ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers/Colts

No - you would be wrong. You are just a homer. That was a clean sack.

Lol. Sterratore said that the reason why it should be a penalty is because there were lots of players around the play, so the defender didn't have a chance to roll his weight off the sack. If you or Gene could point out to me where in the rule book that it says that it's a penalty for coming down on the quarterback with all your weight except for when there are other players nearby then I will admit that yeah, I was wrong.

I have a feeling though that neither you nor Gene is going to be able to point that part of the rule book out for me. I wonder why that is?

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Lol. Sterratore said that the reason why it should be a penalty is because there were lots of players around the play, so the defender didn't have a chance to roll his weight off the sack. If you or Gene could point out to me where in the rule book that it says that it's a penalty for coming down on the quarterback with all your weight except for when there are other players nearby then I will admit that yeah, I was wrong.

I have a feeling though that neither you nor Gene is going to be able to point that part of the rule book out for me. I wonder why that is?
You talk an awful lot about rules. Have you ever officiated at any level?

How do you now what is discussed at NFL officials meetings? I’ll take Gene’s word over yours.

Not beyond youth level.

Now I have to ask, do you have to be an NFL ref to be able to read and understand NFL rules? Or any other sport for that matter?
There are a ton of philosophical things that go into a play. Holding would be one good example in football. If you went by the letter of law strictly based on the rule book, then you would constantly have a holding call.

There are a ton of philosophical things that go into a play. Holding would be one good example in football. If you went by the letter of law strictly based on the rule book, then you would constantly have a holding call.

That is absolutely true.

One of those philosophical things is the NFL's philosophy that if a defender sacking a quarterback comes down with all this weight on the quarterback it is roughing the passer. As I said before, I think it's a dumb philosophy. But it is their philosophy and their rule, and it gets called all the time.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Pickens not helping his QB out. This happens in plain site today. Last year it was incognito while not running proper routes.

That is absolutely true.

One of those philosophical things is the NFL's philosophy that if a defender sacking a quarterback comes down with all this weight on the quarterback it is roughing the passer. As I said before, I think it's a dumb philosophy. But it is their philosophy and their rule, and it gets called all the time.
The guy simply sacked him. This isn’t the Matrix. He can’t just stop. It’s the same reason why the call on Minkah was bad.

He looked darn good that drive and is able to stay healthy.

He certainly made a nice run on that pass reception.

And I agree, one of the best things about him is that they give him a big load and he carries it without getting hurt. He's not unique in that regard, but there aren't many in that club.

That is absolutely true.

It was a textbook penalty…the type they show refs in training classes. I’m not sure what people see.

The guy simply sacked him. This isn’t the Matrix. He can’t just stop. It’s the same reason why the call on Minkah was bad.
It’s why I said to swallow the whistle. Sometimes these rules and their application lack logic.

Even if the Stillers don't come back and win this, them showing some life here in the second half and putting together a couple of nice drives might be a good sign for the future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT