ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Buccos

What's really funny, WV hates nuttsack, and they know him as a cheap bastard, when he was stealing papers, and giving his employees a bad deal as an owner years ago. LONG BEFORE, HE IS DOING THE SAME IN THE BURGH

Last edited:
Reactions: paulbl99
Don't worry, once they're 3 games under .500 after the Cubs sweep them, people will start bitching. Then nutting or is it nutsack? Will offer them a Jose Tabata bobble head (with lips tatoo on the neck), some fireworks and a live show by Styx!!!! Then all will be forgotten.

Don't worry, once they're 3 games under .500 after the Cubs sweep them, people will start bitching. Then nutting or is it nutsack? Will offer them a Jose Tabata bobble head (with lips tatoo on the neck), some fireworks and a live show by Styx!!!! Then all will be forgotten.
LOL! so true! Locke and Nicasio gay bashed by the Mets AAA line-up. Well, Neil was back 2nite, so mostly AAA line-up. Cutch playing like a washed up turd. The run of luck is coming to an end for Nutsack and the gang. One to many cheap gambles blowing up in the buccos face. He better crank out some good promos or there may be many empty seats come late July or August when the wildcard hopes have disappeared.

This isn't surprising to anybody, is it?

Please tell us again how it was a good strategy for a supposed contender to have Niese, Locke, and Nicasio in the rotation. God forbid you sign real pitchers, those guys aren't easy to cut (why this is seen as a positive is beyond me, but that's the way it is in Pirate-land, where Real Fans (TM) cheer for the GM, not the players.

Please tell us again how it was a good strategy for a supposed contender to have Niese, Locke, and Nicasio in the rotation. God forbid you sign real pitchers, those guys aren't easy to cut (why this is seen as a positive is beyond me, but that's the way it is in Pirate-land, where Real Fans (TM) cheer for the GM, not the players.

LOL.

Not sure why you want to laugh! It really is pathetic. Plug in anyone and turn up the hope meter. Got lucky with Volquez and Liriano so they were overdue to blow up with this plug and hope strategy.

I guess better to laugh than cry. I been laughing since 7:15

Not sure why you want to laugh! It really is pathetic. Plug in anyone and turn up the hope meter. Got lucky with Volquez and Liriano so they were overdue to blow up with this plug and hope strategy.

I mean, all free agent contracts that succeed are lucky. Did you not read the article I posted earlier? Almost every single free agent pitching contract where the player signed for more than 3 years and greater than $10MM a year failed miserably over the life of the deal.

The only ones that didn't were contracts that were entered into before a player's team control years were up, and a couple of free agent years were bought up. Even then, the years of team control wound up paying for the back end of the deal's lack of production -- so what was the point of extending the guy anyway?

Ironically, the only other one that is/was shaping up as a winner was Francisco Liriano's deal with the Pirates. And, well, that's very much in doubt now with over half the deal still remaining.

If you're going to gamble on a player not sucking in the upcoming year (because that's really all baseball is), it's far better to gamble on a prospect or a cheap guy you can get rid of easily without tying your hands going forward.

Free agency as a vehicle to build up your team is dead in the intellectually driven post-steroid era, and teams no longer make moves with just one year in mind unless they have a massive rebuild coming. Teams aren't dumb anymore, they aren't letting their young players go in favor of veterans -- the free agent pool is made up almost entirely of guys who are past their prime because teams now recognize the value of owning guys until they turn 30.

Marlins do, they buy a team, win, start over. What do they have 2 or 3 WS now? This is not the best approach , well maybe it is, but they go for it every 5 years of so.

Marlins do, they buy a team, win, start over. What do they have 2 or 3 WS now? This is not the best approach , well maybe it is, but they go for it every 5 years of so.

That's not how they do it at all. They develop their teams, their farm system was ridiculously successful for a time. The list of ex-Marlins farmhands was insane for a while. Guys like Hanley Ramirez, Josh Johnson before his arm fell off, Miguel Cabrera, AJ Burnett, etc..

Last time they bought a team they traded everybody by the time the season was half over. That was the year they moved into a new stadium and brought in Jose Reyes, Mark Buerhle, etc. and were just horrible.

Their owner, Jeffrey Loria, actually is the worst owner in sports.

Reactions: OriginalEther
I mean, all free agent contracts that succeed are lucky. Did you not read the article I posted earlier? Almost every single free agent pitching contract where the player signed for more than 3 years and greater than $10MM a year failed miserably over the life of the deal.

The only ones that didn't were contracts that were entered into before a player's team control years were up, and a couple of free agent years were bought up. Even then, the years of team control wound up paying for the back end of the deal's lack of production -- so what was the point of extending the guy anyway?

Ironically, the only other one that is/was shaping up as a winner was Francisco Liriano's deal with the Pirates. And, well, that's very much in doubt now with over half the deal still remaining.

If you're going to gamble on a player not sucking in the upcoming year (because that's really all baseball is), it's far better to gamble on a prospect or a cheap guy you can get rid of easily without tying your hands going forward.

Free agency as a vehicle to build up your team is dead in the intellectually driven post-steroid era, and teams no longer make moves with just one year in mind unless they have a massive rebuild coming. Teams aren't dumb anymore, they aren't letting their young players go in favor of veterans -- the free agent pool is made up almost entirely of guys who are past their prime because teams now recognize the value of owning guys until they turn 30.

You're sticking with this thing where you'd rather have terrible pitchers on 1 year deals than real pitchers? Seriously?

You deserve the team that's played the past 20 games or so. Enjoy Locke, Nicasio, and Niese.

How many WS do they since 79, and we have ? If I'm correct they buy players to go with the young talent , then let them leave FA after they win

You're sticking with this thing where you'd rather have terrible pitchers on 1 year deals than real pitchers? Seriously?

You deserve the team that's played the past 20 games or so. Enjoy Locke, Nicasio, and Niese.

As I have said repeatedly, it depends on where I am in my team's cycle of competitiveness. If I'm near the end of my window and/or have absolutely no internal options, I'm fine with spending more. I'm going to be trying to be bad when the player I'm paying is bad, so who cares? If anything, it helps me suck more in the future.

At this point in the Pirates' cycle, though? No. I have no desire to get into a multi-year deal with a back-end starter.

How many WS do they since 79, and we have ? If I'm correct they buy players to go with the young talent , then let them leave FA after they win

No, they developed their players, sold them off after the World Series to re-stock their farm system, then they developed their next wave of players and repeated the cycle. They don't let them go in free agency, they trade them and recoup their value.

Loria took over as their owner after selling the Expos in 2002. They've been awful since he took over and began meddling in the operations.

The guy who he took over for, John Henry, is now principal owner of the Red Sox and one of the leading pioneers in the analytics movement in baseball. Not surprisingly, he's the one who gave Theo Epstein his first shot.

Was Nicasio projected to be in the rotation? I thought I heard that it was supposed to be Vogelsong, but Nicasio pitched his way into it during Spring Training.

That should make you feel better right????

I am glad we scored a few runs, want to hear tubby, continue to praise his team about not quitting, getting good with that after each loss now

Has to be killing him on the inside, knowing what Lloyd M and others had to do as manager of the pirates, knife to a gun fight

The whole "the Marlins won 2 WS, how bad can Jeffrey Loria be?" question just cleared up so much for me.

Owners are actually indistinguishable from the franchise. The Pirates were cheap for 20 years under a previous owner, ergo, still cheap now despite breaking spending records in the draft, investing a ton of money in the Dominican, keeping everybody they should regardless of price (seriously, 8 figures to a relief pitcher is unheard of for a cheap team), building a proprietary analytics database, and staffing what's regarded as one of the more aggressive analytics departments in MLB.

As I have said repeatedly, it depends on where I am in my team's cycle of competitiveness. If I'm near the end of my window and/or have absolutely no internal options, I'm fine with spending more. I'm going to be trying to be bad when the player I'm paying is bad, so who cares? If anything, it helps me suck more in the future.

At this point in the Pirates' cycle, though? No. I have no desire to get into a multi-year deal with a back-end starter.

Wait, you'd rather add a real SP when the window is closing to prolong the rebuilding than at a time when it could very possibly put them over the top? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

It's what put the Phillies in the position they're in, in terms of a long rebuild.

Wait, you'd rather add a real SP when the window is closing to prolong the rebuilding than at a time when it could very possibly put them over the top? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

It's what put the Phillies in the position they're in, in terms of a long rebuild.

The Phillies are willingly doing what they're doing. The best way to rebuild is to be absolutely terrible and build up your farm system for several years.

The Phillies got bad in the first place because they gave out bad contracts that nobody wanted to Halladay, Lee, Howard, Utley, Rollins, Ruiz, etc.. They paid older guys who they had no business paying, they wound up maxing out their payroll, and then went into a long, slow decline as their old players got older, more unmovable, and they couldn't get anything out of their depleted farm system.

When it's time for the Pirates to rebuild, they are going to be bad for several years. Ideally you time it so that you don't wallow in mediocrity for several years like the Phillies did under Ruben Amaro, Jr. They're going to tank, and tank hard. That old guy will be here for a year or two at the end of the window and then probably another 1-3 years afterwards -- years when the Pirates will assuredly be bad.

Why wouldn't you add those pieces at the beginning of the window, even middle, why the end ?

Penguins get it, been saying that for years. They don't always win, screw up at times, but damn they try like hell every year

The whole "the Marlins won 2 WS, how bad can Jeffrey Loria be?" question just cleared up so much for me.

Owners are actually indistinguishable from the franchise. The Pirates were cheap for 20 years under a previous owner, ergo, still cheap now despite breaking spending records in the draft, investing a ton of money in the Dominican, keeping everybody they should regardless of price (seriously, 8 figures to a relief pitcher is unheard of for a cheap team), building a proprietary analytics database, and staffing what's regarded as one of the more aggressive analytics departments in MLB.

It's the same owner, champ. The Nuttings owned the majority of the team since the mid 90's.

Everyone invests a ton of money in the Dominican, what the Pirates did there was nothing special. They're actually far behind in Latin America in overall investment, including player bonuses.

They broke spending records in the draft because they were picking my top 4 every year. It's also much cheaper to spend on the draft than MLB payroll. Combined (draft plus payroll) they were still in the bottom 7 in the league.

Do you honestly believe building a proprietary database is unique to the Pirates (and anything more than a drop in the bucket financially)? Teams were doing that 15+ years ago, are you seriously giving them credit for doing this?

Fleury won't be back, worst kept secret in town. They will use that money to shore up a few players they want to keep, then sign some help, more speed, when needed.

It's the same owner, champ. The Nuttings owned the majority of the team since the mid 90's.

Everyone invests a ton of money in the Dominican, what the Pirates did there was nothing special. They're actually far behind in Latin America in overall investment, including player bonuses.

They broke spending records in the draft because they were picking my top 4 every year. It's also much cheaper to spend on the draft than MLB payroll. Combined (draft plus payroll) they were still in the bottom 7 in the league.

Do you honestly believe building a proprietary database is unique to the Pirates (and anything more than a drop in the bucket financially)? Teams were doing that 15+ years ago, are you seriously giving them credit for doing this?

Correct, they let KM take the heat for a number of years, while they were the owners, and he was the face and punching bag, while the red neck prince pocketed money

The Phillies are willingly doing what they're doing. The best way to rebuild is to be absolutely terrible and build up your farm system for several years.

The Phillies got bad in the first place because they gave out bad contracts that nobody wanted to Halladay, Lee, Howard, Utley, Rollins, Ruiz, etc.. They paid older guys who they had no business paying, they wound up maxing out their payroll, and then went into a long, slow decline as their old players got older, more unmovable, and they couldn't get anything out of their depleted farm system.

When it's time for the Pirates to rebuild, they are going to be bad for several years. Ideally you time it so that you don't wallow in mediocrity for several years like the Phillies did under Ruben Amaro, Jr. They're going to tank, and tank hard. That old guy will be here for a year or two at the end of the window and then probably another 1-3 years afterwards -- years when the Pirates will assuredly be bad.

What? Someone like Zimmerman signed for 5 years entering his age 30 season, he might get be around for a year when they could be out of contention, but at that point, they'll still have Glasnow and Taillon so they very well could be the best team in the NL Central as well with those three. They'll have Marte and Polanco at that point, and Meadows.

The time to add a legitimate SP is at the opening or middle of a run, not at the end. The Cubs signed Lester to open their run, and signed Alackey this year to help put them over the top. That is why they are boat racing the Pirates, they didn't go out and sign Vogelsong and Nicasio and pray everything worked out.

1. Oh okay so the timing of it was just a massive coincidence with when Bob Nutting became principal owner. That makes a lot of logical sense.

2. I'm talking their Dominican Complex and facilities. What goes on with Dominican signings from a financial perspective I have little to no concern with, it's a bunch of 16-year old kids. At this point they seem to be spending their allotted bonus pool.

3. Literally has nothing to do with draft position. They had plenty of Top 4 picks previously and punted on all of them because of signing bonus demands. Literally wouldn't touch a Boras client with a 10-foot pole because of bonus demands.

4. I don't believe it's unique to them at all, however, it's most certainly a pretty significant investment. One that makes far more impact than a middle aged free agent.

Last edited:
Well , I knew those 3 clowns in the starting rotation would be a cluster F from the jump. The Pirates didn't know this as well? Come on

What? Someone like Zimmerman signed for 5 years entering his age 30 season, he might get be around for a year when they could be out of contention, but at that point, they'll still have Glasnow and Taillon so they very well could be the best team in the NL Central as well with those three. They'll have Marte and Polanco at that point, and Meadows.

The time to add a legitimate SP is at the opening or middle of a run, not at the end. The Cubs signed Lester to open their run, and signed Alackey this year to help put them over the top. That is why they are boat racing the Pirates, they didn't go out and sign Vogelsong and Nicasio and pray everything worked out.

Yeah, you're really overemphasizing the Lester and Lackey moves relative to their prospects and their dumpster dives.

And, I left open the possibility of signing a free agent in the middle if you have no internal options (which the Cubs don't, their system is lean on arms). The Pirates signed Liriano back when they had absolutely nobody in the farm system who threw left handed, after all.

Will people call them cheap when they let Arrieta walk in free agency? He's already said he wants 6 years and Epstein has said they're more comfortable with 3. Is that going to be Epstein being cheap and not wanting to win? Or is that a guy who sees a bunch of youngsters and wants to make sure he maximized his window?

The Pirates Dominican facility isn't unique or special in any way. That they spent $5m on it doesn't really impress me much.

If it was the propriety database that led them to trade for Niese, sign Nicasio and Vogrlsong, and tender Locke a contract, then they should dump the code and start over.

If the Cubs didn't sign Lackey and Lester, they wouldn't be anywhere near as good as they are. They also spent big on Fowler, Zobrist, and Heyeard, but yeah, it's just their prospects.

You don't actually believe the stuff you post, do you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT