ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The mess that is the Penguins

I am still on a bit of high. Again, I kind of went into that game expecting a loss. Like I said in another thread, my biggest concern simply is the Law of Probabilities.

Then that start. Then Pens happened. Murray responded and rebounded in a huge way. The Caps defense is more porous than the Pens.

Man, the pressure is on the Caps now in Game 2. If they go down 0-2, which they did against Columbus, they aren't coming back against this team. If the Pens win, all the Pens really have to do is take 1 in Pittsburgh. But if the Caps go down 0-2, this is going to be a short series.

Reactions: Jakey_John
I am still on a bit of high. Again, I kind of went into that game expecting a loss. Like I said in another thread, my biggest concern simply is the Law of Probabilities.

Then that start. Then Pens happened. Murray responded and rebounded in a huge way. The Caps defense is more porous than the Pens.

Man, the pressure is on the Caps now in Game 2. If they go down 0-2, which they did against Columbus, they aren't coming back against this team. If the Pens win, all the Pens really have to do is take 1 in Pittsburgh. But if the Caps go down 0-2, this is going to be a short series.

Yeah unreal game. Totally agree pressure is on the Caps for Game 2.

Without Geno and Haglin, I actually thought this was the year the Caps would beat the Pens. Game 1 doesn't automatically change that thought but it does make me rethink doubting this team. They simply know how to get it done even when it looks bleak(down 2 goals in 3rd).

Still think getting Geno back, and he appears close, will give the Pens the series edge. Without him, not so sure but again, I should never doubt this team.

Yeah, Game 2 is huge. We aren't Columbus. If the breaks start piling up against the Caps, the entire roster, staff and the fans will just implode. They are fragile like Pitt football fans. We all have a Pavlovian response to just the smallest bit of adversity.

Once again, playoff Matt Murray shows up to steal a game.

Who was the guy who was complaining about his save percentage being 28th in the NHL in mid-January :)

Philly and Caps people are such douches that I think any “fatigue” goes out the window.

Yeah keep yelling Crosby sucks

Thanks for sparking us.

It also helps when a third of the crowd in Washington's arena are cheering for the Pens.
Hopefully we see Malkin and/or Hagelin back by the time the series shifts back to PPG. Worst case, we come back home 1-1 and have home ice advantage.

As others have noted, the Pens experience the last two years is HUGE. I also think many of the problems we saw earlier in the year was partly due to team knowing they have to pace themselves and not spend all their energy leading up to the play offs. I think you'll see the Pens ramp up the focus and energy as the playoffs continue.

Pens had a ton of chances throughout the game.......really high level chances. That eventually wears on the goalie as it did last night and tends to accumulate and affect his confidence as the series continues. Thats something to watch as the series moves on. Pens dont seem to be fazed like they used to when they hit posts or the goalie makes a save. They just keep plugging away knowing they'll eventually get theirs.

Playoffs ..... Pens/Caps ...... Round #2, Game #2 coming up soon......

- Malkin out for Game #2 ...... the Pens will have to tighten it up defensively as they did in periods 2 and 3 of Game #1 ..... make sure they limit odd man breaks which plaqued them early in Game #1 especially when the defense pinches, a forward needs to get back to cover ...... communicate out there.

- Murray vs Holtby will be big again ...... Murray came up huge in Game #1.

- Special teams will be important again ..... both teams with great power plays ..... Pens will need to stay disciplined and take not stupid penalties ..... both teams were good about not taking penalties in Game #1.

- Some think the Caps might match their 2nd line (Backstrom, et al.) against Crosby's line ..... it was line 1 vs line 1 in Game #1 for the most part .... will be something to watch.

- Pens will need to get more production from lines 2 through 4.

- Both teams are good in transition ..... have to limit turnovers.

- I think both teams will try to exploit the others defense by getting the puck deep and going to work on the forecheck.

Should be a good one ! .....

stupid turnovers are killing the Pens. Overall though the craps are carrying the play

Murray has the WORST Glove Hand in the History ofthe NHL.. it’s not even close

2 Goals.. both Glove hand

Yes, the Caps are targeting glove hand high and both goals went in there ...... but the Pens are not playing well ...... very little puck possession in the Caps end, difficulty getting out of their own end and through the neutral zone, not winning battles on the boards ....... Murray has had 20 shots on goal in the 1st period !!

The 1st goal was a soft one with a shot from mid ice above the circles, no screen and no deflection ..... Murray should have had that one.

2nd goal was in tight and high danger ..... Murray was way too deep in the net leaving open net high where the score went over his glove hand again ...... Murray needed to push out toward the corner of the crease to cut the angle down but he couldn't because the Cap player interfered with Murray's left leg, straightening it out so although he could reset, he couldn't power push out to cut the angle down ..... because of that, I thought they could have called goalie interference....

3rd goal was breakaway on a bad change by the Pens that was a high danger tough shot for Murray to make a save and went off his glove hand and into the net.

Pens have played terrible so far .....

Yes, the Caps are targeting glove hand high and both goals went in there ...... but the Pens are not playing well ...... very little puck possession in the Caps end, difficulty getting out of their own end and through the neutral zone, not winning battles on the boards ....... Murray has had 20 shots on goal in the 1st period !!

The 1st goal was a soft one with a shot from mid ice above the circles, no screen and no deflection ..... Murray should have had that one.

2nd goal was in tight and high danger ..... Murray was way too deep in the net leaving open net high where the score went over his glove hand again ...... Murray needed to push out toward the corner of the crease to cut the angle down but he couldn't because the Cap player interfered with Murray's left leg, straightening it out so although he could reset, he couldn't power push out to cut the angle down ..... because of that, I thought they could have called goalie interference....

3rd goal was breakaway on a bad change by the Pens that was a high danger tough shot for Murray and went off his glove hand and into the net.

Pens have played terrible so far .....

Please straighten this out we don't have alot of time left to bring this series back to Pittsburgh up 2-0.

"save a horse ride a cowboy"
Signed: Mrs Buffett
Go CSU Rams & PITT Panthers

washington is flirting with danger. they've been lucky they haven't been called for a couple of penalties so far in the 2nd.

washington is flirting with danger. they've been lucky they haven't been called for a couple of penalties so far in the 2nd.

Thank you!
The Caps should have had their second goal called a no goal when they chopped Murray's leg out.

Go CSU Rams & PITT Panthers

Last edited:
highway robbery. i see white between the red line and black puck.

I don't like criticizing refs, but this game has had some of the most questionable calls and non-calls I have ever seen, on both sides. Obviously the two worst were the non-interference call and the no-goal, there is no reason this game shouldn't be 2-2 right now. Show me the difference between that no call on Murray and the interference call last night in OT that cost Vegas the win.

Reactions: CCHS82
another weak officiating call. alot worse that wasn't whistled has occurred today.

I don't like criticizing refs, but this game has had some of the most questionable calls and non-calls I have ever seen, on both sides. Obviously the two worst were the non-interference call and the no-goal, there is no reason this game shouldn't be 2-2 right now. Show me the difference between that no call on Murray and the interference call last night in OT that cost Vegas the win.
E'ffed again!
How was that goal not a goal??
Do these officials want the Caps to move on??

Unreal!

Go CSU & PITT Panthers

I believe there was a difference in the interference on the SJ goalie last night and the play on Murray today ...... last night the SJ goalie was hit by the Vegas player coming from behind the net, knocked over and fell way toward the side of the crease, and never had a chance to reset to make the save/or a play on the puck ...... Murray's right leg was interfered with and the leg was straightened but he did reset in a position to make a save ..... the problem was, Murray was way too deep in the net and needed to power push out to get to the corner of the crease to have a better chance to make the save ..... because his right leg was straightened out by the interference, he could not get out to the corner of the crease and you can see on the replay that he tried to move out and could only move inches and it was all because his leg was not in a position to move because of the interference...... so the powers to be ruled that Murray had a chance to reset and make the save, when I would argue that the interference inhibited his ability to make the save by not allowing him to get to the position he would have, if there was no interference.

Last edited:
The NHL is and always will be a second rate sport.

And you can pin it on one thing.

Toronto, Canada.

Here's the simple bottom line on the officiating and rulings in today's game. "Hey Toronto, what do you think? Ummmmm....we had a lot of series end early in Rd 1, this is one of our key series, if we rule for the Pens, this series possibly could be over in 4-5 games. So....no goal. No interference. No head shot."

End of story.

I believe there was a difference in the interference on the SJ goalie last night and the play on Murray today ...... last night the SJ goalie was hit by the Vegas player coming from behind the net, knocked over and fell way toward the side of the crease, and never had a chance to reset to make the save/or a play on the puck ...... Murray's right leg was interfered with and the leg was straightened but he did reset in a position to make a save ..... the problem was, Murray was way too deep in the net and needed to power push out to get to the corner of the crease to have a better chance to make the save ..... because his right leg was straightened out by the interference, he could not power push and you can see on the replay that he tried to move out and could only move inches and it was all because his leg was not in a position to move because of the interference...... so the powers to be ruled that Murray had a chance to reset and make the save, when I would argue that the interference inhibited his ability to make the save by not allowing him to get to the position he would have, if there was no interference.
The Vegas goal, the player never touches the goalie, just his stick. But it was enough to turn the goalie out of position. The goalie couldn't plant to reposition himself.

The amount of time between contact and goal is actually longer during the disallowed goal in Vegas.

Also, the rules clearly state

Goals should be disallowed only if: (1) an attacking player, either by his positioning or by contact, impairs the goalkeeper's ability to move freely within his crease or defend his goal; or (2) an attacking player initiates intentional or deliberate contact with a goalkeeper, inside or outside of his goal crease.

also
69.3 Contact Inside the Goal Crease - If an attacking player initiates contact with a goalkeeper, incidental or otherwise, while the goalkeeper is in his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.

Here's the simple bottom line on the officiating and rulings in today's game. "Hey Toronto, what do you think? Ummmmm....we had a lot of series end early in Rd 1, this is one of our key series, if we rule for the Pens, this series possibly could be over in 4-5 games. So....no goal. No interference. No head shot."

End of story.

Exactly, at least it's what it felt like today. Brutal no calls, the interference that wasn't, the goal that wasn't...it all looked a little one sided. I was even screaming on the odd man rush that was stopped when Niskanen backed into the ref.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT