ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers vs Ravens

11-5. Wild card. Book it.

I hope Rudolph is ok for his own good beyond being the Steelers QB. People get KOed all the time and are ok, but I agree with whoever mentioned the free fall and smacking the head a second time maybe being worse. I think the initial hit was like a flash knock you see in boxing when the jaw gets clipped and the person wasn't expecting it, you'll see them fall out cold before they hit the ground .

Reactions: HailToPitt725
You’re using anecdotal evidence in the heat of the moment. Baltimore had just as many penalties and the Steelers had the second fewest penalties committed in the league coming into today. Sounds like a smart team to me.

I don't assume the Ravens are a smart team. Not at all. If not for a good play by their db, the Raven's would have lost that game to a team on their 3rd string qb.

Tomlin's team have a history of being undisciplined. Not nearly as bad as Marvin Lewis but nothing close to being smart.

And it's not all penalties..I don't get upset of PI calls, holding calls..but pre-snap penalties are a different story. Those are obvious lapses in mental discipline. Smart teams don't make those mistakes.

Team's reflect their coach and Tomlin is not a disciplined, smart coach. He is a player's coach and it shows.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
I think Devlin Hodges has a bright future in this league. Hopefully with us. He reminds me of a young Brett Favre, a gunslinger not afraid to throw the ball downfield. He looked more confident in the pocket imo than Rudolph has in 3 games. He wasn't afraid to throw the ball and most of his passes were right on target. I hope Mason is okay but I am excited to see Hodges behind center for the forseeable future.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
I don't assume the Ravens are a smart team. Not at all. If not for a good play by their db, the Raven's would have lost that game to a team on their 3rd string qb.

Tomlin's team have a history of being undisciplined. Not nearly as bad as Marvin Lewis but nothing close to being smart.

And it's not all penalties..I don't get upset of PI calls, holding calls..but pre-snap penalties are a different story. Those are obvious lapses in mental discipline. Smart teams don't make those mistakes.

Team's reflect their coach and Tomlin is not a disciplined, smart coach. He is a player's coach and it shows.
Tomlin’s teams have finished in the top half of the league for fewest penalties committed 9 out of his 13 seasons (including this year), and six of those seasons had the Steelers inside the top ten for fewest penalties committed. By all accounts, Tomlin’s teams are nowhere near undisciplined.

Do you have evidence to back up this assertion, or are you saying Tomlin’s the problem because you don’t like him?

Reactions: boseman7
Tomlin’s teams have finished in the top half of the league for fewest penalties committed 9 out of his 13 seasons (including this year), and six of those seasons had the Steelers inside the top ten for fewest penalties committed. By all accounts, Tomlin’s teams are nowhere near undisciplined.

Do you have evidence to back up this assertion, or are you saying Tomlin’s the problem because you don’t like him?

I am going by anecdotal from today's game. I assert the Steeler's are not a disciplined, smart team under Tomlin.

Smart teams don't jump offsides on a 4th and 6 when the other team is simply trying to draw them off.
Smart teams don't take the ball two yards deep in the endzone on a kickoff early in the game.
Smart teams don't hit a commit roughing the passer (twice, once in the 1st quarter and once in the 4th) both of them helping to prolong scoring drives.

Those are not aggressive mistakes but unforced mental lapses. That happens to often with Tomlin.
Victory usually goes to the team who makes the fewest mistakes and that is not the Steelers under Tomlin the past two years.

I am going by anecdotal from today's game. I assert the Steeler's are not a disciplined, smart team under Tomlin.

Smart teams don't jump offsides on a 4th and 6 when the other team is simply trying to draw them off.
Smart teams don't take the ball two yards deep in the endzone on a kickoff early in the game.
Smart teams don't hit a commit roughing the passer (twice, once in the 1st quarter and once in the 4th) both of them helping to prolong scoring drives.

Those are not aggressive mistakes but unforced mental lapses. That happens to often with Tomlin.
Victory usually goes to the team who makes the fewest mistakes and that is not the Steelers under Tomlin the past two years.
The 4th quarter roughing had nothing to do with discipline .
It was a text book tackle

So you’re acknowledging your argument is flawed by taking a one-game sample and applying it to an entire body of work? Ok.

I have issues with Tomlin but blaming that 4th qtr roughing the passer on him is absurd.

So you’re acknowledging your argument is flawed by taking a one-game sample and applying it to an entire body of work? Ok.

No..If you wish we could discuss the Steelers team of last year as well. That team had 7 probowlers (6 if you account for a substitution) and missed the playoffs.
I would call underachieving indicative of a team that makes unforced mistakes?

No..If you wish we could discuss the Steelers team of last year as well. That team had 7 probowlers (6 if you account for a substitution) and missed the playoffs.
I would call underachieving indicative of a team that makes unforced mistakes?
Look man, I wasn’t meaning to start some long argument because I try not to do that on here. I have issues with Tomlin, and they underachieved last year for sure, but my original point was that they are historically pretty good at not committing penalties under Tomlin and, at least from that standpoint, are not undisciplined.

I think Devlin Hodges has a bright future in this league. Hopefully with us. He reminds me of a young Brett Favre, a gunslinger not afraid to throw the ball downfield. He looked more confident in the pocket imo than Rudolph has in 3 games. He wasn't afraid to throw the ball and most of his passes were right on target. I hope Mason is okay but I am excited to see Hodges behind center for the forseeable future.

oh please.

Man.... Put down the crack pipe...Hodges played well for his first appearance, but he doesn’t have the arm strength to be a starter in the league. When teams watch film and prepare, it will bare this out.

He is serviceable, but nothing special.

Man.... Put down the crack pipe...Hodges played well for his first appearance, but he doesn’t have the arm strength to be a starter in the league. When teams watch film and prepare, it will bare this out.

He is serviceable, but nothing special.
Season is over as far as the playoffs are concerned and would be no matter what qb is playing the question now is how bad its going to be. The negative is they gave up a bunch of picks already with the trades. I think fitz is a pretty good player but if it ends up being a top 5 pick its gojng to be a bad trade.

they will be very lucky to go 8-8.

giving away that pick is a disaster at this point.
I still think its likely that the pick ends up in the 7 to 10 range. If thats the case its not a disaster unless Fitzpatrick sucks. He is looks better than either davis or Edmund's so i dont think disaster is a appropriate description

Season is over as far as the playoffs are concerned and would be no matter what qb is playing the question now is how bad its going to be. The negative is they gave up a bunch of picks already with the trades. I think fitz is a pretty good player but if it ends up being a top 5 pick its gojng to be a bad trade.

I hear ya...But you know, there is no guarantee that the person draft in the top 5 will pan out either, especially at QB.

I hear ya...But you know, there is no guarantee that the person draft in the top 5 will pan out either, especially at QB.
You know, there is a wider pool to pick from at 5 then just one person as well.... They get any player after 4, so they lost the option of any choice at all. DUMB TRADE

You know, there is a wider pool to pick from at 5 then just one person as well.... They get any player after 4, so they lost the option of any choice at all. DUMB TRADE
I think it was smart from the sense that it’s someone the Steelers would’ve drafted next year anyways if they had the chance, the only difference being you get one less year of team control. However, there’s also less risk to it since he’s a known commodity.

Regardless, I don’t think we’ll be able to give to a true grade for another year or two.

Reactions: pittmeister
The "what if" culture is a nasty bunch and have only grown louder in recent years. The Steelers saw an opportunity to shore up a needed position and ponied up. Good trade IMO. Now they need to hit the waiver wire for a QB.

The "what if" culture is a nasty bunch and have only grown louder in recent years. The Steelers saw an opportunity to shore up a needed position and ponied up. Good trade IMO. Now they need to hit the waiver wire for a QB.
Who do you think they sign? I remember they were interested in Brock Osweiler before.

I guess they might activate Paxton Lynch, too.

Kaps is out there and keeping in shape... lol, imagine the media storm and then the outrage when he pulls the same stunt.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they signed him. People forget he sucks though. He had a great year in SF then steadily declined. Baggage doesn’t matter and if he was good he’d be playing.

Sunseri did the same thing when he was a COLLEGE QUARTERBACK right here in Pittsburgh. It is called protecting yourself to avoid hits like this one. Has nothing to do with how many Super Bowls you have won

Right because this is apples to apples, right? So you are saying since Sunseri turtled in front of pressure from Uconn friggin D-linemen....that MR should have the wits about him to avoid hits and see the game slowly enough in his 3rd career start against Brandon Carr and Earl Thomas.... you really are a twit if you dont understand that games begin to slow down based on experience. Lolol. Please continue to self loathe that you never played for your junior high and was in the D&D club instead.

Reactions: pittmeister
Why are people so obsessed with a draft pick of some unknown ?
We have a real and talented young safety who frankly has transformed the defense .

nothing is fixed with the Steelers in one pick.
But that actual player - is having an impact

It still bothers me a little paying that high a price for a safety, but Fitzpatrick is certainly a good one.

If he’s not the best player on that defense now he probably will be by next season.

Right because this is apples to apples, right? So you are saying since Sunseri turtled in front of pressure from Uconn friggin D-linemen....that MR should have the wits about him to avoid hits and see the game slowly enough in his 3rd career start against Brandon Carr and Earl Thomas.... you really are a twit if you dont understand that games begin to slow down based on experience. Lolol. Please continue to self loathe that you never played for your junior high and was in the D&D club instead.

Are you suggesting that Mason doesn’t have sufficient experience playing quarterback? Reading defenses and getting used to the speed at the NFL level requires experience, knowing how to protect yourself should have been instilled in you far earlier.

if you see a safety charging at you full speed you adjust your body to prepare for the impact. Rudolph jumped in the air and passed the ball and didn’t even concern himself with Thomas. Gutsy? yes. Selfless? yes. Intelligent? no.

I just hope he is ok and if he plays again this season someone on the staff tells him to place self preservation higher on his bucket list

I think it might be time for “ Tomlin - Unleash Hell in December II”.....
The Tomlin Unleash Hell Plan is in the works.
Has been for 3 years or so.
He's stuck on some wording and deciding on which
clichés to use.

I agree. But I will say it looked like on several of the offsides calls the Steeler defenders never even crossed the LOS. Of course once the O-lineman jumps up and down pointing the ref is forced to call something. I don’t like it though, if you don’t cross the line it shouldn’t be offsides.

Idk, maybe with replay it would’ve shown in a different angle that they all were offsides. Just on the replays they showed on TV I didn’t think a couple were though, and the announcers even commented as such on at least 1 or 2 also.

What's with the anti D&D crap? Tim Duncan was an avid table top gamer and happened to be an elite basketball player (and swimmer!) too. Be a renaissance man.

Fitzpatrick looks pretty good from what I've seen. Of course, none of us have the game film, so it's not like any of us can know for sure, without relying on the experts to some degree. I won't hate that trade no matter what. But if a consensus premier pass-rusher or shut-down corner is available with our pick, I'll be a little disappointed. I just feel like those positions are more important, in addition to the fact that you would have him for effectively two more years (really just one, but this was a lost season the second Ben went down).

From the standpoint of my own entertainment, it also sucks a bit, because having a high draft pick is an exciting consolation for a bad year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT