ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Buccos

The whole "the Marlins won 2 WS, how bad can Jeffrey Loria be?" question just cleared up so much for me.

Owners are actually indistinguishable from the franchise. The Pirates were cheap for 20 years under a previous owner, ergo, still cheap now despite breaking spending records in the draft, investing a ton of money in the Dominican, keeping everybody they should regardless of price (seriously, 8 figures to a relief pitcher is unheard of for a cheap team), building a proprietary analytics database, and staffing what's regarded as one of the more aggressive analytics departments in MLB.
Analytics staff...lol. Spend
No, it wasn't. This is an area that the Bucs have done very well and different from most teams, and businesses for that matter. One of their analysts is a young ex. D3 wide receiver who travels with the team. For the Pirates, data analysis is not a one-way street, but more of a closed loop process. Questions that are asked and theories that are tested come from analysts, coaches and players. Reading 'Big Data Baseball' helped me a great deal at work. Just do not let the name fool you, the book is not a maths book, nor does baseball analysis involve much big data.
Smoke and mirrors. All those analytics and they end up with three bums in the starting rotation and no relievers. What did the analytics tell them? Told them to spend some money.

Reactions: paulbl99
Hey, Cole is pitching soon, doesn't have to face a teams number one, we might get a win this weekend.

Would you rather been the Marlins or Pirates since 79? I go with Marlins. Analytical stuff can go run off, works better for dungeon and dragon moves I'm sure.

Pirate broadcast team looking for moral victories. I remember when we Pitt fans did this , glad we are past that these days , sad state of existence

Oh, I'm in the burgh this weekend visiting family and was listening to the Cubs game today on the FAN - the great news for the Nutting fan club us that next Thursday is Cole bobblehead day... Yes sir, doesn't get any better than that. Will have a losing record after today. Nutsack! Beat em Bucs!

Oh, I'm in the burgh this weekend visiting family and was listening to the Cubs game today on the FAN - the great news for the Nutting fan club us that next Thursday is Cole bobblehead day... Yes sir, doesn't get any better than that. Will have a losing record after today. Nutsack! Beat em Bucs!

The real question, are we saving money ?

Analytics staff...lol. Spend

Smoke and mirrors. All those analytics and they end up with three bums in the starting rotation and no relievers. What did the analytics tell them? Told them to spend some money.
The only analytics being done are on the size of Nutsack's wallet. Right now the analytics say that he has plenty of excess cash to spend on upgrading the alpine slide and ski lifts at his own little resort Seven Springs. What a detestable owner, leaving all real Pirate fans hung out to dry! Analyze that!

The only analytics being done are on the size of Nutsack's wallet. Right now the analytics say that he has plenty of excess cash to spend on upgrading the alpine slide and ski lifts at his own little resort Seven Springs. What a detestable owner, leaving all real Pirate fans hung out to dry! Analyze that!

Well, I agree 100%, but as you see on this thread, a few Pirate fans, enjoy being used as useful idiots for a billionaire owner

I bet my buddy a case of beer that the Pirates will not go above .500 the rest of the year. What's everybody think here?

My reasoning is I expect them to lose at least 8 out of their next 10 against the cubs, giants and dodgers coming up. That would put them 7 under at the end of June. Who knows about Cole and a week after that, they'll start considering dumping players at the trade deadline.

I bet my buddy a case of beer that the Pirates will not go above .500 the rest of the year. What's everybody think here?

My reasoning is I expect them to lose at least 8 out of their next 10 against the cubs, giants and dodgers coming up. That would put them 7 under at the end of June. Who knows about Cole and a week after that, they'll start considering dumping players at the trade deadline.
Agree with you. Entire pitching staff is a mess. They can't beat the average to above average teams. They will beat the league have nots and there are plenty of those. By mid-July they will be done. This year's downturn is borne out of thenownershop's complacency. They made the playoffs for thee years, got the fans off their backs and we're than happy to tread water this year-very economical!

That's a good bet for the reason you stated. Once they are 7 or 8 under there will be no righting the ship! Only the young arms that they so want to protect can save them now and keep them respectable but chances of getting back above 500 are negligible.

What's funny, what is going on right now is being defended! We let HAPP go, I knew then that was inexcusable, needed another pitcher to go with him, a power hitter, and we would be in this. For about 20 million more , we would he a contender.

What's funny, what is going on right now is being defended! We let HAPP go, I knew then that was inexcusable, needed another pitcher to go with him, a power hitter, and we would be in this. For about 20 million more , we would he a contender.
1-7 against the Cubs and badly out scored. By the middle to the late part of next week this team could be buried. Nutting's pretty much stood pat in the offseason. He felt that with the team's making the playoffs the last 3 years that there was no pressure/urgency to address the team's obvious weaknesses.

Reactions: 88Pitt88
There is no defense to the trailer park king and his using of the city, team, fans. Sell the damn team to Cuban, or someone like that, win first!

Baseball is not a sport where owners go to make a profit yearly. They take loss, build the value and try to win, to be the biggest , baddest, kick asssss mofo, but we have a nerd that uses people. Has used WV now Pittsburgh. Please stop defending this POS

Bucs are in bad shape this year. As I've said way too many things have to go right for them to get back in it. Yeah they are only 3 or 4 games out of the wild card but I just don't see a solution for the pitching issues this year. Way too many things have to go right for them to get back on track (Franky has to figure out his location issues, Cole has to get healthy, Tallon has to be the real deal, Niese has to stop giving up long balls, and other than MM the bull pen needs to become more consistent. Cutch has to find his stroke as well. Still looks a bit lost at the plate.

Next year could be a good year but.............they will need Tallon and the other Kid to step up and also find a Fourth and fifth starter (Im assuming Fankie is done). Huntington has a lot of work to do in the offseason. They also will need to figure out what to do with MM and the bull pen in general. Contending next year is not a given without some rather significant off season acquisitions.

Don't know if they will stay below .500 all year but I just don't see them getting in the play offs for sure

Bucs are in bad shape this year. As I've said way too many things have to go right for them to get back in it. Yeah they are only 3 or 4 games out of the wild card but I just don't see a solution for the pitching issues this year. Way too many things have to go right for them to get back on track (Franky has to figure out his location issues, Cole has to get healthy, Tallon has to be the real deal, Niese has to stop giving up long balls, and other than MM the bull pen needs to become more consistent. Cutch has to find his stroke as well. Still looks a bit lost at the plate.

Next year could be a good year but.............they will need Tallon and the other Kid to step up and also find a Fourth and fifth starter (Im assuming Fankie is done). Huntington has a lot of work to do in the offseason. They also will need to figure out what to do with MM and the bull pen in general. Contending next year is not a given without some rather significant off season acquisitions.

Don't know if they will stay below .500 all year but I just don't see them getting in the play offs for sure

The Pirates will become sellers this year and we have a TON to sell that may have value. I think Freese, Jaso, Joyce, Rodriguez, Melancon, Watson, and Feliz all have some value and could bring back decent returns. Specifically, Melancon and Watson could get back something nice. I'd hope they would be looking to move Niese as well but aren't so sure of his value (I doubt they pick up his option at this point anyways). The real value would come from trading an effective and healthy Liriano and eventually Cutch.

Trading Cutch would be hugely unpopular to the masses but is going to happen eventually anyways. Might as well do it earlier when the return can be maximized. A trade involving Cutch is probably the only way we add another ace-level young pitcher to our staff in the short term, which we desperately need. A rotation built around Cole, Taillon, Glasnow and bolstered by another top arm and a reclamation project would have to be vastly better than the crap we are rolling out this year.

Pirates fans are going to start screaming as soon as they start selling major parts/fan favorites. The difference now is we will still have a strong nucleus on which to build upon as opposed to the AAAA crap that littered the roster in the early 00s.

There is no defense to the trailer park king and his using of the city, team, fans. Sell the damn team to Cuban, or someone like that, win first!

Baseball is not a sport where owners go to make a profit yearly. They take loss, build the value and try to win, to be the biggest , baddest, kick asssss mofo, but we have a nerd that uses people. Has used WV now Pittsburgh. Please stop defending this POS
Name one owner that takes a loss? Go ahead I'll sit here and wait

The Pirates will become sellers this year and we have a TON to sell that may have value. I think Freese, Jaso, Joyce, Rodriguez, Melancon, Watson, and Feliz all have some value and could bring back decent returns. Specifically, Melancon and Watson could get back something nice. I'd hope they would be looking to move Niese as well but aren't so sure of his value (I doubt they pick up his option at this point anyways). The real value would come from trading an effective and healthy Liriano and eventually Cutch.

Trading Cutch would be hugely unpopular to the masses but is going to happen eventually anyways. Might as well do it earlier when the return can be maximized. A trade involving Cutch is probably the only way we add another ace-level young pitcher to our staff in the short term, which we desperately need. A rotation built around Cole, Taillon, Glasnow and bolstered by another top arm and a reclamation project would have to be vastly better than the crap we are rolling out this year.

Pirates fans are going to start screaming as soon as they start selling major parts/fan favorites. The difference now is we will still have a strong nucleus on which to build upon as opposed to the AAAA crap that littered the roster in the early 00s.
Buddy they are not going into firesale mode, get that out of your head right now

Buddy they are not going into firesale mode, get that out of your head right now

I'm not your buddy, pal.

I'm not saying go into fire sale mode. But this club obviously has major deficiencies when it comes to pitching. How do the Pirates address their pitching needs without getting into the trade market in a significant way? I'm not saying everyone who can be traded should be traded, but all possibilities should be on the table. The FA market in 17 sucks and we know the Pirates aren't going to spend big $$$ when they weren't willing to spend moderate money on Happ to begin with. I'm not willing to put all of the eggs in the Taillon, Glasnow, Brault baskets yet, either.

Besides, fire sale implies that you are willing to sell anything and everything on the team. Even if all of the names I mentioned were to be traded away, you still have a very talented young nucleus signed for years to come. Do you think that getting rid of any of the players mentioned would significantly damage the team as currently constructed? Sure, Cutch would leave a big hole to fill but I think an OF of Marte, Polanco, Meadows with a strong 4th like Joyce would be just fine. And the return for Cutch should be monumental, provided he returns at least somewhat to form and the FO holds out for top return.

Last edited:
Reactions: PittPoker
ERA under 1.65, WHIP under 1.15, K/9 over 11.0, 13 straight no hit innings. Yep, can't possibly pitch in the majors.

Still a framing bias. And, to further the point:

1. Jose Berrios. Damn similar profile.

2. Go ahead and look at his BB/9 -- at the AAA level no less -- compared to the BB/9 leader in MLB (just go look at Liriano's page, he's the leader).

3. I have no use for WHIP or ERA or any other stat contingent on a pitcher's defense and BABIP luck.

4. Don't scout stat lines, that's rule #1 in evaluating when a prospect is ready.

5. Keith Law's quote on him yesterday, from scouts:

Tyler Glasnow is the team's top prospect, with huge stuff, including a plus fastball that comes right down at hitters from his 6-foot-8 frame and three weapons to get right-handed and left-handed hitters out. But I've spoken to scouts who have seen him this year, and not one thinks he has the command to pitch in the majors right now. He might not even have the control, with 42 walks in 77 innings, including 11 walks in 10.2 innings his past two starts. I still think Glasnow has ace upside in the long run, but I don't think he's going to be a substantial improvement over the guys behind Gerrit Cole and Taillon, and the best thing for his long-term development will be to leave him in Triple-A to work on that control and command.

After tonight, he's at 16 BB's in his last 17.2 innings. It's hilarious anybody thinks he'd come up and get anything but shelled. His K's will drop, his BB's will inflate -- it's what happens.

Reactions: OriginalEther
Jon Niese, Juan Nucasio, Jeff Locke.

You're dumb if you'd rather have them in the rotation that Tyler Glasnow.

Keep trying to defend the moron who put this awful rotation together, and keep trying to attribute it to luck.

Guess what, Tyler Glasnow has always K'd a ton of batters and has always had a low Hit/9, it's not luck it's talent. Guys at every level have been unable to square up on the ball. You know why? Because he's a damn fine pitcher, it has nothing to do with defense or luck.

But since you love FIP so much, his hasn't been above 2.95 since he was promoted to A+. Though since The Ginger Genius has deemed he still has boxes to check, you will find something, anything, to try to defend his moronic decision. If he calls Glasnow up next week, you will declare it perfect timing and salute NH.

To be honest, the dumb GM has wasted so much of the season on crap like Niese, Nicasio, Locke, Shugel, Boscan, Lobstein, Scahill, Luebke, etc. that it doesn't even matter if Glasnow comes up. Which was probably the plan all along, to punt on a season immediately after winning 98 games so you can stagger Taillon/Glasnow arrivals for payroll in 2022/2023 purposes, which is about the dumbest thing ever.

But hey, Jon Niese is on a one year contract, so that's a great deal. What a f*#£ing joke.

Jon Niese, Juan Nucasio, Jeff Locke.

You're dumb if you'd rather have them in the rotation that Tyler Glasnow.

Keep trying to defend the moron who put this awful rotation together, and keep trying to attribute it to luck.

Guess what, Tyler Glasnow has always K'd a ton of batters and has always had a low Hit/9, it's not luck it's talent. Guys at every level have been unable to square up on the ball. You know why? Because he's a damn fine pitcher, it has nothing to do with defense or luck.

But since you love FIP so much, his hasn't been above 2.95 since he was promoted to A+. Though since The Ginger Genius has deemed he still has boxes to check, you will find something, anything, to try to defend his moronic decision. If he calls Glasnow up next week, you will declare it perfect timing and salute NH.

To be honest, the dumb GM has wasted so much of the season on crap like Niese, Nicasio, Locke, Shugel, Boscan, Lobstein, Scahill, Luebke, etc. that it doesn't even matter if Glasnow comes up. Which was probably the plan all along, to punt on a season immediately after winning 98 games so you can stagger Taillon/Glasnow arrivals for payroll in 2022/2023 purposes, which is about the dumbest thing ever.

But hey, Jon Niese is on a one year contract, so that's a great deal. What a f*#£ing joke.
Wow mvk, you sound like me 100% I've been saying this the whole season. Totally agree.

I'm not your buddy, pal.

I'm not saying go into fire sale mode. But this club obviously has major deficiencies when it comes to pitching. How do the Pirates address their pitching needs without getting into the trade market in a significant way? I'm not saying everyone who can be traded should be traded, but all possibilities should be on the table. The FA market in 17 sucks and we know the Pirates aren't going to spend big $$$ when they weren't willing to spend moderate money on Happ to begin with. I'm not willing to put all of the eggs in the Taillon, Glasnow, Brault baskets yet, either.

Besides, fire sale implies that you are willing to sell anything and everything on the team. Even if all of the names I mentioned were to be traded away, you still have a very talented young nucleus signed for years to come. Do you think that getting rid of any of the players mentioned would significantly damage the team as currently constructed? Sure, Cutch would leave a big hole to fill but I think an OF of Marte, Polanco, Meadows with a strong 4th like Joyce would be just fine. And the return for Cutch should be monumental, provided he returns at least somewhat to form and the FO holds out for top return.
Cutch could be gone this July....if he picks it up.
They seem to be fast tracking Meadows but a monumental trade return for Cutch, that's questionable.
Trading Cutch this season would only happen imo if they have fallen out of any chance for a WC, in which case attendance will drop and so will the forecast for next year's. They will make that up in payroll cuts so the likely return would be prospects with maybe a very young guy already up.

It could turn out to be a good deal but not likely "monumental" on the day it happens.

Troubling thing this year, aside from the injuries (what is really wrong with Cole ) and Liriano falling off the table , is a team which won 98 games was deliberately turned into a bridge team for one real reason...payroll.

If the Bucs are lucky perhaps a bad year (should there be no fixing it in-season) will be followed by a good year ...but only if Cole returns and young pitching is as good as promised and gets it done.

Last edited:
So we won nothing , and we are calling these past few years the GOOD OLD DAYS ? Yinzers, where losing is accepted and at times celebrated!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT