ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Your List of Favorite Albums ever ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
It seems like we had some good fun with the “Your List of Favorite Music Artists ever” thread. So I thought we’d give it another go this week.

This week’s challenge is a little bit more difficult ... offer “Your List of Favorite Album’s ever!”

Once again, this is YOUR list of YOUR favorites, using whatever criteria you want.

Sure, albums such as Revolver, Exile on Main Street, My Dark Twisted Fantasy, Pet Sounds, Are You Experienced?, OK Computer, Blonde on Blonde or What’s Going On? are unquestionably the greatest and most important ever. But are they really YOUR favorites?

The only rule I’ll put in place is that you can’t name any greatest hits, singles compilations, or soundtrack albums, unless the soundtrack was almost completely composed for the movie. In other words, The Big Chill and Guardians of the Galaxy … no; Saturday Night Fever, … yes.

I’m going to go for a Top 25, but if that’s too many for you, go with a Top 20, or Top 10 or … whatever.

Here goes …

#1 -- Who’s Next? -- The Who – I got turned onto the album around 1980, and still love each and every one of the nine songs on the album. “We’re all wasted!”

The Rest of the Top Ten … (not in any particular order)

The Cars – The Cars – The Cars could never again come close to this masterpiece, but to me, this work sounds as good today as it did 40 years ago. “Always it's some other guy!"
The Pretenders – The Pretenders – No comments here other than: “I shot my mouth off and you showed me what that hole was … for.”
Automatic for the People – R.E.M -- I could put several R.E.M. albums on my list. But this is their best, and every track is perfect. “All of this is coming your way.”
Rumors -- Fleetwood Mac – About five years ago, Paul Rudd and Vanessa Bayer starred in an SNL skit as a divorcing couple who join in their love of “I Don’t Want to Know.” I was amazed at how strong of a song this is while it’s really a secondary song on the album. “Damn the dark, Damn the light!”
Nevermind – Nirvana -- When I first heard “Smells Like Teen Spirit,” I was blown away. I bought Nevermind the next day, and it continued. “Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you”
Kid A -- Radiohead – Probably listened to this album about five times in a row right after I bought it. “This is really happening.”
Astral Weeks -- Van Morrison -- There’s really not a single on the album, but there may not have ever been a more beautiful album, beginning to end, in the history of rock and roll. “And I shall drive my chariot down your streets and cry.”
Wincing the Night Away – The Shins -- Stayed up many nights listening to this album – “I'm a victim to the impact of these words.”
Reckoning – R.E.M. -- This was the second R.E.M. album I ever owned. I bought it a few weeks after Life’s Rich Pageant because of how much I liked that one. “I should keep myself in between the pages.”

Rounding out the Top 25 (again ... not in any order)

Hail to the Thief – Radiohead -- I think this album more often “finds a groove” than any other Radiohead album. “She’ll be a walking disaster.”
Pretzel Logic – Steely Dan -- My sister played this album all the time in the 70’s. I didn’t quite get it then. “Where did you get those shoes?”
Ghost in the Machine – The Police -- The best sounding Police album, with so many songs that remind me of great days in high school. “I resolve to call her up a thousand times a day.”
Armed Forces -- Elvis Costello – Declan at his best. “We only hit and run.”
I'm the Man -- Joe Jackson – I kinda really got into Joe and Elvis at the same time, which is to say about 7 years too late. “I can’t seem to say or do the right thing.”
Merriweather Post Pavilion – Animal Collective -- One of the few albums of the last 20 years that has felt like a true collective wonderful work. “You’ve got a real good shot.”
Crazy Rythyms – The Feelies -- Got turned onto this album when I read that Peter Buck played this album until the grooves were worn out. “Break the scream with a silent void.”
Natural Ingredients -- Luscious Jackson – I just really, really like every track. So does my wife. “It takes a strong man to stand by a strong women.”
Play -- Moby – Saw Moby at the Rolling Rock Town Fair and not long after this album came out. He climbed all over the stage and scaffolding. It was pretty weird ... and cool. “Soul got happy and stayed all day.”
Green -- R.E.M. – Green came out right about the same time when I starting dating the women who would become my wife. The memories of that time alone put this one on the list. “It’s a beautiful life … your life”
Ill Communication -- The Beastie Boys – I know that Paul’s Boutique is tremendously more important, but this album got me to love the Beasties. “Yeah, how you wanna kick it?”
Oh. Inverted World – The Shins – I don’t know how many people know the Shins, but Zach Braff is right. They’ll change your life. “Lucked out, found my favorite records.”
Exile in Guyville -- Liz Phair – Just emotionally devastating from beginning to end. “And almost immediately I felt sorry.”
Points on the Curve – Wang Chung – We are all entitled to our guilty pleasures, and while this one isn’t a bad album by any means, it’s certainly not on the list of 1001 album you need to hear before you die. But it was the first album … well, cassette … that I bought when I decided to start my own collection and my girlfriend at the time and I played it nonstop. “Entranced, my traveled the two of us.”
Drumming on the Walls – The Affordable Floors – In a parallel universe, the Floors break out of Pittsburgh to great success. “Never want to swear I’m breathing air.”

Others receiving votes: 1999 – Prince, The Joshua Tree -- U2, Led Zeppelin II, New Adventures in Hi-Fi - R.E.M, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, Doolittle -- Pixies, Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit – Courtney Barnett, The Trick of the Tail -- Genesis, Everything is Wrong – Moby, Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We -- The Cranberries, A New World Record, E.L.O, Let it Be – The Replacements, Fun and Games – The Connells, The Doors, Rubber Soul -- The Beatles, Countdown to Ecstasy -- Steely Dan, Whatever and Ever Amen - Ben Folds Five, The Queen Is Dead -- The Smiths, Warehouse: Songs and Stories - Husker Du, Spooky - Lush

In the Court of the Crimson King
The Dark Side of the Moon
The Yes Album
Days of Future Passed
Selling England By the Pound
Fragile
The Wall
Led Zeppelin IV
Murmur
Close to the Edge
The Wild The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Exile on Main Street
Who’s Next
Willy and the Poor Boys
Aqualung
Red
The Allman Brothers at Fillmore East
Born to Run
Let It Bleed
Remain in Light
Document
Cosmos Factory
The Doors
Can’t Buy a Thrill

As we've come to expect, DT_Pitt, you've listed some great ones.

Billy Joel, The Stranger, to me is an album filled with A side singles.

Dire Straights, Making Movies.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Damn the Torpedoes.

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble, The Sky is Crying.

Norah Jones, Come Away with Me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cavalier Panther
Top 3:

The Clash - The Clash
Guns & Roses - Appetite For Destruction
Tom Petty - Hard Promises

As we've come to expect, DT_Pitt, you've listed some great ones.

Billy Joel, The Stranger, to me is an album filled with A side singles.

Dire Straights, Making Movies.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Damn the Torpedoes.

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble, The Sky is Crying.

Norah Jones, Come Away with Me.

I've been waiting for someone to bring up SVR. For me, he's an example of someone who is a tremendous, completely classic, Hall of Fame artist whose music I just don't like at all. The quality and depth of his music are totally obvious. It's just that I don't really like his style of dirty, electric blues.

In the Court of the Crimson King
The Dark Side of the Moon
The Yes Album
Days of Future Passed
Selling England By the Pound
Fragile
The Wall
Led Zeppelin IV
Murmur
Close to the Edge
The Wild The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Exile on Main Street
Who’s Next
Willy and the Poor Boys
Aqualung
Red
The Allman Brothers at Fillmore East
Born to Run
Let It Bleed
Remain in Light
Document
Cosmos Factory
The Doors
Can’t Buy a Thrill

Of all the Prog Rock artists, I still struggle a bit with King Crimson. I understand the grandiosity of their work (especially Court), and like just about every individual whose been with them and what they turned into. I can't understand why I just don't like them all that much.

The Cars
Candy-O (the Cars)
The Stranger (Billy Joel)
The River (Bruce)
The Nightfly (Donald Fagen)
Into The Great Wide Open (Tom Petty)
Wildflowers (Tom Petty)
The Dirty Boogie (Brian Setzer Orchestra)
A Charlie Brown Christmas (Vince Guaraldi)... yeah really, every track, thre seminal Christmas album)

Probably others I'll remember later

Edit... other albums i remembered:

Zenyatta Mondatta (The Police)
New Traditionalists (Devo)
Built For Speed (Stray Cats)
Stop Making Sense (Talking Heads... maybe this one is cheating)
Guitars, Cadillacs, Etc (Dwight Yoakum... recent discovery)
Dwight Sings Buck (ditto)
Rubber Soul (Beatles)
Abbey Road (Beatles)
... and risking mockery I know but I wore my copy out:
King Cool (Donnie Iris)

Last edited:
I've been waiting for someone to bring up SVR. For me, he's an example of someone who is a tremendous, completely classic, Hall of Fame artist whose music I just don't like at all. The quality and depth of his music are totally obvious. It's just that I don't really like his style of dirty, electric blues.
I could have wrote this. I recognize his talent, his impact, but I just never liked his music.

It would have been interesting to see how his music developed if he had not been killed so early.

And, if he could have gotten off of the booze and drugs.

Following DT's style, the Top 10 mostly in order (although if you asked again in the future the order would surely change):

1. Pyromania - Def Leppard
2. Master of Puppets - Metallica
3. Van Halen - Van Halen
4. Paranoid - Black Sabbath
5. Who's Next - The Who
6. Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
7. IV - Led Zeppelin
8. Screaming for Vengeance - Judas Priest
9. Countdown to Extinction - Megadeth
10. Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden

Rest of the top 25, alphabetically
Heaven and Hell - Black Sabbath
Hysteria - Def Leppard
Holy Diver - Dio
American Capitalist - Five Finger Death Punch
Appetite for Destruction - Guns n' Roses
The Strange Case of... - Halestorm
Blood - In This Moment
II - Led Zeppelin
Nevermind - Nirvana
Smash - The Offspring
The Wall - Pink Floyd
Metal Health - Quiet Riot
Moving Pictures - Rush
Love at First Sting - Scorpions
Don't Say No - Billy Squier

Others Receiving Votes: Subject - Aldo Nova; The Game - Queen; Eliminator - ZZ Top; Empire - Queensryche; Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd; Ten - Pearl Jam; Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies - Volbeat

And, if he could have gotten off of the booze and drugs.

He did finally get clean before he recorded his last album. He was actually worried at the time that he wouldn't be able to play as well without the drugs and booze, because he had never really played without them his whole life.

Jeez. I dunno. I am trying to think of the albums I probably played the most. I know a few U2, Boy, Under a Blood Red Sky and Achtung Baby would definitely be on it. Nirvana's Nevermind for sure. Pearl Jam's Ten. I like the Cars the Cars, what I think is one of the best debut albums by a group. Afghan Whigs Gentleman for sure. Pavement's Wowee Zowee. REM's Green and Lives Rich Pageant. Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream. Police Outlandos D'Amour.

I have to think about it.

Reactions: #99HUGHgreen
My 10 Desert Island Discs
Love Tractor & 'Til the Cows Come Home - Love Tractor. The best (and least known) band to come out of the Athens,GA music explosion of the 1980s.
The Replacements - Tim. Perfect mix of Paul Westerberg & co.'s punk heritage and more accessible/melodic side before Paul let the pendulum swing too far to the pop side.
Everything Must Go - Manic Street Preachers. These Welshmen are still going strong but will never equal their 1996 classic.
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Wilco. Well-documented saga of major record label incompetence passing on this one.
Murmur - REM. The debut full length from Athens, GA's second best (and most well known) band.
Keep It Together - Guster. Discovered these guys late in the game. This is their fourth album released in 2003. After the growing pains of their first two albums, they have delivered a consistent stream of pop-rock greatness that's still going strong.
Goodbye Jumbo - World Party. Karl Wallinger wears his Beatles/Stones/Sly & The Family Stone influences all over his sleeves on this one.
One Simple Word - The Connells. DT, I'm glad I'm not the only one to include one from this band on my list. Their four album string of Boylan Heights - Fun & Games - One Simple Word - Ring was an amazing run.
Shootenanny! - Eels. A bit of an acquired taste but Mark Everett is rarely boring. Here he is simply brilliant.
Nonsuch - XTC. Shame that Andy Partridge doesn't get along with others so well or this band might have been more prolific. Will take this quality over quantity any day though.

This really needs to have a limit at 10 best albums. Once you go past that you are not being selective enough

Disintegration- the cure
Pretty Hate Machine- nine inch nails
Against the Grain- Bad Religion
Siamese Dream - smashing pumpkins
Opiate - Tool
Under the Table and Dreaming- Dave Matthews band
In Rainbows- Radiohead
Whatever and ever amen- Ben folds five
Thing fall apart- the roots

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
My 10 Desert Island Discs
Love Tractor & 'Til the Cows Come Home - Love Tractor. The best (and least known) band to come out of the Athens,GA music explosion of the 1980s.
The Replacements - Tim. Perfect mix of Paul Westerberg & co.'s punk heritage and more accessible/melodic side before Paul let the pendulum swing too far to the pop side.
Everything Must Go - Manic Street Preachers. These Welshmen are still going strong but will never equal their 1996 classic.
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Wilco. Well-documented saga of major record label incompetence passing on this one.
Murmur - REM. The debut full length from Athens, GA's second best (and most well known) band.
Keep It Together - Guster. Discovered these guys late in the game. This is their fourth album released in 2003. After the growing pains of their first two albums, they have delivered a consistent stream of pop-rock greatness that's still going strong.
Goodbye Jumbo - World Party. Karl Wallinger wears his Beatles/Stones/Sly & The Family Stone influences all over his sleeves on this one.
One Simple Word - The Connells. DT, I'm glad I'm not the only one to include one from this band on my list. Their four album string of Boylan Heights - Fun & Games - One Simple Word - Ring was an amazing run.
Shootenanny! - Eels. A bit of an acquired taste but Mark Everett is rarely boring. Here he is simply brilliant.
Nonsuch - XTC. Shame that Andy Partridge doesn't get along with others so well or this band might have been more prolific. Will take this quality over quantity any day though.
Forgot to put Skylarking on my others receiving notes list!

Also, Bill Berry was the unofficial drummer for Love Tractor a short time right as R.E.M. was getting started.

Disintegration- the cure
Pretty Hate Machine- nine inch nails
Against the Grain- Bad Religion
Siamese Dream - smashing pumpkins
Opiate - Tool
Under the Table and Dreaming- Dave Matthews band
In Rainbows- Radiohead
Whatever and ever amen- Ben folds five
Thing fall apart- the roots
I could put Whatever and Ever on my others receiving votes list.

As for Pretty Hate Machine, I never liked it at all. I recognise it’s historical importance in the evolution of the genre. Yet I always thought Trent was full of nothing but surburban, MacIntosh-inspired, contrived rage.

Forgot to put Skylarking on my others receiving notes list!

Also, Bill Berry was the unofficial drummer for Love Tractor a short time right as R.E.M. was getting started.
DT - Do yourself a favor if you haven’t already done so and check out the XTC documentary titled This Is Pop; a cut above the usual rockumentary fare.

And yes, Bill Berry made one of the shrewder career moves in music history.

DT - Do yourself a favor if you haven’t already done so and check out the XTC documentary titled This Is Pop; a cut above the usual rockumentary fare.

And yes, Bill Berry made one of the shrewder career moves in music history.

Bill wasn't sure if R.E.M. was really going anywhere.

I have seen This Is Pop - but thanks. I think I may like Oranges and Lemons about as much than Skylarking, or perhaps think there are 1 or 2 more quality songs. But as a double album, there's a fair amount of filler too that drags it down a touch.

As a freshman at Pitt, I used to frequently call WPTS and request "All You Pretty Girls" and "Wake Up."

Stevie Nicks Wild Heart

ZZ Top Fandango

Leslie West Mountain

George Thorogood I'm Wanted & Bad To The Bone

Beach Boys Shutdown & Best of the Beachboys

Buffett Songs You Know By Heart & Beach House on the Moon

Reactions: Farnox
Stevie Nicks Wild Heart

ZZ Top Fandango

Leslie West Mountain

George Thorogood I'm Wanted & Bad To The Bone

Beach Boys Shutdown & Best of the Beachboys

Buffett Songs You Know By Heart & Beach House on the Moon

I thought you were one who would follow rules! ;)

Live At Leeds -The Who
Todd- Todd Rungren
Todd Rundgren's Utopia- Todd Rundgren's Utopia
Close To The Edge- Yes
Red- King Crimson
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band- The Beatles
Siren- Roxy Music
Aja- Steely Dan
Wish You Were Hear- Pink Floyd
Joe's Garage- Frank Zappa

As for Pretty Hate Machine, I never liked it at all. I recognise it’s historical importance in the evolution of the genre. Yet I always thought Trent was full of nothing but surburban, MacIntosh-inspired, contrived rage.

Blasphemy

Abbey Road
Rubber Soul
Old Friends - Simon/Garfunkel
Rumours
Tapestry
Chances Are - Johnny Mathis
Hotel California
Help
Revolver
Thriller

Go Pitt.

Following DT's style, the Top 10 mostly in order (although if you asked again in the future the order would surely change):

1. Pyromania - Def Leppard
2. Master of Puppets - Metallica
3. Van Halen - Van Halen
4. Paranoid - Black Sabbath
5. Who's Next - The Who
6. Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
7. IV - Led Zeppelin
8. Screaming for Vengeance - Judas Priest
9. Countdown to Extinction - Megadeth
10. Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden

Rest of the top 25, alphabetically
Heaven and Hell - Black Sabbath
Hysteria - Def Leppard
Holy Diver - Dio
American Capitalist - Five Finger Death Punch
Appetite for Destruction - Guns n' Roses
The Strange Case of... - Halestorm
Blood - In This Moment
II - Led Zeppelin
Nevermind - Nirvana
Smash - The Offspring
The Wall - Pink Floyd
Metal Health - Quiet Riot
Moving Pictures - Rush
Love at First Sting - Scorpions
Don't Say No - Billy Squier

Others Receiving Votes: Subject - Aldo Nova; The Game - Queen; Eliminator - ZZ Top; Empire - Queensryche; Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd; Ten - Pearl Jam; Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies - Volbeat

So I take it you are a pretty big R&B fan, eh?

Live At Leeds -The Who
Todd- Todd Rungren
Todd Rundgren's Utopia- Todd Rundgren's Utopia
Close To The Edge- Yes
Red- King Crimson
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band- The Beatles
Siren- Roxy Music
Aja- Steely Dan
Wish You Were Hear- Pink Floyd
Joe's Garage- Frank Zappa
Omg. After seeing this I have to add Aja by Steely Dan and Who's Next by The Who to my list. Which might be 100 rather than 10 before it's done

1. Smashing pumpkins---Mellon collie and the infinite sadness.
2. Smashing pumpkins---siamese dream
3. Nine inch nails---the downward spiral
4. Nine inch nails---the fragile
5. Rage against the machine---rage against the machine
6. Foo fighters---the colour and the shape
7. Metallica---black album
8. Queens of the stone age---songs for the dead
9. Tool---lateralus
10. Red hot chili peppers---blood sugar sex magic
11. Audioslave---aduioslave

Honorable mention---green day American idiot, system of a down toxicity , a perfect circle 13 steps

Reactions: #99HUGHgreen
So I take it you are a pretty big R&B fan, eh?

I can listen to just about anything if I'm in the mood. But R&B is not high on the list, no.

But having said that, as has been mentioned elsewhere I have no problem with what other people like to listen to. I don't get it when people have to put down some type of music that they happen to not like. If you don't like it and someone else does, good for them. If someone else doesn't like what I listen to it doesn't bother me at all. Listen to something else.

There's a certain person that I used to know who bitched all the time about country music. I hate country music, country music sucks, that kind of thing. Sometimes I would say, but why does it bother you? Just listen to something else. And the funny thing was this person was a big Jimmy Buffett fan. So one day when they were on their rant I said you hate country music and yet you love Buffett, and lots of what he does is basically country influenced pop music. How do you explain that? And of course there was no real answer to that.

The funny thing was a couple weeks later that song that he did with Alan Jackson came out. I can't be sure, but I think that person's head may have exploded.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead

Taste vary

I can listen to pretty hate machine right now from start a I finish and still think it holds up-

So it’s a less candidate - along with disintegration because the cure

I can listen to just about anything if I'm in the mood. But R&B is not high on the list, no.

But having said that, as has been mentioned elsewhere I have no problem with what other people like to listen to. I don't get it when people have to put down some type of music that they happen to not like. If you don't like it and someone else does, good for them. If someone else doesn't like what I listen to it doesn't bother me at all. Listen to something else.

There's a certain person that I used to know who bitched all the time about country music. I hate country music, country music sucks, that kind of thing. Sometimes I would say, but why does it bother you? Just listen to something else. And the funny thing was this person was a big Jimmy Buffett fan. So one day when they were on their rant I said you hate country music and yet you love Buffett, and lots of what he does is basically country influenced pop music. How do you explain that? And of course there was no real answer to that.

The funny thing was a couple weeks later that song that he did with Alan Jackson came out. I can't be sure, but I think that person's head may have exploded.

Actually ... far too much of a reply. I was just havin' a little fun with your solidly heavy metal list!

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
1. Smashing pumpkins---Mellon collie and the infinite sadness.
2. Smashing pumpkins---siamese dream
3. Nine inch nails---the downward spiral
4. Nine inch nails---the fragile
5. Rage against the machine---rage against the machine
6. Foo fighters---the colour and the shape
7. Metallica---black album
8. Queens of the stone age---songs for the dead
9. Tool---lateralus
10. Red hot chili peppers---blood sugar sex magic
11. Audioslave---aduioslave

Honorable mention---green day American idiot, system of a down toxicity , a perfect circle 13 steps

RATM ... now that's NOT contrived rage!

Reactions: Ski11585
1. Sign O The Times -Prince
2. Appetite For Destruction- G N R
3. Licensed To ill- Beastie Boys
4. Abbey Road - Beatles
5. Rumors - Fleetwood Mac

It’s not for everyone, but the guitar work is transcendent. Google up SRV Voodoo Child, Live at Austin City Limits, it may change your mind about him. Watching him play that guitar is a much different experience than just listening to his music. He and Jimi are on a completely different level than any other guitarist.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT