ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Food Trucks

lol, Thoughts and prayers to 17 and 18 year old kids who have to work outside. Could you imagine? Oh wait, 99% of us have done this..

that thread was amusing to say the least..

Back to food trucks, i got to try this lobster roll truck. i think SMF or someone else said it's good. As long as they dont put freakin mayo on it and use butter, im gonna go for it. The butter vs Mayo on a lobster roll debate is unreal, cant believe anyone would want to F*** up lobster meat with mayo..
Cousins Maine Lobster truck is fantastic. We go once a month. They come here from Charlotte maybe 3-4 times per month. They have both Maine lobster rolls - cold with just-right mayo - and Connecticut lobster rolls - warm with butter. They really load them up with lobster. The price is not extortion either. I think the sandwich is $22, which is less than I paid in Maine in 2022.

I forgot to say that we have switched from the Maine to the Connecticut. It is far better to us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Had Five Guys for lunch today. Regular burger, regular fries and a regular soft drink was $20.50.
Yeah but their regular burger and regular fries will feed 2. I'm a big guy with a big appetite and their little burger and fries are enough for me for lunch.

Cousins Maine Lobster truck is fantastic. We go once a month. They come here from Charlotte maybe 3-4 times per month. They have both Maine lobster rolls - cold with just-right mayo - and Connecticut lobster rolls - warm with butter. They really load them up with lobster. The price is not extortion either. I think the sandwich is $22, which is less than I paid in Maine in 2022.
Yeah it is is really 1st rate!

Yeah but their regular burger and regular fries will feed 2. I'm a big guy with a big appetite and their little burger and fries are enough for me for lunch.
Especially in Western PA, we have this horrible habit of equating "value" of a meal with how much food there is. I ain't exactly someone who would be hired to be an extra in Schindler's List (meaning I am not skinny for the uninitiated) but my god, I cannot believe how much food people can eat at a sitting.

Food trucks used to have a stigma of cheap food brought to worker's sites! They now have really good food but yes the price is much higher. Cousins in the NHs has quite the reputation and have had the lobster roll many times and always tastes great.
You’re confusing “food trucks” with onboard kitchens serving hot fresh food with the food famous roach coaches of yesteryear serving stale gas station tuna salad sandwiches.

Roach-Coach.jpg

Reactions: WillyDavis33
You’re confusing “food trucks” with onboard kitchens serving hot fresh food with the food famous roach coaches of yesteryear serving stale gas station tuna salad sandwiches.

Roach-Coach.jpg
Those tuna salad sandwiches had a very unique taste and smell...

nope...its up there also...just as a national sample the dominos two one topping mediums for 5.99 each which was in place for about a decade are now 7.99.. No such thing as two large one topping pizzas from the local shop for 18.99 specials which was common about 5 years ago....try again..

Maybe prices have gone up but pizza is insanely cheap.

Is it just me or have they gotten expensive? I used to be able to get a relatively inexpensive, yet filling and good lunch at the food trucks in Oakland. Now it seems like many of these trucks (at least in my area) cost the same as a sit down restaurant meal, which begs the questions... Why get food from a food truck when a nearby restaurant will be the same price, with heat or AC and be more relaxing?

Yeah, been like that down in Nashville for years. I dont get it, you dont have brick and mortar, dont have employees, yet you charge more than a restaurant would charge. A food truck used to be about half the price as restaurant food when they became popular, now its insane. And yes, fast food is worse, it is complete garbage food for a lot of money now. Yet, there is always a line... are we as a society this lazy? I dont get it.

Yeah, been like that down in Nashville for years. I dont get it, you dont have brick and mortar, dont have employees, yet you charge more than a restaurant would charge. A food truck used to be about half the price as restaurant food when they became popular, now its insane. And yes, fast food is worse, it is complete garbage food for a lot of money now. Yet, there is always a line... are we as a society this lazy? I dont get it.
People are paying those prices.

But soon they won’t be. Stay tuned.

Well, this is true. In a lot of cases it is unavoidable (well, not really, but to some it is), I think there will always be a business for it, but they are going to have to go through some negative inflation or else the model isnt going to work

Many brewpubs here use foodtrucks as their food source for customers. They rotate through with different trucks on a regular basis. Until these brewpubs decide to cook their own food, those trucks ain't going away.
I found this curious. I always thought that brewpubs survived on their food business. Maybe the food trucks can make better food to draw the customer base. But my experience is that brewpubs with average food don't last long.

I found this curious. I always thought that brewpubs survived on their food business. Maybe the food trucks can make better food to draw the customer base. But my experience is that brewpubs with average food don't last long.
Not here. Brewpubs survive on their own brews. Food is definitely an attraction and the food trucks are high quality. The lobster truck I discussed above is a once-a-month regular at 2 different brewpubs here. Neither has food service otherwise.

Not here. Brewpubs survive on their own brews. Food is definitely an attraction and the food trucks are high quality. The lobster truck I discussed above is a once-a-month regular at 2 different brewpubs here. Neither has food service otherwise.

I can see it working in that case. Kind of a win win. But not all food trucks are high quality and they all can't be at the brewpub. Just not seeing many of the same trucks that would serve a decent lunch at a good price, like existed on Pitt's and CMU's campuses years ago. Maybe I'm just not seeing them, or maybe the are no longer viable.

It's like anything else. If it is good, they will. If not, they won't. And the clientele of food trucks is different than many brick and mortar. It is usually younger, more adventurous, and again look for quality over quantity. Western PA is the leader in the clubhouse for the following mentality, but so many people think you should be served so much food that you have to have take out for another meal. That's garbage 1970's thinking.

It's like anything else. If it is good, they will. If not, they won't. And the clientele of food trucks is different than many brick and mortar. It is usually younger, more adventurous, and again look for quality over quantity. Western PA is the leader in the clubhouse for the following mentality, but so many people think you should be served so much food that you have to have take out for another meal. That's garbage 1970's thinking.
20180712_184916.jpg

As a part time food truck operator, the food truck business (to me) isn't what the OP and others who seem against it is. Yes, there are a lot that operate just to serve slop at a affordable rate but the good ones are what some call expensive for a reason. They supply a demand in certain culinary fields that the area or event craves. Me, I do a wood fired truck and I do very well when I feel like doing it at a fair cost to the consumer. I also love a good food truck since most places in the mon valley are restricted to basic yinzer slop

Reactions: USN_Panther
As a part time food truck operator, the food truck business (to me) isn't what the OP and others who seem against it is. Yes, there are a lot that operate just to serve slop at a affordable rate but the good ones are what some call expensive for a reason. They supply a demand in certain culinary fields that the area or event craves. Me, I do a wood fired truck and I do very well when I feel like doing it at a fair cost to the consumer. I also love a good food truck since most places in the mon valley are restricted to basic yinzer slop

So you serve pizza?

It's a never ending source of humor to see what people will bitch about......

Is it just me or have they gotten expensive? I used to be able to get a relatively inexpensive, yet filling and good lunch at the food trucks in Oakland. Now it seems like many of these trucks (at least in my area) cost the same as a sit down restaurant meal, which begs the questions... Why get food from a food truck when a nearby restaurant will be the same price, with heat or AC and be more relaxing?
Food Trucks a trendy thing, I read a story about a couple contracting food trucks to a park somewhere for an outdoor wedding reception, sure will suck if it rains.

agree 100%. screw panera.

The way to go is getting a hot rotisserie chicken at giant eagle, it's like 5 bucks, feeds a small family. get a side and you got a dinner for 4 for under 10 bucks.
I agree 100% with you but I don't think even rotisserie chickens are $5 anymore. Maybe at Costco but a lot of the grocery stores it's pushing $7-9

I agree 100% with you but I don't think even rotisserie chickens are $5 anymore. Maybe at Costco but a lot of the grocery stores it's pushing $7-9
I like Giant Eagles Fried chicken too

Get the grandma style potato salad or macaroni salad
And enjoy

there was a place up in Kane PA, we'd stop at, texas red hots, best chili dogs ever.

Had a cabin up there and every year we'd go hunting, would stop there first, every year since i can remember. damn that's a memory i miss with my brothers and dad..

Yeah but that's still cheaper or the same as the uncooked chicken. I think they sell them at a loss to get people into the store. Even still, you can get a whole chicken for $10 or less, and end up with two breasts, two drums, two thighs and two wings. Plus the tenders if separated from the breasts. Also, the bones which can be used to make soup. You can literally get at least 7 protein portions of a meal from at.

I have a food truck in my area that sells chicken sandwiches and fries for $15. That's probably $3 of food at the most. If they can sell it for that much, then I don't blame them. But that's a high price considering the other options available.

Used to be a Thai food truck at CMU where you could get a decent lunch of chicken pad thai or curry with rice for $7. Not sure if still there. And it certainly was not slop.

Food trucks have really helped all these brew pubs that they get in partnerships with. Also, perfect for gatherings and festivals, now you can have all of these food trucks with different stuff aside from "bar food" that are options. That's the other thing about food trucks, they mostly specialize in one type of thing or cuisine, so they tend to be pretty good at it.

there was a place up in Kane PA, we'd stop at, texas red hots, best chili dogs ever.

Had a cabin up there and every year we'd go hunting, would stop there first, every year since i can remember. damn that's a memory i miss with my brothers and dad..
I have a cabin there. Texas Hot Lunch still kicking too

Are you from New Castle, PA?
I grew up and still live in Mercer County.

My best friend's father was from Mahoningtown. He first took us to Coney Island when we were in grade school, back in the 1960's. I've been going there ever since.

FYI. Coney Island will be opening a new restaurant this spring in Hermitage.

i had a cabin in clermont, loved it up there. cabin is gone..
We had a camp outside of Marienville in Loleta area. Miss that. Dad sold it without consulting me or my brother if we wanted to take it over.

That's not quite as bad as he selling my grandfather's farm, who this week the local newspaper indicated they are building 3 more gas wells on the property which brings the number to 5!!!! I feel like knocking on the door of the people they sold it to and asking them for $100 bill. Just because.

• Haha
I grew up and still live in Mercer County.

My best friend's father was from Mahoningtown. He first took us to Coney Island when we were in grade school, back in the 1960's. I've been going there ever since.

FYI. Coney Island will be opening a new restaurant this spring in Hermitage.
I grew up in NC, my dad owned the G&H Restaurant in Mahoningtown which also made and sold the exact same chilidogs for years, also lived in Mahoningtown a couple years, he retired in the late 70s and sold his place, and worked part time at Coney Island through the 80s as a retiree, I grew up on those hot dogs, in fact my life was financed by selling them as a kid, I still know the people who own the Coney Island currently. Best chilidogs out there, of course I'm biased.

• Love
Reactions: HOF Coach
Food Trucks a trendy thing, I read a story about a couple contracting food trucks to a park somewhere for an outdoor wedding reception, sure will suck if it rains.
Trendy for about 15 years now. Very commonly hired for private events, parties, etc. That's a huge piece of the business model.

Surely this is not new info to you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT