ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Chad Brown and Steelers 'walk' players

don't forget Keith Gary taken and Anthony Washington taken instead of Rickey Jackson or Carlton Williamson.
Anthony Washington over Howie Long in round two hurt. Washington is remembered most by me as being on the Redskins in 1983 and is the last guy trying to chase down Marcus Allen on his crazy TD run in that Super Bowl.

The Steelers were always chasing pass rushers because they whiffed on so many.

In 1978 they drafted Willie Fry from Notre Dame in round two who was cut fairly quickly.

In 1979, they hit on Board and cut him.

In 1980, with two second-round picks, PIT picked John Goodman and Bob Kohrs over Rulon Jones. Busts.

In 1981, Keith Gary. Mediocre player.

In 1982 PIT drafted a decent guy in Edmund Nelson and found Keith Willis as an UDFA.

I think a lot of these misses, along with Rivera's accident, forced Noll to keep drafting D-linemen high.

The worst was Aaron Jones. The Noll book, His Life's Work, covered the scouting of Jones and how the Eastern Kentucky coach in meetings with the Steelers kept changing the topic from Jones to his left tackle, John Jackson. He was hinting not to draft Jones but couldn't flat-out say it. The story is the card read Lorenzo White and it was changed to Jones at the last minute. That led to the awful Worley pick a year later, who Noll thought was the next Jim Brown. Ouch.

Anthony Washington over Howie Long in round two hurt. Washington is remembered most by me as being on the Redskins in 1983 and is the last guy trying to chase down Marcus Allen on his crazy TD run in that Super Bowl.

The Steelers were always chasing pass rushers because they whiffed on so many.

In 1978 they drafted Willie Fry from Notre Dame in round two who was cut fairly quickly.

In 1979, they hit on Board and cut him.

In 1980, with two second-round picks, PIT picked John Goodman and Bob Kohrs over Rulon Jones. Busts.

In 1981, Keith Gary. Mediocre player.

In 1982 PIT drafted a decent guy in Edmund Nelson and found Keith Willis as an UDFA.

I think a lot of these misses, along with Rivera's accident, forced Noll to keep drafting D-linemen high.

The worst was Aaron Jones. The Noll book, His Life's Work, covered the scouting of Jones and how the Eastern Kentucky coach in meetings with the Steelers kept changing the topic from Jones to his left tackle, John Jackson. He was hinting not to draft Jones but couldn't flat-out say it. The story is the card read Lorenzo White and it was changed to Jones at the last minute. That led to the awful Worley pick a year later, who Noll thought was the next Jim Brown. Ouch.

for as great as the draft was to the Steelers in the 70's, it was that bad to them in the 80's. Awful, aside from Rod Woodson & Louis Lipps.

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
for as great as the draft was to the Steelers in the 70's, it was that bad to them in the 80's. Awful, aside from Rod Woodson & Louis Lipps.
What is incredible is how bad the 1985 draft picks were in the first three rounds and it seems to be forgotten. Sims, who couldn't see the field, Mark Behning out of Nebraska who was so bad he played in only two games total, both in 1986 and was cut. The third-round pick, Lifford Mobley (sp?) was cut in training camp as a rookie and latched on with Miami and I think played into the 1990s.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT