ADVERTISEMENT

Graduate Transfers - the new free agency of college football

West Coast Panther

Scholarship
Aug 16, 2001
Surprised that no one had posted this already. This is a story from Sports Illustrated on the process of graduate transfers and how players can play for another school without sitting out the requisite one year typically imposed on transfer students.

Pitt is featured prominently through Nate Peterman and now Max Browne. The piece is meant as a debate that a long ago implemented rule is being abused for purposes outside of it's original intent. Speaking out against the process is Nick Saban and our good friend, 'I-just-signed-a-5.8 MM-extension' Jimmy-Franklin. In retrospect, I'm not surprised that Saban and coaches from colleges that actively have top 5 recruiting classes would not be in favor of the system. Instead they think it fair to stockpile these top notch recruits and sit them while their other top recruits get all of the reps. If i was a head coach that consistently won national championships doing this, then I guess I would likely feel the same way. But for players like Max, it gives you a second lease on life when you've played by the rules, but when it's your turn you have trouble making it onto the field.

I would dare say, that given how the process has worked out for the Panthers, that most of us support the grad student transfer process.

Overall, the article is fairly written and in general portrays Duz in a favorable light.

It is worth the read if you have a few minutes.

HTP
WCP

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/08/17/ncaa-graduate-transfer-rules-free-agency

Last edited:
Free agency is one of the reasons I'm no longer an NFL, or any other pro sport fan.

I'll concede that Pitt has benefited from the rules, but I hope we don't start seeing mass roster changes each year.

I'm of the belief that fewer scholarships should be available, so that the top schools can't stockpile as many players. 80? 78? I don't know the right number, but I like the idea of more parity.

The transfer rules are great for the players, and I do not understand how any coach can say anything negative unless they just totally selfilshly don't ever want to lose any players.

Nick Saban last year whined and moaned that his sophomore QB decided to transfer out....when he went all-in with a true freshman QB from game 1?? Zero Class and complete selfishness.

Look at how much class Pat Narduzzi had with Chad Voytik --- why would he hold a kid hostage to be a back-up 'just in case', when he has no future at Pitt? Class and principle. He has his degree, and he is not essential to the program -- let him go to greener pastures and fight for himself, it's all good.

Such nonsense. I just ignore James Franklin because he has zero principles or class, and when he speaks he's just spewing hot carbon dioxide into the environment. Not even a psu thing -- with zero shame I rooted for Bill O'Brien and them when he was there. If psu had a classy, truly good man as a coach, Pitt fans would have so much more respect for psu now too. Franklin is exactly a Todd Graham --- only a snake-oil, con-man that can actually recruit.

Pitt would be in the in some Serious Trouble right now without graduate transfers (Nate Peterman now Max Browne at Quarterback, plus starting TE / H-Back Matt Flanagan) ---> dudes who earned their diplomas, and rightfully came to Pitt to get a higher-degree and hopefully get themselves to the NFL. Thus also greatly benefitting us the process.

The transfer rules are great for the players, and I do not understand how any coach can say anything negative unless they just totally selfilshly don't ever want to lose any players.

Nick Saban last year whined and moaned that his sophomore QB decided to transfer out....when he went all-in with a true freshman QB from game 1?? Zero Class and complete selfishness.

Look at how much class Pat Narduzzi had with Chad Voytik --- why would he hold a kid hostage to be a back-up 'just in case', when he has no future at Pitt? Class and principle. He has his degree, and he is not essential to the program -- let him go to greener pastures and fight for himself, it's all good.

Such nonsense. I just ignore James Franklin because he has zero principles or class, and when he speaks he's just spewing hot carbon dioxide into the environment. Not even a psu thing -- with zero shame I rooted for Bill O'Brien and them when he was there. If psu had a classy, truly good man as a coach, Pitt fans would have so much more respect for psu now too. Franklin is exactly a Todd Graham --- only a snake-oil, con-man that can actually recruit.

Pitt would be in the in some Serious Trouble right now without graduate transfers (Nate Peterman now Max Browne at Quarterback, plus starting TE / H-Back Matt Flanagan) ---> dudes who earned their diplomas, and rightfully came to Pitt to get a higher-degree and hopefully get themselves to the NFL. Thus also greatly benefitting us the process.
Actually Barnett started that game and left the program mid season. That was the problem Saban had with that situation. Barnett was given chances he never deserved. He was awful and a quitter. There was no issue with Bateman, who stuck with the team through the season and then transferred. Chances are neither are able to beat out much worse QBs at much worse programs.

BTW, Saban's issue with the grad transfer loopholes are in line with Narduzzi, even though Saban is the one who benefits. Neither thinks a system where the goliaths can pick off who they want from lesser programs. Blake Barnett and Patrick Bateman don't apply there.

Last edited:
On the one hand, why force a player who has pro-aspirations to stay around for depth who has already graduated and wants an opportunity to start elsewhere? Why stop a player who isn't going to the NFL from pursuing a grad degree in his chosen field?

On the other side of the argument, the rule was created to allow pursuing a grad degree in a field not offered by the school you are leaving. This is where the "cheating" takes place because this aspect is poorly enforced if it is enforced at all. And, essentially all of these transfers with rare exception are motivated for sports reasons rather than the academic ones for which intended--even when the player actually takes the required grad classes after transferring.

Personally, as long as it does more good than harm for Pitt! I am not opposed to the grad transfers taking place. Maybe the answer to the cheating is to blacklist a school for a year for om taking another grad transfer if their most recent one did not attend the required grad classes and get grades in those classes for the full academic year after transferring.

Actually Barnett started that game and left the program mid season. That was the problem Saban had with that situation. Barnett was given chances he never deserved. He was awful and a quitter. There was no issues with Bateman, who stuck with the team through the season and then transferred. Chances are neither are able to beat out much worse QBs at much worse programs.

BTW, Saban's issue with the grad transfer loopholes are in line with Narduzzi, even though Saban is the one who benefits. Neither thinks a system where the goliaths can pick off who they want from lesser programs. Blake Barnett and Patrick Bateman don't apply there.

Barnett just isn't that good. He was pretty much auto-handed the job at ASU and by all accounts it looks like he will be backing up incumbent Manny Wilkins, who was lousy last year.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Playing devils advocate, the players' cynicism (and delusion) has also led to some of this. Too many are far too happy to forsake programs where they'd be in the mix to play quickly and instead sign on to an Alabama or similar, where chances are very good that they'll never see PT due to stockpiled 4 and 5 star talent. They want the guaranteed bling and the chance to piggy back on an almost certain playoff appearance that they had next to nothing to do with. And they've discovered that this rule gives them the best of both worlds. Go to playoffs and/or top bowls for 4 years (with a spotless uniform), then sign up for a year with someone else as a 1 year renegade.

It takes two to tango.

IMO. No coach should EVER complain or whine about players transferring as they jump from job to job while under contract, some only a year into their new contract, some only weeks. So if they can do that, they should have no problem with a player trying to find a better fit. These players have been basically indentured servants. Finally they are getting some freedoms of their own.

Some of the same coaches who complain about grad transfers are the same ones who fought for years against making all scholarships guaranteed for four years instead of just a one year commitment on the school's part. Because these guys care about one thing, and one thing only. What's best for themselves. If they don't think a kid can play for them they think they ought to be able to get rid of the kid, no questions asked. And if they think that a kid might be able to help them then they think that the kid ought to be forced to stay.

Jimmy doesn't understand the academic reason for doing this since there are no post graduate degrees for cutting grass or milking cows.

I read somewhere (sorry, I don't have a link) that the majority of these "grad school" transfers don't proceed very far through the grad school programs that are the key to this rule.
I have no issues with transfers. I can understand making them sit a season, but I don't believe they should lose a year of eligibility.
And if a head coach departs for any reason, players from that school should be able to transfer without restrictions.

I read somewhere (sorry, I don't have a link) that the majority of these "grad school" transfers don't proceed very far through the grad school programs that are the key to this rule.
I have no issues with transfers. I can understand making them sit a season, but I don't believe they should lose a year of eligibility.
And if a head coach departs for any reason, players from that school should be able to transfer without restrictions.
I'd love too see a grace period of kids being able to transfer if the HC leaves. Kind of like what psu was going thru, 90 days for a player to transfer without sitting a year out.

It would be like the Wild West, coaches hanging out on campus, talkin to players about their school when they are coming out of class, lol. More I think about it, maybe have a rule where coaches can't make initial contact.

Reactions: Tbro34
Some of the same coaches who complain about grad transfers are the same ones who fought for years against making all scholarships guaranteed for four years instead of just a one year commitment on the school's part. Because these guys care about one thing, and one thing only. What's best for themselves. If they don't think a kid can play for them they think they ought to be able to get rid of the kid, no questions asked. And if they think that a kid might be able to help them then they think that the kid ought to be forced to stay.

I don't think Brian Kelly or Todd Graham only care about themselves, I am sure they have the best interests of their players (and videographers) at heart.

Reactions: Tbro34

I am sure of this. Just like One and Done hoopers, all they have to do is basically stay eligible for the first semester......

I am sure of this. Just like One and Done hoopers, all they have to do is basically stay eligible for the first semester......
Makes sense for the players going pro but for the players who are not? A lot of these grad programs are 1 year. You already have the spring semester paid for, why the rush to join the working class?

Stay, chase some squirrel around campus, finish the program. Worse ways to spend a spring than on a college campus while someone else is paying the bills.

I'd love too see a grace period of kids being able to transfer if the HC leaves. Kind of like what psu was going thru, 90 days for a player to transfer without sitting a year out.

It would be like the Wild West, coaches hanging out on campus, talkin to players about their school when they are coming out of class, lol. More I think about it, maybe have a rule where coaches can't make initial contact.
Like when RichRod was stalking that recruit outside his high school in Johnstown? LOL

Thank God, it's not like that. With all the coaching changes we've had recently, we would have gotten killed

Coaches that don't like it complain because seeking transfers is extra work and they feel entitled to maintaining depth. A guy like Saban or Kelly sit at top programs and rarely have to work too hard to recruit a kid to their program.

I would advocate allowing a penalty free transfer period from November to NLOI Day for upperclassman. If a coach is bringing in the flavor of the month at my position, I shouldn't have to wait to be replaced and then sit and wait for a penalty free transfer.

P.S.: I also think making a pro-caliber kid wait an extra year to move to the NFL hurts the player. There's no good reason for what we have now other than maintaining a "free" minor league system for the NFL and appeasing the coaches that make it possible.

Coaches that don't like it complain because seeking transfers is extra work and they feel entitled to maintaining depth. A guy like Saban or Kelly sit at top programs and rarely have to work too hard to recruit a kid to their program.

I would advocate allowing a penalty free transfer period from November to NLOI Day for upperclassman. If a coach is bringing in the flavor of the month at my position, I shouldn't have to wait to be replaced and then sit and wait for a penalty free transfer.

P.S.: I also think making a pro-caliber kid wait an extra year to move to the NFL hurts the player. There's no good reason for what we have now other than maintaining a "free" minor league system for the NFL and appeasing the coaches that make it possible.
These are good points and good reasons that players should seek representation as some in northwestern were grumbling about. Not really so much for getting some nominal above table salary (at some schools it would actually likely result in a pay cut). But for more equitable rules like these.

Makes sense for the players going pro but for the players who are not? A lot of these grad programs are 1 year. You already have the spring semester paid for, why the rush to join the working class?

Stay, chase some squirrel around campus, finish the program. Worse ways to spend a spring than on a college campus while someone else is paying the bills.

Oh, I agree. Unless it is to chase millions, I cannot find any reason why anyone would want to leave that bucolic bubble of college life early. My advice, extend it for as long as you can.

Oh, I agree. Unless it is to chase millions, I cannot find any reason why anyone would want to leave that bucolic bubble of college life early. My advice, extend it for as long as you can.
This. What an opportunity for a smart kid. Graduate in 3-3.5 (which is definitely doable with the support and the year long commitment) years and get an MBA or other graduate degree in the other 1.5-2 years. And have a hell of a time along the way.

Coaches can leave at the drop of a hat and get their money.
Players have to sit out a year.
If students get their undergrad degrees, they usually move on. Some with jobs, some not. Some go to grad school. Imagine the furor if a kid who worked in the dorm cafeteria for 4 years on work study was stopped from working in another Commons in pursuit of his grad degree?
Coaches are wealthy hippocrits.
That's why I like Calipari. He tells players the truth...if you want to do what best for me, stay at Kentucky. If you want to do what's best for you, leave.
There's no argument to be made here. The players lived by the rules, whatever original purpose existed.
Good luck to them.
Everyone opposed to this rule should agree to remain in a bad job, house, marriage, pair of shoes for 5 years.

Reactions: pittdan77
On the one hand, why force a player who has pro-aspirations to stay around for depth who has already graduated and wants an opportunity to start elsewhere? Why stop a player who isn't going to the NFL from pursuing a grad degree in his chosen field?

On the other side of the argument, the rule was created to allow pursuing a grad degree in a field not offered by the school you are leaving. This is where the "cheating" takes place because this aspect is poorly enforced if it is enforced at all. And, essentially all of these transfers with rare exception are motivated for sports reasons rather than the academic ones for which intended--even when the player actually takes the required grad classes after transferring.

Personally, as long as it does more good than harm for Pitt! I am not opposed to the grad transfers taking place. Maybe the answer to the cheating is to blacklist a school for a year for om taking another grad transfer if their most recent one did not attend the required grad classes and get grades in those classes for the full academic year after transferring.

I don't have a problem with kids who have graduated moving on to where ever they want. They put at least 3 years in(likely 4). I don't think the ncaa should allow kids to move on a whim, but if they have graduated I don't see any reason they shouldn't be allowed to leave. There is definitely a lot more movement than there was 5 years ago, but I don't see it as a bad thing. Most of the kids moving are unable to crack the starting lineup. Why should Browne have to spend his senior year riding the pine behind one of the best QB's in the country? Let them go and have a shot at playing.

Your guy Jeremiah Taleni, found a home in Florida, with Kiffin's family.

FAU roster complete after a dozen transfers
A rundown on Lane Kiffin's additions to his Florida Atlantic roster.

A dozen transfers later, Lane Kiffin’s roster at Florida Atlantic is now complete as he tries to quickly reverse the trend of three consecutive 3-9 seasons.

Per the Sun Sentinel, the 42-year old Kiffin said in camp this month he was following the Western Kentucky model in building a contender, but he added that taking late transfers is something he’s been doing as an assistant and head coach at previous stops at Alabama, USC and Tennessee.

The difference in Boca Raton is how many scholarships the Owls still have available, allowing them to be aggressive on the transfer wire this close to the season opener.

“I had a lot of guys mention Western Kentucky,” Kiffin said. “Good high school recruiting but then taking transfers that were maybe high-profile recruits, more NFL potential guys that had issue or leaving for playing time or grade issues or something like that and obviously they’ve done a great job of that.

“So I get it, I understand you’re not going to sign 25 great high school players. You’re not going to get Top100 players yet. So I feel you have to go that way. We feel as a staff you have to go that way. That’s what we did with the signing class and ever since. We basically recruit every day not just for classes down the road but for immediate needs.”

Let’s take roll call on the additions by transfer.

• One of the first transfers in was the 247Sports Composite’s No. 2 ranked JUCO pro-style quarterback in De’Andre Johnson, who is still battling it out in fall camp to be the starter with returning QB1 Jason Driskel. He resurrected his college career at East Mississippi Community College after he was kicked out of Florida State for punching a woman in a bar.
  • Ernest Bagner, the nation’s No. 10 JUCO weak-side defensive end out of Riverside Community College.
  • Tim Bonner, a Louisville transfer that was kicked off after an alleged situation with a gun was ranked as the nation’s No. 11 weak-side defensive end out of East Mississippi Community College.
  • Joe Pohiva, an unranked JUCO linebacker out of Laney College.
  • Jeremiah Taleni, kicked off the team at Pittsburgh for disciplinary reasons, Taleni would have been a starter his final season for the Panthers and will play his remaining year of eligibility out with the Owls. Out of Kailua (Hawaii) High, Taleni ranked as the No. 104 defensive tackle in the country in the 2013 recruiting class.
  • Kain Daub was the nation’s No. 4 inside linebacker when he signed with Florida State in 2014. After red-shirting in Tallahassee he spent two years ASA College before arriving in Boca Raton looking to meet his potential as a former touted recruit.
  • William Tuihalamaka signed with San Diego State in 2015 as a three-star recruit out Los Angeles (Calif.) Cathedral, ranking as the No. 63 offensive guard in the country. He left the program later that fall.
  • Listed as a receiver on the Owls roster, D'Anfernee McGriff signed with Florida as a four-star recruit out of Tallahassee (Fla.) Leon in 2015. However he was never able to enroll in Gainesville and ended up at Iowa Western where 247Sports ranked him as the No. 5 athlete in last year’s years class.
  • DeAndre McNeal was a Top247 recruit in the 247Sports rankings and the nation’s No. 19 athlete per the 247Sports Composite when he signed with Texas in 2015. He was later suspended for a violation of team rules and resurfaced at Fullerton College where 247Sports ranked him as the No. 7 receiver in last year’s class.
  • Receiver John Franklin III’s journey has taken him from being a three-star quarterback recruit at Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) South Plantation to enrolling at Florida State in 2013 to East Mississippi Community College, where the 247Sports Composite ranked him as the No. 1 JUCO athlete in the country, to Auburn where he struggled under center to FAU where he’ll add speed and playmaking ability on the perimeter.
  • The 247Sports Composite ranked Chris Robison as the nation’s No. 7 pro-style quarterback when he signed with Oklahoma in February out of Mesquite (Texas) Horn. He was dismissed earlier this month for a violation of team rules but the former four-star recruit quickly found a home at Florida Atlantic.
  • When receiver Jovon Durante signed with West Virginia in 2015 he was a Top247 recruit and ranked by the 247Sports Composite as the No. 18 player in the country at his position. He was an impact player for two years with the Mountaineers catching 60 passes over two seasons.
Back in June Florida Atlantic was predicted by the media to finish fifth in the Conference USA East Standings with Western Kentucky tabbed as the favorites.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT