ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Your List of Favorite Albums ever ...

Exceptions need to be made for some of the albums already listed. At Fillmore East, Live at Leeds and perhaps Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out should qualify

Naa ... no exceptions!! I'd have to make live album a whole separate category.

While some live album do have a sense of their own work like At Folsom Prison, Nirvana's MTV Unplugged, and Live at Leeds, they are still playing compilations from other albums!!

It’s not for everyone, but the guitar work is transcendent. Google up SRV Voodoo Child, Live at Austin City Limits, it may change your mind about him. Watching him play that guitar is a much different experience than just listening to his music. He and Jimi are on a completely different level than any other guitarist.

I agree that it's transcendent for sure. Just don't like the sound of it -- have listened many times.

Lots of good stuff here- but I’m surprised nobody included Urban Hymns by the Verve. Especially some of you Pavement guys. Every song is outstanding. The big hit song on it, Bittersweet Symphony, is probably one of my 2 least favorite songs from the album-and its a great f’in song.

I’m gonna throw in a few more that are worthy of consideration, in no particular order:

Wilco-Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Summerteeth
Pixies: Surfer Rosa
Stoke Roses: The Stone Roses
Oasis: What’s the Story Morning Glory
Nick Drake: Pink Moon
Billy Bragg & Wilco: Mermaid Avenue
Modern Lovers: The Modern Lovers
Neil Young: Harvest Moon
Radiohead-Pablo Honey, Kid A,
Ryan Adams & the Cardinals: Cold Roses
Whiskeytown: Strangers Almanac
Jayhawks: Hollywood Town Hall

Carole King - "Tapestry"

The Beatles - The album known as "The White Album"

Traffic - "John Barleycorn Must Die"

Earth, Wind, and Fire - "That's the Way of the World"

Billy Stewart - "Greatest Hits"

Iron Butterfly - "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" (not just that song - the entire album)

Michael Jackson - "Off the Wall"

The Boat Drunks - "This Ain't Duval Street"

C,S,N, & Y - "Deja Vu"

Lots of good stuff here- but I’m surprised nobody included Urban Hymns by the Verve. Especially some of you Pavement guys. Every song is outstanding. The big hit song on it, Bittersweet Symphony, is probably one of my 2 least favorite songs from the album-and its a great f’in song.

I’m gonna throw in a few more that are worthy of consideration, in no particular order:

Wilco-Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Summerteeth
Pixies: Surfer Rosa
Stoke Roses: The Stone Roses
Oasis: What’s the Story Morning Glory
Nick Drake: Pink Moon
Billy Bragg & Wilco: Mermaid Avenue
Modern Lovers: The Modern Lovers
Neil Young: Harvest Moon
Radiohead-Pablo Honey, Kid A,
Ryan Adams & the Cardinals: Cold Roses
Whiskeytown: Strangers Almanac
Jayhawks: Hollywood Town Hall

TOTALLY forgot Nick Drake -- Bryter Layter is certainly on my top 25 without a doubt. Not sure what I can take off my original list though! "I would be, I should be through and through"

TOTALLY forgot Nick Drake -- Bryter Layter is certainly on my top 25 without a doubt. Not sure what I can take off my original list though! "I would be, I should be through and through"
The nice thing about this kind of list is there are no wrong answers.

Reactions: Ray-Ray
In the Court of the Crimson King
The Dark Side of the Moon
The Yes Album
Days of Future Passed
Selling England By the Pound
Fragile
The Wall
Led Zeppelin IV
Murmur
Close to the Edge
The Wild The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Exile on Main Street
Who’s Next
Willy and the Poor Boys
Aqualung
Red
The Allman Brothers at Fillmore East
Born to Run
Let It Bleed
Remain in Light
Document
Cosmos Factory
The Doors
Can’t Buy a Thrill
You hit two of my favorites right off the bat.

Dark Side of the Moon

Days of Future Passed

In the Court of the Crimson King
The Dark Side of the Moon
The Yes Album
Days of Future Passed
Selling England By the Pound
Fragile
The Wall
Led Zeppelin IV
Murmur
Close to the Edge
The Wild The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Exile on Main Street
Who’s Next
Willy and the Poor Boys
Aqualung
Red
The Allman Brothers at Fillmore East
Born to Run
Let It Bleed
Remain in Light
Document
Cosmos Factory
The Doors
Can’t Buy a Thrill
Kudos for listing Red

Okay, I reread DT's rules. Not sure where Under a Blood Red Sky fits, but I will leave it out.

I can't rank them but I can list 12, 15, hell 25, 50 albums, but I will try and pare it down to 12-15.

U2 Boy. One of the truly great debut albums by any band in rock history.

U2 Achtung Baby. Every one loves Joshua Tree, their most successful album, but I think it was so one side heavy. I thought Achtung Baby which not only consisted of a dramatic shift in sound for U2, but it was a much deeper album from start to finish. I wanted to add "Under a Blood Red Sky" but I won't based on "compilation", but let's face it U2 is definitely a much better live band than studio where otherwise ordinary tracks like Bad, End of the World, Love is Blindness, even Sunday Bloody Sunday are "okay" on the albums, but just absolutely pop live.

Afghan Whigs Gentlemen. Cincy band, Greg Dulli has the ultimate bourbon and cigarette vocals down pat.

Pavement Woowee Zoweee. Torn between Wowee and Slanted and Enchanted, just brings me back to a great time of my life. Steve Malkmus is one of those guys you either get or you don't, evidently I get him.

REM Document. Man, I have to include at least one REM album. Torn between Green, Out of Time and Life's Rich Pageant. But while One I Love is the big hit, Finest Worksong, Oddfellows, Exhuming McCarthy are all great. In fact, in saying this, I just wavered like 8 times between REM albums. One thing, and it is one thing I am proud of, my favorite REM song is "Country Feedback" from Out of Time, which is also Michael Stipe's favorite REM song. So......I got that going for me. I got taste.

Tool Lateralus. Man, this group is so talented and I think this is by far their best overall work.

Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream. Just an awesome collection of work. Disarm. Rocket. Today. Mayonaise. Starts with Cherub Rock....I mean this is just a desert island album if there ever was one.

RHCP Blood, Sugar, Sex Magik Always have liked the Peppers, but I am a huge John Frusciente fan, and anything he played with them, I loved. This was the best work.

The Who Who's Next. Starts with Baba O'Reilly, ends with Don't Fooled Again....top that. I mean really, top that.

Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon. Sure, it is cliche. But it is cliche for a reason. Even though my favorite song is Comfortably Numb, this album just from start to finish makes it legendary for a reason.

Guns and Roses Use Your Illusion. Just powerful stuff. Maybe influenced by love interest at the time, but still great memories.

At the Drive In. Relationship of Command. Just great punk rock in the late 90's.

Husker Du. Zen Arcade. Of course.

Journey Escape. Again, anyone my age.,....I mean this was one of the albums where we discovered things like girls, beer, fun.

Cure Disintegration. Just to piss off Souf. LoL. No, love alot of the instrumental songs here.....

Janes Addiction. Nothing Shocking.

Nirvana Nevermind.

Pearl Jam Ten.

Police Outlandos D'Amour

The Velvet Underground and Nico

Radiohead OK Computer

Stones, Exhile on Main Street

The Doors, The Doors,

The National Trouble Will Find Me.

I’m old, so forgive me:

Sergeant Pepper: This album forever changed the way albums are made. Some of the songs were recorded with 64 tracks at a time when 4 tracks was considered the limit. It used instruments never before used on a rock album. The first two songs The Beatles recorded for this album were “Strawberry Fields” and “Penny Lane.” Neither made the final cut. There is a reason Rolling Stone named it as the greatest album of all time. It is.

Born To Run: Springsteen’s best, and that is saying a lot. I love The River and Darkness At The Edge of Town, but this is his masterpiece.

Rumours: One of those albums that doesn’t have a missed beat on it. Most of Fleetwood Mac’s best work in one album.

Pet Sounds: The masterpiece that demonstrated that The Beach Boys weren’t just a surfing band and Brian Wilson was a genius.

Hotel California: A masterpiece from The Eagles.

Tommy: The Who at their most creative.

Tapestry: Carole King’s best. Enough said.

The Nylon Curtain: For me, “Goodnight, Saigon and Allentown make this an all-time great.

City Lights: Gerry Rafferty’s masterpiece. Baker Street is not the only great song on this album.

Buffalo Springfield Again: Nothing but great songs from what in my mind was the seminal American 70s rock band.

#1 By Far(Played this for 2 years straight since buying it in a Best Buy in Mission Viejo on July 1, 1997, as always went with me in my car, and never got sick of hearing it with Favorite Songs constantly changing over those 2 years and cannot say that for any Album before or since(and 1997 might be my All Time Favorite Year for New Albums). Saw Radiohead in Concert last year and glad they played 5 Songs from 'OKC' and several Songs from 'In Rainbows' and 'A Moon Shaped Pool').
220px-Radiohead.okcomputer.albumart.jpg

Then the rest of 13 in No Particular Order:
Crap, I left off Hand Cannot Erase'-Steven Wilson, 'Signify'-Porcupine Tree(SW's Original Band), 'Hounds of Love'-Kate Bush, 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik-RHCP, 'The Downward Spiral'-NIN, 'Gentlemen'-Afghan Whigs, 'A Different Class'-PULP, 'Halcyon Digest'-Deerhunter, 'Lonerism'-Tame Impala, 'To Pimp a Butterfly'-Kendrick Lamar, 'Igor'-Tyler the Creator, 'Attack of the Grey Lantern'-Mansun, 'Urban Hymns'-The Verve, 'The Queen is Dead'-The Smiths,' 'For Your Pleasure'-Roxy Music, 'War'-U2, 'Blaze of Glory'-Joe Jackson, 'ST' or 'Candy-O'-The Cars, but figured 13 being Dan Marino was the Perfect Number to use for my Total Best Selections and kept it to 1 Selection per Music Artist, even though most of them have 2-3 more Albums that could be my Favorite on any given day.

I did not include Live Albums, but 'The Name of This Band is Talking Heads' would have made my list if including Live Albums along with the 4 Live Songs on 'UmmaGumma'-Pink Floyd from their Psychedelic-Rock & Space-Rock Early Days.

220px-Dog_man_star.jpg

220px-CureDisintegration.jpg

220px-TheDoorsTheDoorsalbumcover.jpg

220px-Peter_Gabriel_%28self-titled_album%2C_1980_-_cover_art%29.jpg

220px-Museoriginofsymemtryalbumcover.jpg

220px-Station_to_Station_cover.jpg

220px-Quadrophenia_%28album%29.jpg

220px-Manic_Street_Preachers-The_Holy_Bible_album_cover.jpg

220px-Songs_in_the_key_of_life.jpg

220px-Doves_Last_Broadcast.jpg

220px-Oceanrain.jpg

220px-Spiritualized_-_Ladies_and_Gentlemen_We_Are_Floating_in_Space.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Large Panther
Rumours: One of those albums that doesn’t have a missed beat on it. Most of Fleetwood Mac’s best work in one album.
Hey Mike(I will need to PM you as think we met one year in SoCal when I lived in Playa del Rey), if you own a TT, you need to get the Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray Analog(AAA) Remaster Vinyl for 'Rumours'(45rpm is the best option although only a few Songs per Side so a Double Record Set, but there is a 33rpm option and both were Pressed by Pallas-The Best Pressing Plant overall along with RI from the Netherlands, since Optimal is now inconsistent-although The Police Box Set from last November is Good Pressing by Optimal and apparently the Kate Bush Remasters also done by Optimal last December were good, although have read a few complaints).

Actually, Steve Hoffman also Remastered 'Pet Sounds' in Mono that was the way it was meant to be heard(like Sgt. Peppers) and 'Hotel California'(Not an Eagles Fan myself as too much Country Rock type music for my taste, but do love the Title Track and got a great deal on the SH Remastered DCC CD for Hotel California since the Inner Hub had a crack, but the CD plays fine).

I am a Massive Doors Fan and own the 4 Doors Albums-Self Titled, Strange Days, Waiting for the Sun and L.A. Woman(CD & Vinyl) that Steve Hoffman Remastered by getting the Original Tapes and it is like Jim Morrison is right there singing to me. SH also remastered the other 2 Doors Albums(Soft Parade & Morrison Hotel), but only on CD for Audio Fidelity, as DCC went OOB before he could do all the Doors Albums for them. Audio Fidelity then went OOB last year, although they screwed up his Mastering for 'Soft Parade', so the AP Hybrid SACD is probably the best version. I also think the West Germany Target CD is the better option for 'Morrison Hotel', but I still also plays the SH Mastered version he did for Audio Fidelity.

Last edited:
This is a fun game. I’ll try.

Led Zeppelin - Physicals Graffiti
Tool - Lateralus
Phish - Billy Breathes
Chick Corea Elektric Band - To the Stars
Kanye West - College Dropout
OutKast - ATLiens
Ben Folds Five - The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner
DMB - Remember Two Things
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks

Boxer - the National's best album. "Fake Empire" is an extremely strong start but the album really finds its soul in the middle. "Slow Show" -> "Apartment Story" -> "Start A War" is a trio for every manic, doomed relationship. Matt Berninger's voice is amazing.
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - experimental Americana rock perfection. Recorded just prior to September 11th, it has allusions to that tragedy which are weird and haunting. This is what can happen when you put a few geniuses together and let them hash things out.
Who's Next - Powerful, spiritual...even funny ("My Wife"). This HAS to be on every classic rock Mount Rushmore. If it's not in your top 4 albums, you're kidding yourself.
IV - see "Who's Next." My favorite song might be "When the Levee Breaks." I don't think I could ever comprehend losing everything in a natural disaster but the song is as raw and powerful as the Mississippi. Perfection.
Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix - 37 minutes of bangers. People will remember the first two tracks but "Love like a Sunset" and "Rome" and "Countdown" are the best songs here.
Breakfast in America - does not drone on at 47 minutes. Several classic songs. "Just Another Nervous Wreck" is an anthem for all of us that have had our moments where we just needed to hold on.
Illmatic - perfect flow. Best rap album of all time, hands down. "I drink Moet with Medusa, give her shotguns in Hell" is Shakespeare-level lyrics.
Turn on the Bright Lights - Joy Division for the 2000s
Ready to Die - Pac became a famous rapper because he could, Biggie because he had to. The fat guy was amazing.
Discovery - I really don't think Daft Punk gets enough credit. Drags a bit at the end but everyone has heard a song sampled from or inspired directly by this alubm.
Exclusive Mix - Avicii's best work, and the best EDM not made by Daft Punk.
Is this It? - the Strokes' best work stacks up with everybody's.
Harvest - several smash hits. "Alabama" doesn't get enough credit.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Many of my favorites were already mentioned, including Astral Weeks and the fantastic Mermaid Avenue. I'd also add:

Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots -Flaming Lips
Running on Empty - Jackson Browne
Too Far to Care - Old 97s
This Perfect World - Freedy Johnston
Break It Yourself - Andrew Bird
XO - Elliott Smith
Gold - Ryan Adams

Last edited:
Appetite For Destruction- G N R
Licensed To Ill- Beastie Boys
The Who - Who's Next
Billy Joel - The Stranger
AC/DC - Back in Black
Metallica - Kill em All
The Replacements - Let it Be or Tim
The Pixies - Surfer Rosa
Bob Seger - Beautiful Loser
The White Stripes - The White Stripes

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
I forgot about one: the '59 Sound by Gaslight Anthem.

It's an homage to classic Springsteen. Awesome punk for every young person.

It seems like we had some good fun with the “Your List of Favorite Music Artists ever” thread. So I thought we’d give it another go this week.

This week’s challenge is a little bit more difficult ... offer “Your List of Favorite Album’s ever!”

Once again, this is YOUR list of YOUR favorites, using whatever criteria you want.

Sure, albums such as Revolver, Exile on Main Street, My Dark Twisted Fantasy, Pet Sounds, Are You Experienced?, OK Computer, Blonde on Blonde or What’s Going On? are unquestionably the greatest and most important ever. But are they really YOUR favorites?

The only rule I’ll put in place is that you can’t name any greatest hits, singles compilations, or soundtrack albums, unless the soundtrack was almost completely composed for the movie. In other words, The Big Chill and Guardians of the Galaxy … no; Saturday Night Fever, … yes.

I’m going to go for a Top 25, but if that’s too many for you, go with a Top 20, or Top 10 or … whatever.

Here goes …

#1 -- Who’s Next? -- The Who – I got turned onto the album around 1980, and still love each and every one of the nine songs on the album. “We’re all wasted!”

The Rest of the Top Ten … (not in any particular order)

The Cars – The Cars – The Cars could never again come close to this masterpiece, but to me, this work sounds as good today as it did 40 years ago. “Always it's some other guy!"
The Pretenders – The Pretenders – No comments here other than: “I shot my mouth off and you showed me what that hole was … for.”
Automatic for the People – R.E.M -- I could put several R.E.M. albums on my list. But this is their best, and every track is perfect. “All of this is coming your way.”
Rumors -- Fleetwood Mac – About five years ago, Paul Rudd and Vanessa Bayer starred in an SNL skit as a divorcing couple who join in their love of “I Don’t Want to Know.” I was amazed at how strong of a song this is while it’s really a secondary song on the album. “Damn the dark, Damn the light!”
Nevermind – Nirvana -- When I first heard “Smells Like Teen Spirit,” I was blown away. I bought Nevermind the next day, and it continued. “Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you”
Kid A -- Radiohead – Probably listened to this album about five times in a row right after I bought it. “This is really happening.”
Astral Weeks -- Van Morrison -- There’s really not a single on the album, but there may not have ever been a more beautiful album, beginning to end, in the history of rock and roll. “And I shall drive my chariot down your streets and cry.”
Wincing the Night Away – The Shins -- Stayed up many nights listening to this album – “I'm a victim to the impact of these words.”
Reckoning – R.E.M. -- This was the second R.E.M. album I ever owned. I bought it a few weeks after Life’s Rich Pageant because of how much I liked that one. “I should keep myself in between the pages.”

Rounding out the Top 25 (again ... not in any order)

Hail to the Thief – Radiohead -- I think this album more often “finds a groove” than any other Radiohead album. “She’ll be a walking disaster.”
Pretzel Logic – Steely Dan -- My sister played this album all the time in the 70’s. I didn’t quite get it then. “Where did you get those shoes?”
Ghost in the Machine – The Police -- The best sounding Police album, with so many songs that remind me of great days in high school. “I resolve to call her up a thousand times a day.”
Armed Forces -- Elvis Costello – Declan at his best. “We only hit and run.”
I'm the Man -- Joe Jackson – I kinda really got into Joe and Elvis at the same time, which is to say about 7 years too late. “I can’t seem to say or do the right thing.”
Merriweather Post Pavilion – Animal Collective -- One of the few albums of the last 20 years that has felt like a true collective wonderful work. “You’ve got a real good shot.”
Crazy Rythyms – The Feelies -- Got turned onto this album when I read that Peter Buck played this album until the grooves were worn out. “Break the scream with a silent void.”
Natural Ingredients -- Luscious Jackson – I just really, really like every track. So does my wife. “It takes a strong man to stand by a strong women.”
Play -- Moby – Saw Moby at the Rolling Rock Town Fair and not long after this album came out. He climbed all over the stage and scaffolding. It was pretty weird ... and cool. “Soul got happy and stayed all day.”
Green -- R.E.M. – Green came out right about the same time when I starting dating the women who would become my wife. The memories of that time alone put this one on the list. “It’s a beautiful life … your life”
Ill Communication -- The Beastie Boys – I know that Paul’s Boutique is tremendously more important, but this album got me to love the Beasties. “Yeah, how you wanna kick it?”
Oh. Inverted World – The Shins – I don’t know how many people know the Shins, but Zach Braff is right. They’ll change your life. “Lucked out, found my favorite records.”
Exile in Guyville -- Liz Phair – Just emotionally devastating from beginning to end. “And almost immediately I felt sorry.”
Points on the Curve – Wang Chung – We are all entitled to our guilty pleasures, and while this one isn’t a bad album by any means, it’s certainly not on the list of 1001 album you need to hear before you die. But it was the first album … well, cassette … that I bought when I decided to start my own collection and my girlfriend at the time and I played it nonstop. “Entranced, my traveled the two of us.”
Drumming on the Walls – The Affordable Floors – In a parallel universe, the Floors break out of Pittsburgh to great success. “Never want to swear I’m breathing air.”

Others receiving votes: 1999 – Prince, The Joshua Tree -- U2, Led Zeppelin II, New Adventures in Hi-Fi - R.E.M, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, Doolittle -- Pixies, Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit – Courtney Barnett, The Trick of the Tail -- Genesis, Everything is Wrong – Moby, Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We -- The Cranberries, A New World Record, E.L.O, Let it Be – The Replacements, Fun and Games – The Connells, The Doors, Rubber Soul -- The Beatles, Countdown to Ecstasy -- Steely Dan, Whatever and Ever Amen - Ben Folds Five, The Queen Is Dead -- The Smiths, Warehouse: Songs and Stories - Husker Du, Spooky - Lush

See, I know I'm in the minority here but Automatic is probably my least favorite REM pre-Up. Just a big wash of moodiness and no edge. Monster was great and New Adventures in High Fi was solid but they couldn't match their early energy. I think they peaked in the early to mid 80s before most people had ever heard of them. Reckoning is my favorite, Harborcoat and Pretty Persuasion are probably my favorite REM tracks along with Wolves, Lower and Gardening at Night.

My top ten albums would contain a bunch of REM (Murmur, Reckoning, Fables of the Reconstruction, Green), Echo and the Bunnymen's Ocean Rain, Technique by New Order. The rest of the list tends to change daily.

I don't listen to a bunch of newer music but my favourites of the last decade would have to start with Bloom from Beach House and Hurry Up We're Dreaming from M83. And anything from Tame Impala.

I don't listen to a bunch of newer music but my favourites of the last decade would have to start with Bloom from Beach House and Hurry Up We're Dreaming from M83. And anything from Tame Impala.
Murph I like your style. Give your new music proclivities, Try out a little War on Drugs. Start with Eyes to the Wind, Under the Pressure and Red Eyes. Thank me later.

I've been listening to all of the R.E.M. albums up through New Adventures in Hi Fi. Automatic For The People is a little better than I remember, New Adventures worse. But I'd forgotten how great Monster was front to back.

DT—good stuff to do till sports takes over (not counting Pirates as a “sport” this year...easy to avoid them out west in Portland)....Mike, I like your list

Here’s a few:

A Question of Balance—Moody Blues (might be my favorite LP of all time)

Nasty Little Thoughts—-Stroke 9

Go Slow Down—BoDeans

No Secrets—Carly Simon

Lovestrong—Christina Perri

American Sunshine—Colin Hay

Eleven eleven—Dave Alvin

Medicine—Drew Holcomb and the Neighbors

Desperado—Eagles

Laid—James (yes, DT, it’s an album name...tell your wife, please)

The Nashville Sound—Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit

The Company You Keep—John Gorka

Tribute—John Newman

All People—Michael Franti and Spearhead

Be Here Now—Oasis

Release—Pet Shop Boys

Play it Again Sham!—The Saw Doctor’s

Bookends—Simon & Garfunkel

Fallen Empires—Snow Patrol

Keep the Village Alive—Stereophonics

Everything You Want——Vertical Horizon

Late Night Grande Hotel—Nanci Griffith

It’s Time —Michael Buble

The Wild Feathers—The Wild Feathers

Save Me, San Francisco—Train

Absolutely—Sister Hazel

Looking East—Jackson Browne

Son of a Son of a Sailor—Jimmy Buffett

Rubber Soul—Beatles

Out of our Heads—The Rolling Stones

And I could go on and on and on....good stuff!

Hail to PITT!
-al-

Reactions: Panther Parrothead
I’m sure I’m forgetting a bunch of albums that also belong on this list. However, these ones immediately spring to mind. Again, this is just one man’s opinion, but I think all of these albums are stone cold masterpieces.

The Queen is Dead - The Smiths
The Smiths - The Smiths
Nothing’s Shocking – Jane’s Addiction
Ritual de lo Habitual - Jane’s Addiction
Nevermind - Nirvana
Ten - Pearl Jam
Violator - Depeche Mode
OK Computer - Radiohead
Kid A - Radiohead
Amnesiac - Radiohead
The Downward Spiral – Nine Inch Nails
Wish – The Cure
Disintegration - The Cure
Ill Communication - The Beastie Boys
Homogenic - Bjork
Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I Am Not - Arctic Monkeys
Murmur - REM
Automatic For the People - REM
Revolver - The Beatles
Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
Abbey Road - The Beatles
The Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
The Wall - Pink Floyd
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
London Calling - The Clash
It’s It - The Strokes
Whatever and Ever Amen - Ben Folds Five
Joshua Tree - U2
Countdown to Ecstasy - Steely Dan
Pretzel Logic - Steely Dan

I would happily give you a rationale for each of my selections but that would get ridiculously long — much longer than my typically ridiculously long posts.

Last edited:
What I have always found most interesting is that for many of these bands, once they release a masterpiece it’s like they have said everything they have to say and nothing else is even close to what they did on that album.

Nine Inch Nails is a really good example of that. I think The Downward Spiral is truly incredible. However, nearly everything they did after it was very pedestrian. The Cure is another great example of it. I think Wish and Disintegration are phenomenal works or art and I think everything that came after it was decidedly mediocre.

The Smiths and Jane’s Addiction are in a different category. They were each around for a very short period of time but what they produced in that short period of time was absolutely breathtaking.

I think I would put Ben Folds Five in that category as well. However, as a solo artist, Folds has been more prolific than Morrissey or Perry Farrell were as solo artists or artists in other projects.

All of those examples were very unique voices in their respective worlds and so, so far ahead of everyone else of their time. I have an immense respect for all of them as artists.

However, unfortunately, in all three cases internal strife brought them down and robbed the world of what surely would’ve been several more brilliant works.

That’s what makes bands like the Beatles and Radiohead so remarkable is that they could release multiple masterpieces that sound radically different from each other but are each equally brilliant. That’s just beyond rare and that’s why they were largely considered two of the greatest rock bands in the history of the genre. The fact that the Beatles did it and just an eight year span is positively mind-boggling and exactly why so many people rightly continue to warship at their altar.

That said, and this might be sacrilegious in the rock ‘n’ roll world, but I don’t really love any of their solo works or in other projects. I like John Lennon‘s solo stuff the best of the bunch (followed by Harrison), but I don’t even think his solo work is nearly as interesting as it was when he was a member of the Beatles.

Last edited:
Reactions: #99HUGHgreen
What I have always found most interesting is that for many of these bands, once they release a masterpiece it’s like they have said everything they have to say and nothing else is even close to what they did on that album.

Nine Inch Nails is a really good example of that. I think The Downward Spiral is truly incredible. However, nearly everything they did after it was very pedestrian. The Cure is another great example of it. I think Wish and Disintegration are phenomenal works or art and I think everything that came after it was decidedly mediocre.

The Smiths and Jane’s Addiction are in a different category. They were each around for a very short period of time but what they produced in that short period of time was absolutely breathtaking.

I think I would put Ben Folds Five in that category as well. However, as a solo artist, Folds has been more prolific than Morrissey or Perry Farrell were as solo artists or artists in other projects.

All of those examples were very unique voices in their respective worlds and so, so far ahead of everyone else of their time. I have an immense respect for all of them as artists.

However, unfortunately, in all three cases internal strife brought them down and robbed the world of what surely would’ve been several more brilliant works.

That’s what makes bands like the Beatles and Radiohead so remarkable is that they could release multiple masterpieces that sound radically different from each other but are each equally brilliant. That’s just beyond rare and that’s why they were largely considered two of the greatest rock bands in the history of the genre. The fact that the Beatles did it and just an eight year span is positively mind-boggling and exactly why so many people rightly continue to warship at their altar.

That said, and this might be sacrilegious in the rock ‘n’ roll world, but I don’t really love any of their solo works or in other projects. I like John Lennon‘s solo stuff the best of the bunch (followed by Harrison), but I don’t even think his solo work is nearly as interesting as it was when he was a member of the Beatles.
I’ll quibble because the cure’s masterpieces started with Pornograpy. I think Wild mood swings is excellent .

I really like their last two albums - but agree wish and disintegration are best.
Cut, from the edge of the deep green sea, and letter to Elise are among my favorite songs ever..

Frankly- I think the past few Radiohead albums are snoozers- in rainbows excluded- which may be my favorite

I totally agree. I respect the bands that disband before they become pedestrian. The aforementioned Smiths and Jane's Addiction are too perfect examples. Sometimes it is due to things like...well death (Nirvana).

Shame is, my all time favorite group, has alot of my all time favorite songs, also has some of my most literally hated songs. U2. Loved them, their early stuff was unbelievable, their live peformances fantastic.

Alot of people say after Joshua Tree they sucked. I disagree. In fact I think Achtung Baby from start to finish was their best album. And it is one album that many of the songs just blow up live. They are great. But then....after that.......I don't know if people mature, they get caught up in other things...they seem to have become rather ordinary. Any of the newer Stones stuff over the last 25 years would qualify.

Which brings me to a topic I once broached before on these forums, and now since more are willing to discuss music (which i find so much more interesting than football, because of its subjectivity) is....what is better? A band in existence for 30 years, where the last 15 they essentially become a "cover band" of their hits that everyone wants to hear, or do they continue to put out new stuff that maybe is not that good nor well received.

Of course, as an artist, you are wired to create, to continue to produce new stuff. But music has a time/space dimension doesn't it? Alot of our most favorite songs, music, albums, occurred in an era of formative experiences, kids, high school, college, first serious romance, etc...and these were the songs that mark the experiences of our lives. So....these songs we connect to emotionally. The new stuff, we are now miserable older folks, with many responsibilities, life in many cases isn't as simple as fun.

So.....I am not sure if the songs and music are worse or "pedestrian" as we like to say, but we just don't connect to them as much. And "we" are the group or generation that connected originally to that band. So they start getting passed by. Secondly, the band themselves, younger, maybe less jaundiced, more open, maybe not quite as proficient in their instruments, it is these imperfections that made them interesting. When these bands sound so well polished and now over dubbed and produced, the music loses alot of its passion and emotion.

So back to U2. They have been around now, 40 years. I first heard them when I was like 14. So...from 14 to say 28.....they were a soundtrack to me. If they go on tour, I want to hear, these songs. Now some of their newer songs are okay, but they are not that band from the 80's or even early 90's. It is a rock and a hard place. They can't replicate that sound and music from when they were precocious 20 year olds vs jaded 50 year olds.

I just use them as an example. I really respect they stayed together, seem genuinely fond of each other. But now.......if I had my way, they would just stop making more music and just focus on their past hits. For them, that would be the death of them, who wants to do that?

Just I find it interesting conundrum for bands. Pearl Jam is likely facing this now. Many bands. Alot of bands quit, disband, go in other directions, then get back together. But let's face it, any band that has been around 25 years or longer, most of the fans want to hear the songs of their youth, their hits, their early stuff rather than some unfamiliar new songs.

In alot of these threads, New Order has gotten alot of play, but I was not sure. I liked them, but man, I am so much more a Joy Division fan. And the more i listen to Joy Division, my god, they were just awesome. Well in my binge watching of Stranger Things, I came across this song. For the longest time I thought it was the Cure. I first heard it in the move Pretty in Pink. Stranger Things brought it back. It was not the Cure. It was New Order.

Just fantastic song....and Shell Shocked and others....but this is a great song and opened me up to the connection between Joy Division and New Order.

In alot of these threads, New Order has gotten alot of play, but I was not sure. I liked them, but man, I am so much more a Joy Division fan. And the more i listen to Joy Division, my god, they were just awesome. Well in my binge watching of Stranger Things, I came across this song. For the longest time I thought it was the Cure. I first heard it in the move Pretty in Pink. Stranger Things brought it back. It was not the Cure. It was New Order.

Just fantastic song....and Shell Shocked and others....but this is a great song and opened me up to the connection between Joy Division and New Order.

Joy Division was amazing for sure. Hard to say what they would have been if Ian had lived. Maybe they would have been an even better version of New Order, maybe they would have settled into something resembling Echo and the Bunnymen. I doubt they could have been able to maintain that early, dark energy for too long.

New Order were always really good songwriters. Technically they weren't always perfect but they brought soul to electronic music. Shellshock is a good one. My favorite NO track is probably The Perfect Kiss. Their later dancier stuff on Technique is brilliant too.

I'll also say that Bernard Sumner is a criminally underrated guitarist.

Reactions: #99HUGHgreen
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT