ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What local news do you watch....

pitt-girl

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 16, 2004
(If you watch at all.) The weatherman thread got me to thinking how loyal people are to local stations.

I'm WTAE all the way. Not sure why exactly but I feel like it's the most professional broadcast. In a pinch KDKA. Pass totally on WPXI.

As I wrote in the other thread, my wife rules the evening TV roost, and she is essentially automatic with KDKA each evening. I don't really think to change it. When we do switch it's typically to WTAE. The odd time we have WPXI on, the newscast seems rather low budget in comparo.

I should add that the only time I catch the local news is very early or very late. Not sure what happens in between. ;)

Also, just speaking for myself, with all the editorialized national news outlets, I've definitely turned back to local. I just want the news without all the drama. I rarely if ever watch any of the big boys including CNN, Fox, etc., which was the exact opposite even 10 years ago.

I should add that the only time I catch the local news is very early or very late. Not sure what happens in between. ;)

Also, just speaking for myself, with all the editorialized national news outlets, I've definitely turned back to local. I just want the news without all the drama. I rarely if ever watch any of the big boys including CNN, Fox, etc., which was the exact opposite even 10 years ago.
I agree! Can't handle the national networks or the cable news channels. Absurdly biased. With the local news, they are so focused perhaps to a fault on local weather, fires, weather, city crimes, weather, city politics, weather, Steelers, and weather :D ... as a result they give "just the facts" on the national or international news ... but this is precisely all I need.

I know a guy that got into a fight with Ken Rice at a fast food restaurant. It might be the funniest story ever.

In a respectable note, I met Peggy finnegan a few times and she literally has magical eyes. I know, sounds cheesy but damned if you don’t meet her in person and get lost in her eyes. This blue that I’ve never seen. And this from a guy who NEVER notices a woman’s eyes.

I still have a thing for darieth Chisholm, I really want her to do weird and offensive things to me. Richie walsh is the man, the lone pitt fan in Pgh media. We should be nicer to him, despite his propensity for premature reporting.

Last edited:
I know a guy that got into a fight with Ken rice at a fast food restaurant. It might be the funniest story ever.

In a respectable note, I met Peggy finnegan a few times and she literally has magical eyes. I know, sounds cheesy but damned if you don’t meet her in person and get lost in her eyes. This blue that I’ve never seen. And this from a guy who NEVER notices a woman’s eyes.

I still have a thing for darieth Chisholm, I really want her to do weird and offensive things to me. Richie walsh is the man, the line pitt fan in Pgh media. We should be nicer to him, despite his propensity for premature reporting.

Dude, Peggy finnegan, I kid you not if you have the pleasure of meeting her, she is genuinely a great person. I don’t know her from squat but talked to her and her hubby and they talk to you like you knew them for years.

A great quality that you rarely see.

Reactions: pitt-girl
I catch the local news on the drive to and from work. Listen to Fox and CNN while getting ready for work. Weather takes 10 seconds on TV or on line when I awake. I sometimes catch the evening local news, but I'm not loyal to any local station.

I know a guy that got into a fight with Ken rice at a fast food restaurant. It might be the funniest story ever.

I still have a thing for darieth Chisholm, I really want her to do weird and offensive things to me. Richie walsh is the man, the lone pitt fan in Pgh media. We should be nicer to him, despite his propensity for premature reporting.
I know Peggy well. I'll share your observations. ;)

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Channel 4 never came in clear, so my family was always a channel 11 or channel 2 family. Now I rarely am home from work in time for the news, but if we do, it’s kdka.

KDKA blows the others out of the water, IMO. At times, WPXI productions feels like amateur hour.

(If you watch at all.) The weatherman thread got me to thinking how loyal people are to local stations.

I'm WTAE all the way. Not sure why exactly but I feel like it's the most professional broadcast. In a pinch KDKA. Pass totally on WPXI.
At one time, in the 70s and into the 80s I watched WTAE regularly. Now I seldom turn on local news.

WTAE and WPXI are up on streaming platforms. Can some of you call/email KDKA and tell them to get with the times? I tried emailing them but got no response.

I bagged Chanel 11 when Fedko took over the sports. What a loud mouth obnoxious tool. Since he is gone I sometimes check out their brodcast.

Never watch WTAE. All of their on air people deliver the news like a nuclear event is taking place. Only on action news !!!!! Garbage

When I do watch it’s only at the 6 o’clock hour and usually KDKA. They suck less than the others I prefer pompeani and his sidekicks.

There's one local news station (WRAL) that has a great crew of meteorologists in my area.

The thing is that I almost never watch the TV news (unless there's a storm of some sort coming); I watch the forecasts on their website.

WTAE in our house. My wife prefers them and likes their morning crew. I rarely pay attention to anything but weather and sports.

Haven’t watched national news on any of the majors nor on cable lately, and I’ve been much happier and less stressed! I just want the news and not 85 negative biased reports about things I don’t care about. I don’t value anchors opinions at all.

Reactions: pitt-girl
KDKA mostly. WPXI I feel like I am watching some station out of Huntingdon WV anymore. WTAE on a Sat or Sunday AM

We only watch WTAE at 11:00 PM. I'm actually a fan of Stockey....seems like a nice guy. Hall & Clark are OK, though I don't get why they stage them standing around with their tablets? That means they can't wear jeans or yoga pants behind the desk.
We avoid the national newscasts....David Muir has one skinny black tie and leans to the left (physically....the political posture is a requirement)....annoys me.
Anybody else miss Bill Curry??

Reactions: bayardstreet
We only watch WTAE at 11:00 PM. I'm actually a fan of Stockey....seems like a nice guy. Hall & Clark are OK, though I don't get why they stage them standing around with their tablets? That means they can't wear jeans or yoga pants behind the desk.
We avoid the national newscasts....David Muir has one skinny black tie and leans to the left (physically....the political posture is a requirement)....annoys me.
Anybody else miss Bill Curry??
Mr. Pitt-girl finds the way David Muir stands or sits with stiffly bent elbows very odd. And if you watch him for a little while, it's true. Like a wooden marching solider.

I no longer live in the area but will always put on WTAE when I'm in town.

WPXI has always been the worst when it came to production values, if you search on YouTube there's a few full newscasts from all three channels from the late 70's to the early 80's and channel 11 was so far behind the other two, they were shooting on film well into the 80's.

The 5 o’clock anchor from WTAE was at ours tailgate a few times several years ago. Was not very pleasant so we avoid her newscast . WTAE has best pitt coverage i think

I used to go to Doc's tailgate at Steelers games and a lot of the media guys would stop by. Andrew Stockey was always there and a really good dude. I remember asking him one time "don't you guys get sick of talking about the Steelers" and he laughed and agreed but he said "that's what moves the needle".

I watch Channel 11 for morning and PM I think they do the best job especially weather wise but I have to say the morning news has slid a bit so I've been watching Channel 2 but I can only take Pompeani daughter in brief showings so I switch back and fourth during the morning but channel 11 at night but It urn it as soon as albie comes on

There's one local news station (WRAL) that has a great crew of meteorologists in my area.

The thing is that I almost never watch the TV news (unless there's a storm of some sort coming); I watch the forecasts on their website.
My buddy lived next door to weatherman Greg in Cary way back. I think he was on Wral

Loved WRAL

My two favorite things local weather does...........

1) is they put the forecasts of all of these towns around Western Pa on a scroll running below (I think Channel 4 does this).......I mean today in New Kensington it will partly cloudy with a high of 42 and low of 34. Today in Oakmont is will be partly cloudy with a high of 42 and low of 34. Today in Murraysville it will partly cloudy with a high of 42 and a low of 35. Like in one of those towns (all within 10 miles of each other) is going to be 72 degrees and sunny. Just pick a town in the northwest part of the viewing area like New Castle, North like Butler, Northeast like Punxsytawney, East like Latrobe, Southeast like Uniontown, South like Morgantown, Southwest like Washington, Pittsburgh can rep Allegheny county as it is in the center and "we're good".

2) When a particular thunderstorm is coming, they are trying to be so precise that they come up with these names that aren't even on the maps to "personalize" it, like in 10 minutes the storm will be over the Willoughby household, I mean I think they literally make up names. Where I live, they said "Sligo". Sligo is a friggin ghosttown that disappeared 100 years ago or more. I have lived in this area for 50 years, and I have never ever heard a native say "Sligo" in reference to the area. But damn some brilliant news director saw this on some map sometime and figured "hey, use that name, that will pinpoint the storm accurately".........I think this is hilarious, they do this all the time.

SCTV News with co-anchors Floyd Robertson and Earl Camembert

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT