ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pens

Seeing what the Caps did today in their trade with the Bruins, that’s exactly what the Pens need to do. Sell, stockpile picks, get younger guys in the lineup, and retool for next year.
I've been saying this since 18.

I went on Twitter last summer and predicted a failure season by pens and all these young fans jumped on me with emotional and nostalgic arguments about keeping the guys together and all that horseshit.

Old management and Crosby and new management I think are all to blame for their myopic perception of the team

I've been saying this since 18.

I went on Twitter last summer and predicted a failure season by pens and all these young fans jumped on me with emotional and nostalgic arguments about keeping the guys together and all that horseshit.

Old management and Crosby and new management I think are all to blame for their myopic perception of the team
IMO, it all started going downhill with the Reaves trade during the 2017 Draft. It wasn’t necessarily the fact that we were losing Sundqvist (although I liked him), it was more so the signaling that we were moving away from leaning on our speed from our young players. That was, and still is, the best style of play to complement an aging and slowing core.

Last edited:
IMO, it all started going downhill with the Reaves during the 2017 Draft. It wasn’t necessarily the fact that we were losing Sundqvist (although I liked him), it was more so that signal that we were moving away from leaning on our speed from our young players. That was, and still is, the best style of play to complement an aging and slowing core.
Sid and others loved having Reaves around, Sully wouldn't put him on the ice. Not only was he a tough guy, for several years after he he left he was still a better hockey player than anyone else we out on the fourth line. BTW, McCann leading the Kraken in scoring, good thing we protected Carter instead!!

Sid and others loved having Reaves around, Sully wouldn't put him on the ice. Not only was he a tough guy, for several years after he he left he was still a better hockey player than anyone else we out on the fourth line. BTW, McCann leading the Kraken in scoring, good thing we protected Carter instead!!
I will say that although I didn’t like that trade, it was pointless not to play him. Bad situation all-around.

And yeah, he’d be really helpful right now. His 3C pairing could’ve been Freddy Gaudreau, who has broken out the past two seasons after spending time here as well. Really liked him, wish we kept him.

Pens have always seemed to lack the mentality of selling high on players. I know you want to keep things intact but they’d be In a much different spot today if they had traded away guys like Guentzel, Rust, Dumo a few years ago for a return of high level prospects. Heck, I was one of the very few people I knew advocating for trading Murray and keeping Fluery. You’ve got to sell high sometimes to extend your window.

I’m not a super huge hockey guy, just what I’ve seen over the years.

Reactions: Dan1911
Pens have always seemed to lack the mentality of selling high on players. I know you want to keep things intact but they’d be In a much different spot today if they had traded away guys like Guentzel, Rust, Dumo a few years ago for a return of high level prospects. Heck, I was one of the very few people I knew advocating for trading Murray and keeping Fluery. You’ve got to sell high sometimes to extend your window.

I’m not a super huge hockey guy, just what I’ve seen over the years.
There is an old adage in sports, "it is better to trade a guy a year too early, than a year too late." Essentially that is sell high, not low. This sure seems to be the second GM in a row that the coach and his preferred style of playing, and the GM have deviated in supplying players to fit that style.

It's funny, I can trace some bad luck in having not one, but two expansion drafts were a Cup winner and contender. It sapped the Pens of some of the ability to take some depth and trade it for younger assets merely losing some pieces to the expansion draft. I am not saying that is the reason why we are here, but it didn't help.

'Never try to guess the top of the market.' If you're in the money, it's a good time to sell ( paraphrase of PT Barnum).
Pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered: Don't get too greedy. Take your profit and move on.

Shoulda sold some players high. And NO, I didn't want to re-sign Malkin, Carter, Kapanen, and Letang. And certainly never trade for Petry.

So Crosby has a few years left? He's on a team that is trapped with no cap space and bad players. How is this any better than selling high and having a plethora of young talent Sid could pass the torch to?

It wasn't the lack of speed difference that was so bothersome last night.

It was the lack of effort. Will. Lack of pushback. Lack of interest. Like I said, Sid of all people looked like he was on a morning skate. Looked like he had other things to do.

In some ways, I am happy that Jarry is proving himself to either a) not be the answer or b) maybe needs to shine a short term "prove it" contract. Because I would hate this organization to be saddled with another bad contract.

Quick, name the latest Penguin forward draft choice to have scored a goal in the NHL???? Anyone?? Daniel Sprong. He is 25 years old, will be 26. He was drafted in 2015.

So the Pens have gone almost 7 years with any of its draft picks actually skating a regular shift. Guys like O'Connor were college free agents, POJ was a gotten in a trade.

When it has been that long and the last 4 years have been 1st rd exits, maybe the real prudent move this past offseason was for FSG to bring in new front office, not sign any of these guys, ask Sid if he would be amenable to trade and just burn it down and start building back up.

It wasn't the lack of speed difference that was so bothersome last night.

It was the lack of effort. Will. Lack of pushback. Lack of interest. Like I said, Sid of all people looked like he was on a morning skate. Looked like he had other things to do.

In some ways, I am happy that Jarry is proving himself to either a) not be the answer or b) maybe needs to shine a short term "prove it" contract. Because I would hate this organization to be saddled with another bad contract.

Quick, name the latest Penguin forward draft choice to have scored a goal in the NHL???? Anyone?? Daniel Sprong. He is 25 years old, will be 26. He was drafted in 2015.

So the Pens have gone almost 7 years with any of its draft picks actually skating a regular shift. Guys like O'Connor were college free agents, POJ was a gotten in a trade.

When it has been that long and the last 4 years have been 1st rd exits, maybe the real prudent move this past offseason was for FSG to bring in new front office, not sign any of these guys, ask Sid if he would be amenable to trade and just burn it down and start building back up.
Trading sid is silly since he’s on a bargain contact

Now the rest - Malkin and letang should have been shopped long ago

As annoying as they are the carter and kapanen deals aren’t saddling the franchise

Close, but not actually true. Kasper Björkqvist was drafted in 2016 and has a goal. Technically Dominik Simon was drafted after Daniel Sprong as well, just in the same year.

Oh I don’t disagree. for whatever reason, we’ve got a lot of defensemen and goalies over that time, too. But I think Puustinen, Nylander, and Hallender have potential. Time will tell with Legare.
They do? Then why aren't they up here? It is one thing to trade 1st rounders, but again Shero at least picked guys like Guentzel, Rust, Sundquist, Murray, Jarry beyond the first rd. Rutherford's drafts were horrid. Hextall's are unknown, but he has famously picked Nolan Patrick over Cale Makar when he was at Philly.

They do? Then why aren't they up here? It is one thing to trade 1st rounders, but again Shero at least picked guys like Guentzel, Rust, Sundquist, Murray, Jarry beyond the first rd. Rutherford's drafts were horrid. Hextall's are unknown, but he has famously picked Nolan Patrick over Cale Makar when he was at Philly.
Yeah in retrospect, taking Patrick was a bust, no doubt. But let’s not pretend Patrick wasn’t the consensus top ranked player by central scouting that year. Makar was ranked like 9th. So pretty much everyone got it wrong.

Yeah in retrospect, taking Patrick was a bust, no doubt. But let’s not pretend Patrick wasn’t the consensus top ranked player by central scouting that year. Makar was ranked like 9th. So pretty much everyone got it wrong.
he is getting crushed for that in Philly. It is funny, even when the Flyers suck, they still can't do it right.

St Louis Blues just claimed Kapanen off waivers ..... ? if he will play against Pens today (that would be interesting).

Jarry in goal today for Pens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan1911
St Louis Blues just claimed Kapanen off waivers ..... ? if he will play against Pens today (that would be interesting).

Jarry in goal today for Pens.
Well, the best thing about the Blues claiming him, doesn’t that free up even more cap space now as opposed to him going down to WBS.

Going to WB the Pens would still be on the hook for some cap money, now none. St.Louis takes on all money but looking at Capfriendly the Pens still don't have 3.2 million cap space.

Going to WB the Pens would still be on the hook for some cap money, now none. St.Louis takes on all money but looking at Capfriendly the Pens still don't have 3.2 million cap space.
They probably have enough now to bring Rutta off LTIR without having to make another move 1st?

Crosby will be given (after asking for) Rust back on his line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT