ADVERTISEMENT

Difference Between Rudolf and Pickett

i truly love Mason's ability to stick in the pocket under complete distress and make a throw. it's his strongest trait, and well probably his only one..

Again, i really like Mason (AS A BACKUP) and I hope we sign him back, he competes with Kenny under a new OC and is rewarded with a nice contract and loses out but remains a valuable team player and someone that can come in and win some games if (or more likely WHEN) kenny gets hurt again.

Now leaving my dream world and coming back to reality. i think it's best for him to go elsewhere. If he re-signs, he will be a fan favorite and every single incomplete pass Kenny throws, fans will be screaming for Mason..

The Steelers defense would've had to hold the Bills offense to under 17 points to win that game with Pickett yesterday. If the Steelers want to contend, they need to find an answer at QB because it's not on the roster right now.
IF Pickett was healthy enough he could have run much more than Rudolf can. That could have been the difference but we will never know now.

The Steelers defense would've had to hold the Bills offense to under 17 points to win that game with Pickett yesterday. If the Steelers want to contend, they need to find an answer at QB because it's not on the roster right now.
That’s a fair and educated opinion based on a significant body of work. However 90% of that work was under Canada and we see how things changed. And yeah Pickett has played VERY well once Canada was gone while not scoring 20+ in his only full game without him…but 20 points isn’t always a given. Ask Pat Mahomes. He put up Canada type points in most games down the stretch this season.

That’s a fair and educated opinion based on a significant body of work. However 90% of that work was under Canada and we see how things changed. And yeah Pickett has played VERY well once Canada was gone while not scoring 20+ in his only full game without him…but 20 points isn’t always a given. Ask Pat Mahomes. He put up Canada type points in most games down the stretch this season.
Almost like the offensive system and personnel matters.

It's beyond working under Canada. At some point you expect your first-round QB to step up and make plays on his own. As each game went by, it looks more and more like Pickett needs to be surrounded by talent and great coaching to succeed. If that's the case, he's probably not your guy going forward.

Reactions: Millerton24
I think that goes hand in hand a player has to have talent but he needs talented skill guys around him and a solid offensive line. Quarterback coach can also help the process. The Steeler's were not pass blocking well nor running the ball most of the season. It was those last three games where it improved. Plus, OC Canada was still employed. The Steelers were 7-4 when Pickett was hurt. Let them go at it in the summer sees who pulls ahead. Pickett can still get it done.

can Tomlin even get a big name OC even IF he wants one, which most of us question?

Dude is disgruntled, fan base is calling for his head, think he's almost year to year with the contract at this point, rumors of him possibly stepping down, would a big name OC even want this job?

i just feel like the inevitable steeler/tomlin/rooney move is coming with an internal promotion of faulkner or sullivan to the OC job. As crazy as that sounds, that's such a Tomlin - "steelers way" hire.

Almost like the offensive system and personnel matters.
Yep. Yesterday Mason was a victim of many of the team-issues that have hurt Kenny. Pass catchers not protecting the ball, OL giving up immediate pressure, WR running wrong routes, dumb play calling (5 curls on 2nd and goal from the 4).

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is a team problem. It's a bad scheme and I think there are discipline/focus issues that are hurting the bottom line on offense. Every QB will be a worse version of himself on this team right now. Mahomes is not an All Pro QB on the 2022-2023 Steelers.

can Tomlin even get a big name OC even IF he wants one, which most of us question?

Dude is disgruntled, fan base is calling for his head, think he's almost year to year with the contract at this point, rumors of him possibly stepping down, would a big name OC even want this job?

i just feel like the inevitable steeler/tomlin/rooney move is coming with an internal promotion of faulkner or sullivan to the OC job. As crazy as that sounds, that's such a Tomlin - "steelers way" hire.
While I like Coach Tomlin I think it is time for a change at the top. This feels like the right time to make this change.

giphy.gif

As suppose to the 17 mason put up ?

The DC is a far bigger issue

They should have given Flores the DC/AHC title
So the answer is Eric Bienemy as OC/AHC for the offensive side

Then hire a new DC too

I’m ambivalent on Tomlin -
But I’d like to see him get his last year to have a last shot at a playoff run

Last edited:
The DC is a far bigger issue

They should have given Flores the DC/AHC title
So the answer is Eric Bienemy as OC/AHC for the offensive side

Then hire a new DC too

I’m ambivalent on Tomlin -
But I’d like to see him get his last year to have a last shot at a playoff run
playoff run ? Gtfo

i truly love Mason's ability to stick in the pocket under complete distress and make a throw. it's his strongest trait, and well probably his only one..

Again, i really like Mason (AS A BACKUP) and I hope we sign him back, he competes with Kenny under a new OC and is rewarded with a nice contract and loses out but remains a valuable team player and someone that can come in and win some games if (or more likely WHEN) kenny gets hurt again.

Now leaving my dream world and coming back to reality. i think it's best for him to go elsewhere. If he re-signs, he will be a fan favorite and every single incomplete pass Kenny throws, fans will be screaming for Mason..
Z we went back and forth on this and this is my public acknowledgement that you were absolutely SORTA right. Ha ha

I agree with you that Mason does hang in the pocket much better than KP, almost to a fault some times (hes gotten a bit lucky when hes hung on to the ball too long and gotten smacked and threw a bad pass or almost fumbled). IMO that is a weakness with KP that he needs to address.

Now having said that Im not sure how much of Rudys hanging in there is the residue of the fact that until the Buffalo game he hasnt faced the frequent jail breaks that KP has. And on the flip side how much of KPs bailing the pocket has to do with getting body slammed regularly. I personally think its a bit of both.

I also think Rudy benefited from the two headed OC gradually tweaking the offense to become less predictable and actually throwing over the middle more. Again I recognize one could argue that Canada Dry didnt do that because he was afraid KP couldnt make those throws and they have more confidence in Rudy but if you'll recall in the CInci game, they used Muth over the middle a lot more than in previous weeks.

And finally we did see RUdys stats come back to earth when they played better defenses in the Ravens and BUffalo

So for sure Rudy played decent to well. As to what KP would have done is pure speculation. I suppose welll find out next year when he gets the benefit of a New OC and hopefully an even better OL and possibly more weapons.

To reiterate, Im not 100% sold on KP. I dont think he will be elite but I think he could be a Cousins kind of QB you CAN win championships with.

And Id like to see Rudy resigned and provide competition with the Steelers heading into next year. But I personally see him signing elsewhere.

It's beyond working under Canada. At some point you expect your first-round QB to step up and make plays on his own. As each game went by, it looks more and more like Pickett needs to be surrounded by talent and great coaching to succeed. If that's the case, he's probably not your guy going forward.
So does that mean the great Hurts, Lawrence and Tua are busts as well?

This absolutely cannot happen. Rooney would need to step in and say no. This offensive staff needs a big shakeup.

Yep. Yesterday Mason was a victim of many of the team-issues that have hurt Kenny. Pass catchers not protecting the ball, OL giving up immediate pressure, WR running wrong routes, dumb play calling (5 curls on 2nd and goal from the 4).

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is a team problem. It's a bad scheme and I think there are discipline/focus issues that are hurting the bottom line on offense. Every QB will be a worse version of himself on this team right now. Mahomes is not an All Pro QB on the 2022-2023 Steelers.
Yup. The sooner more people accept that, the better of the franchise will be because real changes can be made.

What you are describing is the norm for 90% of the QB’s drafted where he was.

hmm, i think i'd put money on the locker room wanting Mason over Pickett but that's just a guess. Dont think you have to be an insider to guess what guy Pickens, Dionte and Muth prefer, that's for sure..

hmm, i think i'd put money on the locker room wanting Mason over Pickett but that's just a guess. Dont think you have to be an insider to guess what guy Pickens, Dionte and Muth prefer, that's for sure..
uFA last season
UFA this season
Nobody - even the mouthy receivers talked about Mason until Kenny was hurt , and Mitch sucked

Muth’s career game came with Kenny as QB

DJ went an entire season without a TD until Kenny .

That's why those guys don't get big second contracts with their original drafting teams.

The Steelers are not winning a Super Bowl playing that style of football. They're not winning a playoff game that way either.
They had a HOF QB and couldn’t win that way. Change the offense. Step into the year 2024. And if Pickett looks like rubbish then yeah he will be a career backup. But some of you speaking in absolutes that Pickett is not the answer based on what we have seen to date are a bit too premature.

They had a HOF QB and couldn’t win that way. Change the offense. Step into the year 2024. And if Pickett looks like rubbish then yeah he will be a career backup. But some of you speaking in absolutes that Pickett is not the answer based on what we have seen to date are a bit too premature.
I'm fine giving him another year, but do you have any confidence this coaching staff can set Pickett up to succeed in Pittsburgh? Do you think Pickett can thrive in this current environment? I thought it was pretty obvious this staff seemed clueless on how to properly develop a QB and setup a young QB to succeed.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I'm fine giving him another year, but do you have any confidence this coaching staff can set Pickett up to succeed in Pittsburgh? Do you think Pickett can thrive in this current environment? I thought it was pretty obvious this staff seemed clueless on how to properly develop a QB and setup a young QB to succeed.
I’m with you. Like I said, we need an OC who doesn’t reside in the Stone Age. Heck I heard Tomlin apologist Peter King today finally acknowledge that we won’t know until the coaching staff is adequate and it hasn’t been.

We don’t even know if Tomlin will be here next year, and if he is, what kind of quality OC would come here for a lame duck coach in the last year of his contract? The big mistake was putting their 1st round QB in the hands of a gym teacher. Because we are a year out and still don’t know. I’d be fine for Kenny to go somewhere else with a real system and be the #2. Because this place is a mess.

Reactions: Burgh15
That's why those guys don't get big second contracts with their original drafting teams.

The Steelers are not winning a Super Bowl playing that style of football. They're not winning a playoff game that way either.
We won 1 Super Bowl with a HOF QB .
And it took an all time defensive TD and an all time catch at the end to win

Same QB won another superbowl being terrible in the game, so our WR threw a TD pass.

He lost another SB by throwing a pick 6 and another INT

Buddy -
There are plenty of ways to win .

Nick Foles one - he’s not even a starter anywhere
The corpse of Peyton manning won one with a dead arm

Sure it’s easier to contend with say an all time great Tom Brady or a future HOF in his prime Mahomes

But Kenny can win games and that’s what matters

Same QB won another superbowl being terrible in the game, so our WR threw a TD pass.

Buddy -

Sure it’s easier to contend with say an all time great Tom Brady or a future HOF in his prime Mahomes

Smart money pursues the easier route.
Kenny "Dilfer'd" his way to 7 wins.

Smart money pursues the easier route.
Kenny "Dilfer'd" his way to 7 wins.
Smarter money is we won’t trade for a QB and won’t ever be bad enough at the right time to draft high enough to pick one

Because Kenny will win us game

Buddy -

Okay. If you think a QB who doesn't throw touchdowns and needs to lean on a dominant defense then go for it. I think there are more reliable ways.

Smarter money is we won’t trade for a QB and won’t ever be bad enough at the right time to draft high enough to pick one

Because Kenny will win us game
Kenny will give them plenty of chances to draft high enough. Are they not picking at same spot as they took him next year?
Defense is aging fast, won't be able to bail him out much longer.

i cant believe Josh Allen Fake Slide'd us last night. damn if i dont like it when your QB does it to the other team vs gettin it done to you..

Kenny will give them plenty of chances to draft high enough. Are they not picking at same spot as they took him next year?
Defense is aging fast, won't be able to bail him out much longer.
Aren’t you proving my point ?
We are drafting around 20. Just like after our HOF QB’s last season
That’s not a recipe for finding a franchise qb-
Thank you for agreeing

Mediocre mason sucks . Rewarding mediocrity
Beats the hell out of looking up at mediocrity. There is not a starting NFL QB on the roster. Draft a QB and trade for one. Then have the competition decide. If Kenny wins the job fine. If not, its on him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT