, Narduzzi was the head coach. He could have told Whipple to get his gold clubs the hell out of the facility and told Kenny to stay close to the phone on Day 3 of the draft and there's not a damn thing anyone could do about it.
And duzzz would have been destroyed Pitt wouldn’t have won and ACC championship and he’d be fired by now. Duzz was at least smart enough to know they weren’t going anywhere without Picket.

Pickett was going to Notre Dame if Whipple didn't come back.

Yes, Narduzzi *could* have told him to go there and not brought Whipple back, but telling your best player, at the most important position on the field, to go kick rocks doesn't feel like the prudent move. He would be a defensive coordinator right now if he had done that. So I would say Pickett did have a ton of leverage in that situation.

Baylor & Tennessee were cheating their ass off to get talent. Same for Hugh Freeze at Ole Miss.

Others have run it with success scoring
points, but they failed to win games at an acceptable clip because it puts far too much stress on a defense. (see Josh Huepel at Mizzou and UCF)

Dino tried it at SU. Charlie Strong at USF. Tennessee paired that thing way the hell down this year because they don't have the talent to run it effectively.

Baylor was a 3* talent team under Briles. They have only ever been a 3* talent team. What are you talking about?

Tennessee cheated to get talent under Heupel? What?

Missouri didn’t run it. Heupel was still a Leach Air Raid guy. Then the TE coach taught him the Veer and Shoot while he was at Missouri, and he implemented it at his next stop.

And when did UCF have these amazing defenses pre and post Veer and Shoot?

Pickett was going to Notre Dame if Whipple didn't come back.

Yes, Narduzzi *could* have told him to go there and not brought Whipple back, but telling your best player, at the most important position on the field, to go kick rocks doesn't feel like the prudent move. He would be a defensive coordinator right now if he had done that. So I would say Pickett did have a ton of leverage in that situation.
1. Of course Narduzzi wasn't stupid enough to do that.

2. I highly doubt Pickett would have went to Notre Dame, regardless.

3. Its impossible to know how it would have played out. There were a lot more players at Pitt between 2020-22 than just Kenny Pickett.

1. Of course Narduzzi wasn't stupid enough to do that.

2. I highly doubt Pickett would have went to Notre Dame, regardless.

3. Its impossible to know how it would have played out. There were a lot more players at Pitt between 2020-22 than just Kenny Pickett.

No, he was 100% going to Notre Dame. Their family's dog is named after Brady Quinn. He spoke to Manning about entering the draft and decided not to do so. So it was Notre Dame if Whipple left or Pitt.

Pickett announced he was coming back December 15th. On December 16th, Pat Narduzzi said it was "safe to say" Whipple would return. A few days later, on December 20th, Jack Coan hit the portal. Pickett was their Plan A.

Baylor was a 3* talent team under Briles. They have only ever been a 3* talent team. What are you talking about?

Tennessee cheated to get talent under Heupel? What?

Missouri didn’t run it. Heupel was still a Leach Air Raid guy. Then the TE coach taught him the Veer and Shoot while he was at Missouri, and he implemented it at his next stop.

And when did UCF have these amazing defenses pre and post Veer and Shoot?
I don't care what star ranking a recruiting service assigned. Baylor was buying players across the state of Texas. They hit on 4 or 5 NFL caliber WRs. They were gray shirting QBs, got Seastrunk to come back to Texas, and they were starting to move their focus to more 4 star guys.

Huepel won with guys recruited by Pruitt.

You can use the veer & shoot, air raid/spread/temp interchangeably as far as the stress it puts on your defense.

When do any of these teams have a defense worth a crap?

You are incorrect
Kenny played another year under the condition his coaches were there .
He could have gone pro and a day 2 pick
Narduzzi isn’t smart enough to actually coach the full team
To his credit he seems to understand that

You are incorrect
Kenny played another year under the condition his coaches were there .
He could have gone pro and a day 2 pick
Narduzzi isn’t smart enough to actually coach the full team
To his credit he seems to understand that
Doubtful he would have been a day 2 pick.

Actually coach the full team??? What the hell does that mean?

I don't care what star ranking a recruiting service assigned. Baylor was buying players across the state of Texas. They hit on 4 or 5 NFL caliber WRs. They were gray shirting QBs, got Seastrunk to come back to Texas, and they were starting to move their focus to more 4 star guys.

Huepel won with guys recruited by Pruitt.

You can use the veer & shoot, air raid/spread/temp interchangeably as far as the stress it puts on your defense.

When do any of these teams have a defense worth a crap?

So you’re acknowledging that Baylor had 3* players, and was a mid-P5 football program, you just think they cheated to even get to that point?

You’re basically moved the goalposts from Waco to Austin with this one.

Tennessee’s defense finished 29th according to F+ this year.

It finished 27th in 2022.

How good is it suppose to be following a mass exodus of players and a new coach/system?

And does Baylor routinely have good defenses pre and post Veer? Because I missed that era of Baylor football when it was a defensive Mecca.

Now do Powell and Borbs

Of course maybe you wait and hire and OC and give them input.

I’d like to see them upgrade The DC position as well

Yes! Exactly. I think you hire the OC, then allow that guy to bring in whomever he wants to make this thing a success. Several coaches I like on this team, but that really doesnt matter. A new OC needs to bring in his staff that can quickly teach his methodology.

Can you imagine the reaction, when you consider that most Pitt fans, especially in the local area are majority Steelers fans as well.
Canada doesn’t have a good track record as an OC. Sure it’s the nature of the sport, but he’s been fired from like 5 of his past 6 jobs.

Stupidest. Tweet. Ever. The OC has nothing to do with "what PN wants to do on defense" nor should it.
Sadly, these idiots, Duzz AND Tomlin both, think of the offense as just caddies for the defense, mainly to run the clock, rest them, carry their bags, bring them Gatorade and towels and not as a primary component of the team.

Stupidest. Tweet. Ever. The OC has nothing to do with "what PN wants to do on defense" nor should it.
Defensive minded head coaches want offenses than run the ball control the clock and let the defense rest.

You don’t see many of those types of offenses in 2023 though. Guess Michigan can be labeled as one

So you’re acknowledging that Baylor had 3* players, and was a mid-P5 football program, you just think they cheated to even get to that point?

You’re basically moved the goalposts from Waco to Austin with this one.

Tennessee’s defense finished 29th according to F+ this year.

It finished 27th in 2022.

How good is it suppose to be following a mass exodus of players and a new coach/system?

And does Baylor routinely have good defenses pre and post Veer? Because I missed that era of Baylor football when it was a defensive Mecca.
Baylor has been buying players since Guy Morriss was there. They obviously didn't have the budget of the big brand Texas schools. Even if they did, they would probably be wise to stay in their lane,

Tennessee's defense was horrible last year. Vols have modified the offense this year because they don't have the players to run it effectively. They don't always try to push the break neck tempo & they are often content to just rely on the ground game.

Right. As opposed to bottom 10 offense and 2-9 records, always the hallmarks of a thriving, robust program.

Your post has the flavor of Narduzzi making himself a national laughingstock by complaining about not running the ball enough after winning 11 games and setting school offense records in 2021. My favorite part of that was that he used the example of a team we beat by 24 points to illustrate his point.

Yeah, but with Narduzzi you have to take all that with a grain of salt. He said this after losing Addison and Pickett, and was after some high profile running back recruits at the time. I think that is almost all of why he said that at the time. If we had a hot shot QB on campus I am certain he would say we need to open it up more have have a passing game

Did Whipple’s high scoring offense mesh with “what Pat Narduzzi wants to do defensively?”

What about Canada’s?

I assume what that means is a ball control type of offense. Which is obsolete. Which means grahnd and pahnd, low tempo, huddle up stuff that—and let me emphasize this for you—HAS NOT WORKED AT PITT UNDER THIS COACH. It worked for Kirk Fernetz this year, because he’s a good coach. But it’s never worked well enough to stick with it for Yabba Dabba Dooz. And it never will.

If Slugduzzi and his bush league staff could recruit and coach up the O line, RB, WR and QB positions worth a hot $hit, maybe we could entertain that kind of thing. But he hasn’t, and he can’t, so we shouldn’t.

Score as often and as many as possible. If the D can’t hold up its end, shame on them.
In both 2016 and 2021, Pitt averaged 31 minutes in time of possession. That's the kind of offense that Narduzzi wants - one that wins the TOP while scoring touchdowns.

Reactions: BTisinDC
Kind of ominous to suggest that one of the qualities an OC needs is to fit in with what the team is doing on the other side of the ball.
I found it to be a weird post too. What does one side of the ball have to do with the other. Besides, Narduzzi hasn’t a clue about the offense side of the ball. He doesn’t care to learn. His unwillingness to be more hands-on with the offense has been his Achilles Heel as a HC.

If he’s not going to change his ways then he at least needs to be smart enough to hire an OC whose offense has scored a ton and won a lot the past few seasons.

Hopefully the first of more to come.
Yeah. Hard to look at the issues with the team and stop with the OC. Poor blocking, Poor running, Poor passing. Poor recruiting.

Don’t know if there will be changes on rhe defensive side, but poor tackling was a serious issue.

Narduzzi needs to be bringing in more quality recruits and transfers each class. More players with immediate impact.

Doubtful he would have been a day 2 pick.

Actually coach the full team??? What the hell does that mean?
It means Narduzzi doesn’t do anything with the offense -
As he has himself said multiple times this season .
Was he lying ?

In both 2016 and 2021, Pitt averaged 31 minutes in time of possession. That's the kind of offense that Narduzzi wants - one that wins the TOP while scoring touchdowns.
Top is a dumb stat
It’s a caveman mentality
If your offense scores 40 / you’re going to win games
Winning is what matters
Not how you win

Reactions: cashisking884
Yeah. Hard to look at the issues with the team and stop with the OC. Poor blocking, Poor running, Poor passing. Poor recruiting.

Don’t know if there will be changes on rhe defensive side, but poor tackling was a serious issue.

Narduzzi needs to be bringing in more quality recruits and transfers each class. More players with immediate impact.
LOL.

What makes you believe that ANY coach that would come to Pitt could bring in more quality players? Honestly, posters here seem to think that Pitt is something that it is not and never will be given the current landscape of college football.

So did your hero Nardummy. And then we saw what it looked like the next year when Pickett leveraged Nardummy into retaining Whipple and letting him run the offense and call the plays the way Whipple wanted to, without Nardummy’s interference.

When was Narduzzi interfering with Whip's offense or play calling? You just made this up... SMF style. I actually can't believe I just read this.

Pickett wanted Whip around and Pickett himself wanted Whip's offense changed to what Pickett liked. It's available somewhere in an interview with Kenny.

Reactions: TD_6082
It's one of the most worthless stats in football. Like Mike Brey and his burn offense in BB.
The top 10 P5 teams in TOP and their wins:

Utah
8​
Georgia
12​
West Virginia
8​
Clemson
8​
Florida
5​
Penn St.
10​
NC State
9​
Michigan
12​
Louisville
10​
Miami
7​

No. Most defensive head coaches don't. Vice versa for offensive coaches.
Like I said. He isn’t capable of coaching the whole team-
So the idea the OC should consult him on anything is idiotic .
Narduzzi wouldn’t even questions about who the starting QB should be all season - said it wasn’t HIS decision
That’s pathetic

The top 10 P5 teams in TOP and their wins:

Utah
8​
Georgia
12​
West Virginia
8​
Clemson
8​
Florida
5​