ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The mess that is the Penguins

Remember when you threatened to report me to Chris for personal insults? Good times. Must have hit a little close to home to get you so riled up, huh?

Are you Souf's big brother? He posted something stupid. He tries to pick arguments with everyone. I just threw out the trump card.

Reactions: FireballZ
Are you Souf's big brother? He posted something stupid. He tries to pick arguments with everyone. I just threw out the trump card.

Nope. And Souf doesn't need me to stick up for him. I do get a kick out of your hypocrisy though. And sometimes I feel compelled to draw your attention to it.

GAME 2 against the Flyers coming up shortly ...... every game is big ! ..... apparently some of the Flyers were guaranteeing a win in Game 2 after their loss in Game 1 ...... should be a good game !

Flyers up 1-0 end of the 1st period ..... I thought both teams played pretty well in the 1st period ...... Flyers got the puck in deep and forechecked better in the 1st period, were more responsible in their own end, played more physically early on, got a power play goal and Elliot was much better in the 1st period then he was in game 1 ..... that said, overall, thought the Pens actually outplayed the Flyers in the 1st period ..... we'll see how the teams adjust for the 2nd period.

Great save by Elliot on a breakaway by Crosby ..... still 2-0 Flyers, 2nd period ...... Letang hurt and in locker room ......

Last edited:
Flyers kill PP but Pens back on another power play .... period ends with Crosby missing a wide open net on the power play .... Flyers up 2-0, end of the 2nd period.

Haven't been able to get one past Elliot so far ..... Crosby missed on a breakaway, then he missed a wide open net on a pass in close on the power play.

If we can get one past Elliot it might open the flood gates.

Flyers win 5-1 ..... series tied 1-1 going to Philly ....... Elliot was HUGE for the Flyers in Game 2 ..... we'll see if the Pens make any adjustments for game 3.

This has been the story all year. The Pens either look like b2b champs or they would lose to Serra Catholic. They just have to hope to play like the former more often than not.

The talent is still there. They just have to decide to want it again.

Nope. And Souf doesn't need me to stick up for him. I do get a kick out of your hypocrisy though. And sometimes I feel compelled to draw your attention to it.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Ski11585
That sucked. But it always amazes me in this town, who over the last 25 years have seen more of these long playoff runs than anyone, would declare a series "over" after Game 1. It is like people never been through this before. The Flyers got the bounces, Elliott gained his bearings, Crosby had a few chances to change the tide and didn't, Geno was somewhat invisible.

One thing, the Pens PP needs to stop being infatuated with the beautiful goals. That is the one dangerous thing of having so many talented players on it, each one wants to out do the other, and sometimes they add a degree of difficulty to a play that needs none.

Anyone seen Phil Kessel?
Thought I saw his picture on a milk jug this morning. Also thought Brassard's forte was the playoffs?

This one was kind of predictable. Losing Letang for a long period messed up the PP, though he was one of several Pens who weren't sharp last night. When's the last time Crosby missed a wide open net and got stoned on a breakaway in the same game?

On to Philly, anything can happen in these series. If Elliott gets hot, who knows. Will the league do anything with Giroux's sneaky lunge on Letang? Doubt it........

Maybe the Pens got shocked enough to play some serious hockey, add a little desperation and grit/sweat to their game. Hornquist is showing up, others.....not so much.
Lots of hockey left in this series. Still think Pens have too much talent to lose to Philly in first round.

P.S. Just to add a little gasoline to the fire, Fleury now 2-0 for Vegas this playoff season.

Anyone seen Phil Kessel?
Thought I saw his picture on a milk jug this morning. Also thought Brassard's forte was the playoffs?

This one was kind of predictable. Losing Letang for a long period messed up the PP, though he was one of several Pens who weren't sharp last night. When's the last time Crosby missed a wide open net and got stoned on a breakaway in the same game?

On to Philly, anything can happen in these series. If Elliott gets hot, who knows. Will the league do anything with Giroux's sneaky lunge on Letang? Doubt it........

Maybe the Pens got shocked enough to play some serious hockey, add a little desperation and grit/sweat to their game. Hornquist is showing up, others.....not so much.
Lots of hockey left in this series. Still think Pens have too much talent to lose to Philly in first round.

P.S. Just to add a little gasoline to the fire, Fleury now 2-0 for Vegas this playoff season.

He's definitely hurt. I know he had his games played streak, but I was kind of pissed they played him the last week of the season, because it is obvious he has been hurt for awhile now.

I loved how Hornquist gets an "embellishment" call when he gets boarded from behind. The NHL is ridiculous.

Just wasn't in the cards last night.

Last night's issues all stemmed from those useless referees who gave the Flyers the powerplay as a result of a clean hit by Astin-Reese. That was an awful call. They got the first goal and outskated and outwanted that game more than the Pens. If they don't get the free opportunity to get the first goal it may not have gone the way it did. The refs are the great equalizer in any series.

Flyers win 5-1 ..... series tied 1-1 going to Philly ....... Elliot was HUGE for the Flyers in Game 2 ..... we'll see if the Pens make any adjustments for game 3.

Not sure they have to make any adjustments. Some have said the FLyers wanted it more but I didnt see it that way. I thought for the most part the Pens carried the play to the FLyers as evidenced by the lopsided shot totals for most of the game. Difference for the most part was the FLyers got the bounces and calls and the pens didnt. It happens.

The only thing I'd change is to have them not try to be so cute on the PP, Shoot the Puck more and get traffic in front of Elliot. Pens in 5

Not sure they have to make any adjustments. Some have said the FLyers wanted it more but I didnt see it that way. I thought for the most part the Pens carried the play to the FLyers as evidenced by the lopsided shot totals for most of the game. Difference for the most part was the FLyers got the bounces and calls and the pens didnt. It happens.

The only thing I'd change is to have them not try to be so cute on the PP, Shoot the Puck more and get traffic in front of Elliot. Pens in 5

Agree, mostly minor adjustments ...... Pens will play their style.

I thought the main differences in game 2 were .... 1) Elliot was really good in goal for the Flyers .... 2) The Flyers were good on the power play (2/3) and the Pens were bad (0-4) .... 3) We missed some great chances to score (Crosby got stopped on the breakaway, Crosby missed a wide open net near the end of the 2nd period on a pass across, and others) ..... 4) Too many giveaways (The Pens had 10 giveaways to the Flyers 3), some caused by the Flyers playing a 1-2-2 defense in Game 2 to clog the neutral zone and slow the Pens speed down and try to create turnovers and counterattacks.

So, I think the Pens will make some adjustments (mostly minor) on the power play, penalty kill, possibly the way they attack through the neutral zone, and do some things to make it tougher on Elliot in goal.

I agree with some questionable calls by the referees .... especially the Aston-Reese penalty and the Hornqvist embellishment but bottom line is, the Pens had 4 PP and no goals to the Flyers 3 PP resulting in 2 goals for them.

Game 3 should be very interesting !!

Flyers vs Pens ..... GAME 3 coming up ..... will the Pens rebound from their Game 2 loss ?

All Flyers so far early 1st period but score still 0-0 ...... Murray solid in goal, Pens turning it over repeatedly so far in their end and in the neutral zone against the Flyers 1-2-2 defense.

Pens changed lines for this game .... Hornqvist on the 1st line, Kessel on the 2nd line, and Rust on the 3rd line.

Pens lead 1-0 end of the 1st period ...... Flyers power play end of the 1st period was dominating but they didn't score (they have ~16 sec carryover PP into the 2nd period) ..... Pens were not aggressive on the penalty kill and the Flyers were getting a lot of chances but Murray came up big.

Flyers outplayed the Pens by a pretty big margin in the 1st period but the Pens lead 1-0.

Pens having a problem with the Flyers forecheck so far and a problem with the Flyers 1-2-2 defense in the neutral zone.... a lot of turnovers ...... I think we are going to have to get the puck into the neutral zone and dump behind their defense and forecheck , that is how we scored.

Power Play goal for the Pens .... Brassard ... 2-0 Pens lead early 2nd period.

GREAT face-off win by Crosby after the PP goal and took it into the Flyers zone, passed to trailer Dumoulin who shoots and scores .... 4-0 Pens.

Flyers score on a shot from straight away at the blue line ..... Murray screened and didn't see it ...... went through the 5 hole ..... Pens up 4-1, late 2nd period.

Pens up 4-1, end of the 2nd period .... Flyers with 51 sec to go on a power play to carry over to the 3rd period.

No kidding !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since you are watching, what are your thoughts on the game ?
When Pens survived the Flyers early rush, and actually came out ahead, and with Murray playing on his game, the Pens will retake home ice advantage.
With one period to go, just need to play smart and this will be a deflating loss to Philly.

Pittsburgh sure hates to play the dump and chase game. The zone trap has always been their kryptonite. They are so confident in their ability to rush the puck up ice they can't help themselves. Almost cost them today, but Murray saved them time after time.

Brassard and Kessel showing up big today, and Crosby always tortures Philly.

Reactions: goalieman
When Pens survived the Flyers early rush, and actually came out ahead, and with Murray playing on his game, the Pens will retake home ice advantage.
With one period to go, just need to play smart and this will be a deflating loss to Philly.

Pittsburgh sure hates to play the dump and chase game. The zone trap has always been their kryptonite. They are so confident in their ability to rush the puck up ice they can't help themselves. Almost cost them today, but Murray saved them time after time.

Brassard and Kessel showing up big today, and Crosby always tortures Philly.

Good thoughts ..... I agree with you !

Special teams have been big today for the Pens ..... 3 PP goals and have killed all the Flyers PP's so far.... as opposed to awful performances in game 2 by the Pens.

The changes in the offensive lines that Sullivan has made for today are working well .... Hornqvist to 1st line, Kessel to 2nd line, and Rust to 3rd line.

Close this game out and get ready for Game 4.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT