ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe Kenny is not the answer

He certainly doesn’t look good, but I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he looks like with a real offensive coordinator. The problem is that we’re going to end up wasting another year of Watt’s prime to figure it out. I blame that on Tomlin and Rooney because we all recognized Canada had to go last year.

Kenny needs to buy #65 something expensive to win him over because it is obvious that #65 does not like Kenny!

Reactions: 303vND
He certainly doesn’t look good, but I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he looks like with a real offensive coordinator. The problem is that we’re going to end up wasting another year of Watt’s prime to figure it out. I blame that on Tomlin and Rooney because we all recognized Canada had to go last year.

They need a lot of upgrades.

It is sad that the offense has become what it is today. Yes, Kenny has not progressed, but the system they run is pure garbage. The rest of the NFL schemes to get their receivers open, this trash can OC designs passes to the sidelines and swing passes to the running backs. Even a dummy like me, who never played in the NFL, realizes it takes a stronger arm qb to consistently make sideline throws.

First play of the game at their own 9, they are in the shotgun. Why? If you want to try and catch them off guard line up under center and run a play action. Nope, I am pretty sure the turnstile at LT got beat and it should have resulted in a safety. We know it's not the "Steeler way" to make changes mid-season, but seriously, making the playoffs would only be a band aid for this team.

What is coach catch phrase going to say this Tuesday to defend his hand picked OC? There was no way they should have lost the game today, nor should they lose next week, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

They pretty much need an upgrade. I can’t think of a single untouchable player on offense. Maybe Warren since he’s a cheap UDFA.
Unless he’s a head case I wouldn’t be looking to get rid of Pickens. And I assume you mean skill players but I’d still add Jones. It appears he’s a good one and could still end up at LT.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Unless he’s a head case I wouldn’t be looking to get rid of Pickens. And I assume you mean skill players but I’d still add Jones. It appears he’s a good one and could still end up at LT.
True, forgot about Jones. I really like Pickens but maybe I’m a little gun shy after our history of receivers…

CBS shared this stat today...

315 QBs have 500 pass attempts since the merger. Only one has thrown a touchdown on fewer than 2% of his attempts: Kenny Pickett (1.9%)

Yeah, but let's blame Canada for all of this. Kenny is not the answer.
He is not looking like the answer right now but I wouldn’t give up after less than 2 seasons worth of starts. I would bench him for a few games. Reset him and see if he improves the last 1/3 of the year. If he hasn’t improved than you think about a replacement and him playing poorly will get the Steelers a higher draft pick to select a better contender QB.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Seriously, how would you know with that trash offense?
The offense sucks, the O line is sketchy, but it isn’t that or the poor playbook/play calling that’s causing KP’s accuracy problems like throwing behind guys, over their heads etc. as we saw numerous times today when he did have time to throw the ball. He has not looked good regardless of the offense’s many flaws, that is undeniable.

The offense sucks, the O line is sketchy, but it isn’t that or the poor playbook/play calling that’s causing KP’s accuracy problems like throwing behind guys, over their heads etc. as we saw numerous times today when he did have time to throw the ball. He has not looked good regardless of the offense’s many flaws, that is undeniable.
Why do you think that is happening? His last year at Pitt he completed every pass imaginable for about 65-68%. Is it simply the differences in defenses he faces in the NFL vs College? Does he need time to adjust? Or has Canada ruined his development by making him too scared to look to 2nd/3rd options or throw the ball further than 8 yds downfield? At this point in his career, he needs to be completing 60% of his passes for about 190 yds and 2 TDs a game.

CBS shared this stat today...

315 QBs have 500 pass attempts since the merger. Only one has thrown a touchdown on fewer than 2% of his attempts: Kenny Pickett (1.9%)

Yeah, but let's blame Canada for all of this. Kenny is not the answer.
And no coordinator in history has gone 55 games without a 400 yard offense game. It’s not on this QB, dude.

What happened to Kenny’s college career when Canada left?

Pickett has been a historically unproductive QB. He has a bottom five all time TD% for a QB with as many snaps as he has. If there was anything there, he'd show more than he has despite the bad circumstances. It's over. There's nothing to salvage here. There is no o line upgrade or OC change that is going to squeeze blood out of a rock. The Steelers offense has many problems. None are bigger than #8.

And no coordinator in history has gone 55 games without a 400 yard offense game. It’s not on this QB, dude.
It's not an either or. It's both.
I agree on Canada. I wanted him let go during the bye. However, Kenny is just as culpable for the lack of production.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Pickett has been a historically unproductive QB. He has a bottom five all time TD% for a QB with as many snaps as he has. If there was anything there, he'd show more than he has despite the bad circumstances. It's over. There's nothing to salvage here. There is no o line upgrade or OC change that is going to squeeze blood out of a rock. The Steelers offense has many problems. None are bigger than #8.

They have the worst WRs in the league and maybe the worst OL in the league. There are bigger problems.

Reactions: 303vND
What happened to Kenny’s college career when Canada left?
Kenny never played under Canada. He had Whipple for most of his career. And for most of Kenny's college career he was nothing special. He had a great senior year and that changed his draft status.

Reactions: Tucker99
They have the worst WRs in the league and maybe the worst OL in the league. There are bigger problems.
Steelers do not have the worst WRs in their own division. Ravens had that distinction.
Pickens and Johnson are a decent combo.

I do agree the Steelers have the worst OL, TE, rbs, and Qbs in the division though.

I agree with everything that has been said in this thread about Kenny, Canada, etc, and yet, the Steelers are still on track to make the playoffs. It ain’t all that bad.

Why do you think that is happening? His last year at Pitt he completed every pass imaginable for about 65-68%. Is it simply the differences in defenses he faces in the NFL vs College? Does he need time to adjust? Or has Canada ruined his development by making him too scared to look to 2nd/3rd options or throw the ball further than 8 yds downfield? At this point in his career, he needs to be completing 60% of his passes for about 190 yds and 2 TDs a game.
It's a totally different game than college. It's night & day difference in the speed of the game. Reads have to be made quicker, the ball has to come out quicker, and the windows are a lot tighter.

No disrespect to Kenny Pickett, but by NFL standards, he has a pea shooter for an arm. Nothing comes easy for him.

I agree with everything that has been said in this thread about Kenny, Canada, etc, and yet, the Steelers are still on track to make the playoffs. It ain’t all that bad.

the beauty of the NFL, very few teams are eliminated by Thanksgiving. Hope springs eternal.

Of course we have to sit through games like today, and many others across the league similar to this. Why are the games so bad in the NFL? Maybe the defense is just too good and athletic and the quarterbacks aren't able to keep pace with it.

Tomlin's stupid never had a losing season streak is the worst thing for this team. It's why they settle for 9-win seasons now. This team used to be about winning championships, now it's just about not finishing below .500.

If Kenny is an NFL failure we actually haven’t had an NFL quality QB at Pitt since 1983?
Well, we had Flacco.

Peterman has done reasonably well as an NFL journeyman but not starter material obviously. A few others that had their respective cups of tea in the League but nothing more. Savage, DiNucci, et al.

he looked bad
He seems like he's getting worse, his pass yardage and TDs are dropping to next to nothing, and it's not all Canada, he often refuses to cut it loose when there's a play there and he has time. Especially anywhere in the middle of the field.

The rest of the NFL schemes to get their receivers open, this trash can OC designs passes to the sidelines and swing passes to the running backs.
Dorin said the other day that is a dumb talking point. Every single OC schemes up ways to get their WR's open. That is such an oxymoron statement.

If Kenny is an NFL failure we actually haven’t had an NFL quality QB at Pitt since 1983?
NFL failure is a little harsh. Kenny is going to get better. There's a whole spectrum out there between career backup, journeyman, and franchise QB.

Just because he may not be a franchise guy, doesn't mean he's a failure. And nobody can definitively say he won't be that. But he has his obvious limitations that's going to be hard to overcome.

Steelers do not have the worst WRs in their own division. Ravens had that distinction.
Pickens and Johnson are a decent combo.

I do agree the Steelers have the worst OL, TE, rbs, and Qbs in the division though.
Have you seen Houston’s online ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT