ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NHL Playoffs

Luckily you cant carry extra goals over to the next game - if Flyers win next in OT, still 1-1.

Next game is huge, probably more huge than usual for a Game 2. If the Flyers lose, I think it is 2008 all over again, a short series. The Flyers looked a bit lost and over matched. Fumbling passes, shots and just sometimes seemingly in awe. They are a young team, they will be a good team in a year or 3. But if they win, they will get the confidence needed.

Next game is huge, probably more huge than usual for a Game 2. If the Flyers lose, I think it is 2008 all over again, a short series. The Flyers looked a bit lost and over matched. Fumbling passes, shots and just sometimes seemingly in awe. They are a young team, they will be a good team in a year or 3. But if they win, they will get the confidence needed.

Yeah, the Flyers have been very frustrating to watch this season. Will have a complete AHL showing and then come out and look unbeatable. However, as we have seen earlier this year, their streakiness also can extend for multiple games (i.e first team in NHL history to have a 10 game win streak and 10 game losing streak in the same season). But I agree, game 2 is huge. This young team does seem to let the emotion get to them a bit.

Yeah, the Flyers have been very frustrating to watch this season. Will have a complete AHL showing and then come out and look unbeatable. However, as we have seen earlier this year, their streakiness also can extend for multiple games (i.e first team in NHL history to have a 10 game win streak and 10 game losing streak in the same season). But I agree, game 2 is huge. This young team does seem to let the emotion get to them a bit.

I can say they are young, the young D guys (specifically Provorov and Gostisbehere are really good young D) and Patrick, Konecke, Lindblom are good young forwards, but Giroux, Voracek, Couturier, Simmonds are good, and have been around for almost as long as Sid and Geno. Again, the Flyers goaltending situation kills them. You can see the doubt creep into their game yesterday, it was like the blood draining from them, at home.

But Game 4 is Game 4, not Game 3 continued so.......

They'll be better when Oveckin leaves.
They don't play as a team it's all about Oveckin so I hope he stays around for a while longer.

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Well it depends............if they can get a haul for him. But he is going to be hard to move being a high priced winger, they usually aren't as in demand as Centers or Dmen. Probably the Caps would have to retain some $$ like Toronto did with Kessel.

Let's look at matchups. Pens vs TB or Pens vs Boston. I think both are trouble for the pens. What say you?

Let's look at matchups. Pens vs TB or Pens vs Boston. I think both are trouble for the pens. What say you?

Yes. Absolute trouble. But you still have to win 2 more games against the Flyers, and a series against CBJ or Washington. So.....I am not even thinking ahead to those teams.

But man, the Bruins and Bolts look like juggernauts

Yes. Absolute trouble. But you still have to win 2 more games against the Flyers, and a series against CBJ or Washington. So.....I am not even thinking ahead to those teams.

I have no issue looking as a fan past Philly and Washington or Columbus. I worry a ton about east finals.

They'll be better when Oveckin leaves.
They don't play as a team it's all about Oveckin so I hope he stays around for a while longer.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

ovechkin has great playoff numbers so how is it his fault? the caps were better than the pens last year except for in net

so do the pens

tampa is a lesser version of the pens, and people are still pretending 2013 is still relevant today when it comes to boston

Boston, Tampa Bay, and Nashville all lost yesterday .
Nobody is untouchable.
This is what makes the NHL playoffs great and hardest trophy to win.

Last edited:
ovechkin has great playoff numbers so how is it his fault? the caps were better than the pens last year except for in net
When he has great numbers the rest of the team doesn't. When he plays like a team guy the entire team plays well.
One player doesn't win games in any team sport.
When he plays the PENS he tries to dominate the games shutting down the rest of his team.
It's great to watch so I want him to hand around for a while!
Ask the Chicago Bulls about when it was all Jordan ( big pt total) they lost, when it was Jordan spreading it around, playing with the team they won championships!

Ride the Blue Line !

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
Remember when VJPitt would go on and on about how the Pens needed to trade Malkin? Good times.

When he has great numbers the rest of the team doesn't. When he plays like a team guy the entire team plays well.
One player doesn't win games in any team sport.
When he plays the PENS he tries to dominate the games shutting down the rest of his team.
It's great to watch so I want him to hand around for a while!
Ask the Chicago Bulls about when it was all Jordan ( big pt total) they lost, when it was Jordan spreading it around, playing with the team they won championships!

Ride the Blue Line !

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

You throw around these anecdotes like you are some Greek elder, but you are in many cases, wrong. Ask the Chicago Bulls how many championships they won without Jordan?

He was banned here. Then he went to BWI and spouted off there for a while until he was vanquished there too. Don’t know if he ever had a paid subscription over there.

He got banned from there for his views on the scandal. Not sure what he did here.

I have to admit, I held my nose and rooted for the Caps last night. I want that series to be long and hard for whoever wins. A couple more double OT games would be fine.

How does the guy who traded Artemi Panarin for Brandon Saad still have a job. I am torn between who I want to win. Both teams have been Penguin marks, but Panarin has been a Penguin killer.

The Caps look slow. And the Blue Jackets aren't exactly a fast team.

Reactions: Jakey_John
You throw around these anecdotes like you are some Greek elder, but you are in many cases, wrong. Ask the Chicago Bulls how many championships they won without Jordan?
I was talking about the Jordan era with the Bulls.

Early Jordan they did alot of losing and he Jordan did alot of scoring.

Mid to late Jordan the Bulls did alot of winning as Jordans numbers declined a bit as his teamates actually got a chance to participate in the scoring.
I stopped watching the Bulls and the NBA around the time Jordan left the Bulls.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

And how many did Jordan win without pippen?

Tough to win 1 on 5
This is what I was attempting to point out!
When a great player like Jordan or Oveckin dominates shot attempts, or scoring its hard for the other good guys on the team to get in the game.
IMO thats why the Caps lose play-off games and series.

The PENS super stars have learned how to play as a part of a team which maxs out the PENS talent and IMO thats why the PENS win play-off games and series.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

This is what I was attempting to point out!
When a great player like Jordan or Oveckin dominates shot attempts, or scoring its hard for the other good guys on the team to get in the game.
IMO thats why the Caps lose play-off games and series.

The PENS super stars have learned how to play as a part of a team which maxs out the PENS talent and IMO thats why the PENS win play-off games and series.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

In the Caps case, it is not that quite simple.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Crosby still best in the game.
Philly down to one game elimination on Friday.

I have to admit, I held my nose and rooted for the Caps last night. I want that series to be long and hard for whoever wins. A couple more double OT games would be fine.

How does the guy who traded Artemi Panarin for Brandon Saad still have a job. I am torn between who I want to win. Both teams have been Penguin marks, but Panarin has been a Penguin killer.

The Caps look slow. And the Blue Jackets aren't exactly a fast team.

I agree with everything you said but I’m pulling for CBJ because round 2 is completely new territory for them. Similarly I think Bobrovsky doesn’t want to have anything to do with them.

It must be why the caps always go so deep in the playoffs.

like i said look at his overall playoff numbers, calling him a choker means you don't know what you're talking about

he was better than crosby in the series in 2016 and even better than him in 2009 when they both were on fire

it takes a team

It's an interesting argument. Especially if Sid wins another Cup. But, IMO, a long time hockey fan who watched it and followed the Pens even BEFORE Mario, here's my thoughts.

Mario. Gretzky. Orr. 66, 99, 4. However you want to order them, I am not going to argue. But they were the three greatest players in history. It is not just their statistics, which are unsurpassed, if you watched them, you would understand. They are the greatest players.

Then there is a next level of 5-6 players. Sid is on this list. Howe. Messier. Maurice Richard. Jagr. Possibly Bourque,

Then on the list of next 20 players, Malkin is certainly on it.

As Penguin fans, we have been incredibly blessed.

Anyone shocked or disappointed in the Pens/Flyers series? It is funny, they only finished what 2 points apart in the standings? Just one of the two teams took the first 40 games as a morning skate. The Pens have shown just how much better they are than the Flyers, and it is funny that alot of Philly fans, and their homer journalists (if you think the local media guys are homers with the Pens, you haven't seen much from Philly). They aren't on this level. This is Alabama playing Vanderbilt. Philly may be a real good team in a few years, but they aren't right now.

What is most disappointing, they seem to have quit. So much for Giroux's leadership, he is on a milk carton. On a positive note, he is leading the NHL Playoffs Open at a -7. But where is the push back? Where is the Flyer like stuff? Dave Hakstol sits there with this emotionless blank stare. Bobby Clarke and Paul Holmgren must be pulling their hair out. Ed Snider has to be rolling in his grave.

And it is time for Flyer fans and the organization to stop feeling superior to the Pens. You are down 5 Cups to 2. The Pens have had 15 of the last 30 scoring championships. You are not a better franchise anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT