ADVERTISEMENT

That last Stillers offensive possession….

28th total defense
24th rush defense
27th pass defense
Like I said
Teryl Austin stinks too

Yes, Austin stinks. Anyone with half a brain would have watched the Sun Bowl tape and seen that if you blitz DTR he makes really stupid decisions.

- They consistently run into 8 and 9 men fronts. Follow Allen Robinson and you'll find where the run is going.

- They ran that horrendous screen pass a half dozen times. It worked once.

- 90% of passes are to the boundary.

- They threw one ball downfield, and it was on the last drive.

You aren't going to beat NFL teams with an offense like this, and certainly not a good one like Cleveland.

KP looks disgusted and dejected sitting on the sidelines. Most of the shots were of him alone. You'd think Canada or his QB coach would be there in every shot.

The QB coach who was a defensive player? Lol

- They consistently run into 8 and 9 men fronts. Follow Allen Robinson and you'll find where the run is going.

You aren't going to beat NFL teams with an offense like this, and certainly not a good one like Cleveland.

KP looks disgusted and dejected sitting on the sidelines. Most of the shots were of him alone. You'd think Canada or his QB coach would be there in every shot.
Good post. I’ll just add that you forgot the long pass he threw to DJ off his back foot across the field to the sideline, only for DJ to catch the back 1/4 of the ball and making it easy for the defender to jar it loose and incomplete.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
The QB coach who was a defensive player? Lol
Is that true? That’s another thing…this has to be the worst staff in football. It’s likely the smallest too. Where are the resources Mr Rooney? You’re undoing what your father built!!

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Good post. I’ll just add that you forgot the long pass he threw to DJ off his back foot across the field to the sideline, only for DJ to catch the back 1/4 of the ball and making it easy for the defender to jar it loose and incomplete.

Yeah, my bad. Here's his throws.

Clock management is a large part of the head coaches job. The last possession was a fireable offense, 14 seconds are u serious. Don’t forget a timeout on the games second play, that doesn’t happen in the nfl ever. Then soft defense at the end against a qb that is going to be replaced by Flacco, yes coaching matters

I noticed him on the sidelines as well. His facial expressions one time when Canada was talking to him indicated he was not happy. There’s no denying KP is not playing well but how much of that is on him verus the offense limiting him is the question. I’m also not sure if he’s still physically ok too. He takes a beating

You mean the one that was about 4 feet too high that DJ had to high jump with full extension to even touch? Are you suggesting that was an adequate throw that should have been caught? Because if we're talking about the same play, it sure wasn't.

I don't think Pickett is a lost cause, I think he was not ready to start in the NFL when he was drafted and he got pressed into duty too early in a substandard offense with substandard coaching and personnel. He needed time and a better team to have a chance at success, he's not so talented that he could come into the NFL and put a team on his back.

But to act like he's playing well and it's everyone and everything else's fault is absurd. He has not played well. That is a fact. Not to absolve Canada of his own role in this lousy product, but have any of you considered the possibility that Canada is calling the offense the way he does because he doesn't/can't trust Pickett to throw the ball down the middle of the field? Because that's what some objective national media types seem to believe.

I mean, even when he has time, Pickett isn't making many good short and intermediate throws to open guys.

You mean the one that was about 4 feet too high that DJ had to high jump with full extension to even touch? Are you suggesting that was an adequate throw that should have been caught? Because if we're talking about the same play, it sure wasn't.

I don't think Pickett is a lost cause, I think he was not ready to start in the NFL when he was drafted and he got pressed into duty too early in a substandard offense with substandard coaching and personnel. He needed time and a better team to have a chance at success, he's not so talented that he could come into the NFL and put a team on his back.

But to act like he's playing well and it's everyone and everything else's fault is absurd. He has not played well. That is a fact. Not to absolve Canada of his own role in this lousy product, but have any of you considered the possibility that Canada is calling the offense the way he does because he doesn't/can't trust Pickett to throw the ball down the middle of the field? Because that's what some objective national media types seem to believe.

I mean, even when he has time, Pickett isn't making many good short and intermediate throws to open guys.
You have to be confusing that one with another. You couldn’t ask for a better throw. He was 4 inches off the ground and arms weren’t even fully extended. He simply missed it as though he needs contact lens.

You have to be confusing that one with another. You couldn’t ask for a better throw. He was 4 inches off the ground and arms weren’t even fully extended. He simply missed it as though he needs contact lens.
Def not the same one I'm thinking of then.

This is a pretty fair assessment

I’d only add that how much of KPs play is on him vs how much is because the offense is so limited is the question. Also when you face a jailbreak just about every play you’re less likely to be calm in the pocket and go through your progressions even on those rare occasions when they get time Getting the snot kicked out of you has that affect

Clearly while I agree KP isn’t playing well I think most of the issues lie elsewhere. Hell cleavland had Robinson throwing 43 times and throwing over the middle….to a tight end !!

As an aside watched a bunch of the games yesterday. Qbs miss throws a lot. And they make some really bad ones. Aside from the top 5 qbs Qb play isn’t that stellar. Stafford made a bunch of bad throws and missed a sure TD on a wheel route. Point being I think KP is a capable qb who they can win with. But he’s not going to carry the team on his back. Need more talent around him and a legit OC. There are not many Qbs in the league not named Mahomes who could thrive in this offense

Yup. He was referring to the last out pattern. I believe the one you’re referring to was the prior series

Johnson is a terrible receiver, drops one in every game. No throws to Friermuth, Warren has only 9 RB touches and none on the final drive, Najee has too many touches, Kenny looking like Zach Wilson and that's bad. Good field position on last drive and you only use 14 seconds and don't gain a single yard. Sums it up.

Yup. He was referring to the last out pattern. I believe the one you’re referring to was the prior series
Mine was earlier in the game. Can’t remember when. It was a big time throw, one that people question if he can make. And you know what? Maybe he can’t consistently enough. But we don’t know because of the restrictions put in on the offense.

Reactions: pittdan77
Mine was earlier in the game. Can’t remember when. It was a big time throw, one that people question if he can make. And you know what? Maybe he can’t consistently enough. But we don’t know because of the restrictions put in on the offense.
Yeah pretty sure I know which pass you’re talking about.

Johnson is a terrible receiver, drops one in every game. No throws to Friermuth, Warren has only 9 RB touches and none on the final drive, Najee has too many touches, Kenny looking like Zach Wilson and that's bad. Good field position on last drive and you only use 14 seconds and don't gain a single yard. Sums it up.
Hard for Warren to get any touches on that last drive when he wasn’t on the field for any of those 3 quick incompletions

Reactions: pbrad
They lost to a third string QB yesterday. Why would you wait until the end of the season to get rid of Canada?
The only way Canada gets fired mid-season is if there’s no shows in the stands the next few games and season tickets aren’t renewed.

The only way Canada gets fired mid-season is if there’s no shows in the stands the next few games and season tickets aren’t renewed.
There were tons of no-shows the last couple of years and it didn't matter. I mean, the seats are paid for. And people don't get rid of their season tickets. The seats in front of my buddy have been sold to opposing fans every home game.

It's not even a Rooney call. Tomlin has to admit he was wrong to make a move and that's the problem.

He’s a patsy it’s not really his defense. Although, Tomlin always was thought to be the de facto DC but this year he says that Austin is making the calls. So who knows.
Amazing how this seems to work

I mean - without Minkah our defense is substantially worse , he covers up a lot of issues .

Much like Pitt-
The HC is ultimately in charge of everything .
Despite the claims of a certain poster that coordinators run the show on game days .

Yeah - just 11th there thanks to turnovers created , no doubt .
Hard to rely on that to win every game .

9th.

19.5 points allowed per game, despite the offense's propensity for the patented 3 and out and putting them right back on the field. I don't think they're a dominant bunch, but they're doing a damn good job of finding ways to make it work and either winning games outright or giving the offense a chance to do so at the end. The defense is not the problem.

Reactions: Franb
I’m with Madden, it’ll never happen but they should go back and give ole Mason another try.

We all know Matt Canada and this offensive scheme is terrible and we all can’t wait til he’s gone. We can only hope that will be the case after this season is over but you never know with Tomlin. It didn’t happen after last season when it should have.

At any rate, we’ll never answer the debate about how much blame to put on KP until if and when Canada is gone. But until then, I think KP has had more than ample opportunity to show he can produce something with no results. He’s now played most if not all of 22 games and thrown 670-some passes with passing production in half of those games being in the 100’s.

Very very good chance Trubisky and Rudolph aren’t any better but we are now at the point where their sample sizes in a Steeler uniform are well less than KPs. I think Trubisky’s appeared in only 9 games and thrown just over 200 passes. Rudolph has appeared in 17 games and thrown around 370 passes. Production of all 3 in a Steelers uniform about the same. Given the sample sizes, time to give one of them more opportunity to confirm it’s all 100% on Canada.

Only reason to keep trotting out KP is to determine how bad you need to seriously look at a QB in the draft again.

9th.

19.5 points allowed per game, despite the offense's propensity for the patented 3 and out and putting them right back on the field. I don't think they're a dominant bunch, but they're doing a damn good job of finding ways to make it work and either winning games outright or giving the offense a chance to do so at the end. The defense is not the problem.
Unless field possession matters
Like yesterday

9th.

Hey there’s some good news, our scoring defense must have improved from 11th to 9th yesterday after only giving up 13 pts.

When you have the job security Tomlin has, there is no pressure to make changes, especially right away... Only the HC's that feel the heat make changes during the season...
Really Tomlin needs to be fired! Yes, he's the master of 9-8, but there is not much good about this football team, his entire philosophy is obsolete garbage, offensive playbook is like something from at best the 90s, if not the 70s.

Interesting that I just saw an article posted that Pickett said during interview after the game that the game plan basically was wrong as they practiced all week preparing for man coverage and then Cleveland played a lot of zone and they didn't adjust. Not trying to absolve KP but that sounds pretty bad for Canada.

Except for, you know.... the one that matters the most.

NFL Defense Points Allowed
Stupid Yinzers have been brainwashed into believing that nothing matters but defense and only running the ball matters and passing stats don't matter at all, if you throw for 126 yards and squeeze out a 20-17 win, they will tell you is equal to Mahomes throwing for 450 yards and 4 TDs and winning 42-38, in fact even better, because defense matters more, offense is just the caddy for the D, main purpose is to run the clock so the D can rest, gaining yards and scoring points is secondary.

All orher issues are irrelevant until Canada is removed. No available QB option will solve the Canada problem. The D is the least of the Steeler concerns (looking at you Harvin III). Canada has no clue how to scheme an offense, create mismatches with personnel, etc. He runs basic plays and hopes they work.

Amazing how this seems to work

I mean - without Minkah our defense is substantially worse , he covers up a lot of issues .

Much like Pitt-
The HC is ultimately in charge of everything .
Despite the claims of a certain poster that coordinators run the show on game days .
Yeah I don’t know the breakdown. We saw what TJ meant to them last year. When you pay a guy that kind on money and it’s dead money while he sits injured, then how good can they be?. But they got destroyed with Minkah in the lineup this year so I’m not sure what he means to this defense. And they seem to get destroyed when they do face a talented offensive team I.e San Fran, and their last 4 playoff games.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Yeah I don’t know the breakdown. We saw what TJ meant to them last year. When you pay a guy that kind on money and it’s dead money while he sits injured, then how good can they be?. But they got destroyed with Minkah in the lineup this year so I’m not sure what he means to this defense. And they seem to get destroyed when they do face a talented offensive team I.e San Fran, and their last 4 playoff games.
You sure don’t want your defense to give up 30 pts like they did against the niners but they are one of the better offenses in the league. Same with the Texans and their rookie QB where we also gave up 30. There really aren’t many defenses in the NFL that can effectively shutdown the good offenses.

As Pitt79 says all the time, you have to be able to outscore the other team sometimes in today’s NFL. We scored 7 and 6 pts in those 2 games where we gave up 30.

As Pitt79 says all the time, you have to be able to outscore the other team sometimes in today’s NFL. We scored 7 and 6 pts in those 2 games where we gave up 30.
I almost feel like the Steelers just write those games off, 90% of their effort goes towards defense and "keeping it close" it seems like they don't even consider trying to build an offense that can hang in a high scoring game. When they had Ben in his prime it was different, but that was mainly Ben's individual talent more than them scheming to score.

Yep. Which is why it’s 75% on Mike T. And before any Tomlin apologists come at me for stating it…it’s ok to put blame on the guy. He’s not perfect. Hiring Canada was strike 1. Retaining him was strike 2. And now telling his elementary offense to be even more elementary the last 3 weeks is strike 3.

Fix the problem!!

Tomlin isn't held accountable. That's the problem. Yinzers have a waiting list for season tickets and seat licenses so there's no threat of ppl not getting the wallet out.

Nothing will change over there as long as this Rooney is in charge. He's happy with this and the $$$$$ keeps rolling in.

Tomlin isn't no where NEAR as smart as ppl think he is. Every WR he drafts turns to a primadona and training camp was a total shit show when AB was there running things.

Do you think Noll or Cowher would have left a WR let his personal assistant take video before and after practice during a facebook live?

There's a reason why Hines Ward isn't around any more. I saw him at camp Tomlin and he looked completely disgusted with the side show.

Canada won here because of a loaded senior team and mismatches. He found out the hard way everyone runs in the SEC and in the NFL.

East and West offense will get you fired all day everyday, unless you work for Mike Tomlin where .500 is the new Super Bowl.

is as bad as it gets at any level of football.

The offense is just terrible in every way. Steelers had virtually zero passing offense in that game. Canada needs to go the minute the season ends.
The real problem was the next to last possession. Under 5 minutes. Ball on the Browns 40 yard line. Already on the edge of Boswell's range. The last thing you want is to lose yardage, right? Calls a screen that had no chance. Then a 6 yard deep handoff to Najee that lost 5 and took us out of a potential game winning field goal range. Then a swing pass well behind the LOS. PUNT. This series of play calling was horrible but typical of Canada. That guy should have already been fired today, which would still be 2 years late. Kenny hasn't played well but he has been hamstrung by this boob of an OC. I know there is an outcry to bench him but does anybody think Trubisky or Rudolph could prosper under this guy.

And while I am venting, how could you not have Warren on the field on that last 17 second failure of a drive?

Reactions: pittbb80
What's up with the slow developing very deep handoffs, the QB holding his arm straight out 6 yards behind the line and the astronauts in the space station can see it from orbit, why do they think that's a good design?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT