ADVERTISEMENT

No 3 peat for Pens

No, I'm saying playing 40 minutes of basketball is the approximate equivalent of playing 20 minutes of hockey. I'm not suggesting hockey players should be playing more. I am merely rejecting the notion that the Penguins being tired is a valid excuse for bowing out in the second round after winning two championships. Also, the fact that the first round series is now a best of seven instead of a best of five is not a valid excuse either.

Nor is it anything to troll about. You hockey defenders are quite amusing. I'm not making a basketball vs hockey argument.
No one has won three in a row since they went best of 7 in the first round and all of the teams that repeated since then haven't made it past the second round the following season, the extra miles on the body are a huge factor in that. When Edmonton had Gretzky they couldn't win three in a row.

Last edited:
Not in this case, Holtby was clearly beat on that shot. Kuneckel has net to work with and just missed. Agree that hitting post is part of the game though. Just pointing it out to show they could have just as easily won that game.

But again, I disagree with your overall premise that they were done on Saturday night. They played a solid game and were an inch from going to a game 7. Being done would have been getting blown out and not making the game competitive. Certainly agree though that there was some fatigue in play but the Pens were ready to play. They got beat by a better team in that series.

They were competitive in game 6 because Murray stood on his head. The Pens did not hit double digit shots until the middle of the second period. They were done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT