ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The mess that is the Penguins

Not yet.
By virtue of their overtime win Thursday night in Columbus, the Penguins cannot open the playoffs as the second wild-card against the Atlantic Division champion.

If they lose in regulation to Ottawa, they could slip only as far as the first wild-card spot, which would mean a first-round matchup with the Capitals.

Yeah sorry my bad, just assuming a point against the Karlsonless Sens tonight.

Reactions: PittCity
Stanley Cup Playoffs- Round 1 ..... Pens vs Flyers ..... should be interesting !!

Stanley Cup Playoffs- Round 1 ..... Pens vs Flyers ..... should be interesting !!

Well, well, well................it is not that I am afraid of them, at all. But it is concerning that of the Pens 5 Cups, never once did they have to play and beat the Flyers. Now they beat them in 2008 and went to the Finals, but lost to Detroit

Hey, just so we beat them and get the Caps in rd 2 (all 5 Cups involved the Pens beating the Caps along the way) I will feel better.

Seriously, if Murray is even average, we win. What he can't be is Marc Andre Fleury bad like in 2012, who basically lost that series on his own.

Well, well, well................it is not that I am afraid of them, at all. But it is concerning that of the Pens 5 Cups, never once did they have to play and beat the Flyers. Now they beat them in 2008 and went to the Finals, but lost to Detroit

Hey, just so we beat them and get the Caps in rd 2 (all 5 Cups involved the Pens beating the Caps along the way) I will feel better.

Seriously, if Murray is even average, we win. What he can't be is Marc Andre Fleury bad like in 2012, who basically lost that series on his own.
The Penguins beat the Flyers in the first round en route to the Stanley Cup title in 2009. They beat Philly, Washington, Carolina and Detroit that year.

The Penguins beat the Flyers in the first round en route to the Stanley Cup title in 2009. They beat Philly, Washington, Carolina and Detroit that year.

Oh yes. You are right. The famous Max Talbot Sssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhh

Forgot about that.

Game #1 - Pens vs Flyers is Wednesday night (4/11/18) at 7PM in Pittsburgh ..... BUCKLE UP !!

3-0 after period 1 in Game 1 in 2012. Just saying.......don't let the foot off of the gas. But Philly looks a bit overwhelmed.

GREAT 1st period (one of the best this year)...... high tempo, nice pressure on the forecheck, winning battles for the puck in both ends, finishing scoring chances, really good back checking and breaking the puck out of our end, Murray looked good in goal ..... 3-0 Pens but a long way to go .... we'll see what happens in the 2nd period.

GREAT 1st period (one of the best this year)...... high tempo, nice pressure on the forecheck, winning battles for the puck in both ends, finishing scoring chances, really good back checking and breaking the puck out of our end, Murray looked good in goal ..... 3-0 Pens but a long way to go .... we'll see what happens in the 2nd period.

We need to start a new thread! LOL!!

Reactions: CCHS82
More of the same in the 2nd period ..... 5-0 Pens end of 2.

Crosby bats another one in.

If Geno's shot that went off the post after he went from the blue line around and through all the Flyers would have gone in, that would have been unbelievable .... one highlight after another !!

Not for nothing, the oft maligned and criticized Matt Murray's last 3 playoff games have been shut outs. His career so far in the playoffs, 23-9. 1.88GAA 0.930 Save % and 5 Shutouts.

Again, more of the same in the 3rd period ...... total domination by the Pens ..... 7-0, Final !

Have to remember though that it is only one game ...... if the Flyers come back and win the second game by one goal, the series shifts in their favor ..... series far from over at this point.

Again, more of the same in the 3rd period ...... total domination by the Pens ..... 7-0, Final !

Have to remember though that it is only one game ...... if the Flyers come back and win the second game by one goal, the series shifts in their favor ..... series far from over at this point.
Yep, 7-0 blowout or 2-1 triple OT, it is only one game.

Weird, those of us who have followed this team and particularly these two teams, whoever thought the Flyers would have just no physical response what so ever.

Did you all notice the look on Filthy's backup goalie's face on the bench when it was clear he would be coming in? Talk about a guy who had NO INTEREST in any of that! Priceless!
Looks to me that the Flyers have a serious goalie deficiency especially against such an offensive onslaught as the Pens provide.

The Flyers will really bring it on Friday, they'll throw everything but the kitchen sink at Pittsburgh to try to get back into the series. First 5 minutes or so will be telling. They aren't as inept as they looked, but they have serious flaws in goal since their #1 is rusty.

BTW, did you know that Giroux was the best player in the world? I heard that somewhere.......

Not for nothing, the oft maligned and criticized Matt Murray's last 3 playoff games have been shut outs. His career so far in the playoffs, 23-9. 1.88GAA 0.930 Save % and 5 Shutouts.

Just for giggles
The oft maligned and criticized Marc Andre fleury pitched a 30 shot shutout in a 1-0 victory last night.

Because it’s fun to use a single sample size to quash a performance during the regular season.

Both are excellent goaltenders, the expansion draft meant one had to go. Murray is about 10 years younger and about 4 million dollars cheaper than Fleury so the decision was a pretty easy one.
I don't get this squabble.
Good luck to both of them, if and until Las Vegas meets Pittsburgh, which is highly unlikely.

Both are excellent goaltenders, the expansion draft meant one had to go. Murray is about 10 years younger and about 4 million dollars cheaper than Fleury so the decision was a pretty easy one.
Good luck to both of them, if and until Las Vegas meets Pittsburgh, which is highly unlikely.
There is no squabbling and i agree with protecting Murray.

Mostly just jest- because some protested at concern at Murray’s play this season, which was sub average.

I hope game 1 is a preview of future performance.
But it doesn’t change the past .

Mostly just jest- because some protested at concern at Murray’s play this season, which was sub average.

Change the past? Which past? Because the dude is and has been a stud when it counts

I still haven’t seen anyone write anything comprehensive on what Murray went through with his dad’s death, but that combined with some of his injuries certainly had to have contributed to a so-so season. That said, he has been absolutely money in the playoffs the last 2 years and picked right up where he left off last night. He’s a big game performer unlike Bobrovsky, Holtby and others who are usually in the Vezina conversation.

I still haven’t seen anyone write anything comprehensive on what Murray went through with his dad’s death, but that combined with some of his injuries certainly had to have contributed to a so-so season. That said, he has been absolutely money in the playoffs the last 2 years and picked right up where he left off last night. He’s a big game performer unlike Bobrovsky, Holtby and others who are usually in the Vezina conversation.
As noted -
I hope game 1 is his worst game.

Let’s hope you’re right -
But it’s one game .

He was rock solid in goal regular season last year , too.

I don’t presume an elevated level - but I hope you’re right.

Blue Jackets defeat Caps 4-3 in game #1 in OT .... Panarin with an outstanding goal in OT for the win.

I'm sure that his injuries and his father's illness and subsequent passing significantly affected his play this season ...... but, also, opponents have studied him, know his relative weaknesses and have exploited them to some degree (one example is his glove hand) ...... if you look at the last game Murray played in the regular season, the Pens won but he gave up 4 goals ...... one soft goal where he was in position but didn't seal the post and the other 3 goals were mainly because he was off angle/out of position for various reasons ..... his angles/position/technique/movement were better last year.

If you look at his advanced stats this season compared to last, they are all significantly worse this year ...... his save% compared to his expected save% based on the difficulty of shots he has faced is a negative, meaning his save% is lower then it should be for the shots he has faced ..... furthermore, if you look at his save % for low, medium, and high danger shots ..... his save% on low danger shots is one of the worst in the league, meaning to me that he is giving up too many soft goals and I think that goes back to some extent to lapses in angles/position/movement/ technique at times.... maybe injury has affected all of this.

Last night, he was seeing the puck, reading plays, moving well leading to being in proper position and he made all the saves, no soft goals ...... we know from the past that he can play that way and if he continues that type play throughout the playoffs it obviously would be HUGE for the Pens !

The question is whether he will stay healthy in the playoffs and whether his technique will hold up ...... he has done it before and hopefully he will again !! ..... the way he looked last night, I would not bet against him !!

Statistically wise this may have been Fleury’s finest season.

He wasn’t tested all that much last night, made a few tough saves but went long periods where he didn’t see a shot.

Couldn't agree more about regular season ESPECIALLY for this team. This isn't some up and coming team like they were in 2008 when they were trying to get themselves to be legit Cup contenders. This is a team coming off back to back Stanley Cups where Murray was lights out during those runs. Players on this team know what the ultimate prize is and just as important the coaches and Mgmt know that as well.

Regular season is only important to them to the extent they need to win enough games to get into the playoffs. After that it is almost entirely meaningless.

Couldn't agree more about regular season ESPECIALLY for this team. This isn't some up and coming team like they were in 2008 when they were trying to get themselves to be legit Cup contenders. This is a team coming off back to back Stanley Cups where Murray was lights out during those runs. Players on this team know what the ultimate prize is and just as important the coaches and Mgmt know that as well.

Regular season is only important to them to the extent they need to win enough games to get into the playoffs. After that it is almost entirely meaningless.
This year, home ice could be more important, if you look at the team's home/away record. They have been a much better team on home ice.
Other than that, agree that it's all about making the playoffs for this team. They have the horses and they know what and how to do it.
Have to stay healthy, especially on defense and in goal...injuries there could derail the whole thing.

Fleury has a cap hit and salary of $5.75M. Murray has a cap hit and salary of $3.75M.

Still the same decision, but the difference in cap/salary is half as much.

Regular season stats are for pussies.

Remember when you threatened to report me to Chris for personal insults? Good times. Must have hit a little close to home to get you so riled up, huh?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT